Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Solid rod ended Lca or poly

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Solid rod ended Lca or poly

I'm finally about to lose the 10 bolt in favor of a real rear end. I was at the track not long ago and busted a pinion yoke, which I'm suspecting the stock Lca bushings may have been the root cause. I'm about to change them in favor of something stiffer, but in my research I haven't found the data I'm looking for. What I'm wanting to know is, are there any fast guys around here still using poly bushings instead of the solid ended control arms? I want the rear to be rigid of course, to keep from breaking more yokes.... but if I can help it, keep the ride somewhat liveable. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Almost my entire rear suspension is comprised of Heim Joints and for a street car its not what I would recommend.
I can feel every little bump and crack in the road and as they wear they get a little play in them they clunk over sharp bumps. (expansion joints, pot holes etc.)
I called the guy at UMI because I thought there was problem but he said that's very normal and to be expected from a race suspension used on the street.
On the plus side the car goes straight as an arrow under power, there is zero wheel hop and in the corners its very solid.
I guess it just depends on what your willing to live.
$.02
Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The ******
Almost my entire rear suspension is comprised of Heim Joints and for a street car its not what I would recommend.
I can feel every little bump and crack in the road and as they wear they get a little play in them they clunk over sharp bumps. (expansion joints, pot holes etc.)
I called the guy at UMI because I thought there was problem but he said that's very normal and to be expected from a race suspension used on the street.
On the plus side the car goes straight as an arrow under power, there is zero wheel hop and in the corners its very solid.
I guess it just depends on what your willing to live.
$.02
Thanks. A little of topic, but I see in your sig that you are M6 with a 12 bolt. Have you had any issues at the track sidestepping the clutch with that 12 bolt. I'm looking at buying one here very soon, and although I'm automatic now..... just want to know how it's working for you.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I haven't had any issues with it and I beat on it every time I drive it.
People say that when you throw a sticky tire on and launch hard that it will start to howl, nothing fails or eats itself up, just howls.
When I got my car it howled on accel w/ 4.10's at 50 mph pretty badly but after I put in a used set of 3.73's and set it up correctly it barely makes any noise even with the solid mounted torque arm, I also haven't launched it with a race tire yet I might add.
I would do lots of research before deciding but I'd be leaning toward a 9" personally.
The 12 Bolt uses 3 and 4 series carriers so if you want to change gears sometimes you need to change the carrier, hence the reason I went 3.73 since I wasn't about to buy a new $700 Traclock lol.
I don't think you can go wrong with either the 9" or 12 Bolt really.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

i use heims front and rear. yeah it's noisy, but it's nice and tight and I have a high tolerance for NVH.

they do require a little care though. wipe them of road grit and then a dry film ptfe lube spray everynow and again.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Solids on mine. I wish i wouldnt have wasted money on polys first go round.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The ******
I haven't had any issues with it and I beat on it every time I drive it.
People say that when you throw a sticky tire on and launch hard that it will start to howl, nothing fails or eats itself up, just howls.
When I got my car it howled on accel w/ 4.10's at 50 mph pretty badly but after I put in a used set of 3.73's and set it up correctly it barely makes any noise even with the solid mounted torque arm, I also haven't launched it with a race tire yet I might add.
I would do lots of research before deciding but I'd be leaning toward a 9" personally.
The 12 Bolt uses 3 and 4 series carriers so if you want to change gears sometimes you need to change the carrier, hence the reason I went 3.73 since I wasn't about to buy a new $700 Traclock lol.
I don't think you can go wrong with either the 9" or 12 Bolt really.
Well, I thought I had a 12 bolt locked down in the parts classified section..... but the guy fell off the face of the earth, I cannot understand people like that. Anyway, I think I may go either way, be it 12 bolt or 9 inch.... kinda whatever comes my way type deal.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Solids on mine. I wish i wouldnt have wasted money on polys first go round.
Did you have trouble deforming the poly bushings? Looks like your car leaves fairly hard in the sig pic.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Did you have trouble deforming the poly bushings? Looks like your car leaves fairly hard in the sig pic.
No, they were fine when i pulled them off. But solids articulate better and dont ride any worse and you dont get grease on your hands fooling with them. No brainer.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went 10.6 with my 6 speed on factory 130k mile lcas lol. But that car was a daily driver with stock muffler, wheels and no gauges in the interior. No reason to run anything but solid lca heims if u plan to go fast.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm doing heims on the axle, polys on the frame, I'll let you know how rides.....

Quick Reply: Solid rod ended Lca or poly