Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How far do you guys push 91 fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always ran straight E85 in my racecars. But in my daily driver ecoboost F150, it allowed me to take the tune QUITE a bit further using a single 15gph nozzle with 50/50 mix. My turbos were already practically maxed out, but it allowed me to run alot more timing which equated to a solid 50wtq or more on the same boost if I had to guess. I need to run 100% meth though because this factory fuel system is MAXED. Its a bitch to tune around the meth though in the Ford Calibration. The PCM does NOT like it. Leave it to Ford.

Problem is I think my meth pump can only handle 50/50 max mixture. If I am not mistaken, only 1 manufacturer sells a pump with a diaphragm that is compatible with high concentrations (>50%) of methanol. Anyone have feedback on this? Sorry to derail this thread guys.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 741 Likes on 545 Posts

There is no right answer for the question. Going to be different for every setup…

On the same long block, a setup with a quality A2W IC and nice efficient twin turbo setup will go much farther than a cheapie china clone single turbo and china A2A on pump fuel.

Vary the static compression with heads or HG's or dynamic compression with cam selection and it will also allow for more or less power before knock sets in on an octane limited setup. Altitude and ambient air temps play a big roll along with a ton of other variables.

For the most part, reading the plugs correctly will tell you when your specific setup is getting close to the edge tune wise.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 08-09-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by roastin240
I have always ran straight E85 in my racecars.
where did you get it? i heard the racetrac on eau gallie just started getting it, but im not aware of anywhere else around that has it.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 554 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
There is no right answer for the question. Going to be different for every setup…

On the same long block, a setup with a quality A2W IC and nice efficient twin turbo setup will go much farther than a cheapie china clone single turbo and china A2A on pump fuel.

Vary the static compression with heads or HG's or dynamic compression with cam selection and it will also allow for more or less power before knock sets in on an octane limited setup. Altitude and ambient air temps play a big roll along with a ton of other variables.

For the most part, reading the plugs correctly will tell you when your specific setup is getting close to the edge tune wise.
This is pretty much what I thought, when I said my tuner wouldn't suggest going over 12-13 lbs. guys on here scoffed and bad mouthed my tuner.
My tuner knows my combination however so perhaps 12-13 lbs. is close to the limit for my specific combination in his professional opinion.
Case in point I recently talked to a guy with a low compression 5.3 who safely runs 15-16 lbs. on pump only on a combination very similar to mine.

Quick Reply: How far do you guys push 91 fuel?