Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Really weird puff of smoke on hot start only

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
It's not fuel definitely oil. I really dont think it's the turbo. If it leaked oil into the turbine housing it would still be there 2 hours or days later. It's like something leaks but then if the engine cools down it disappears.

This is seriously so weird. It all started after the engine rebuold. And it was just a basic rebuild. Just new bearings, rings, cam, gaskets.
The reason you don't see it on a cold startup is, the turbo is still cold would be my guess. But I'm tellin ya dude, your situation sounds EXACTLY like my experience...... down to the smoke immediately after a rebuild.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of hope
It's the turbo and not my new engine.

I'm going to get it nice and hot, then get a borescope in the downpipe so I can see if there's any oil leaking into the turbine housing also pull the air filter see if I can see anything on that side and go from there
Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them same symptom. I would cold start the car no smoke. Drive 65 miles to work and stop to get food. Start the car after 5 min and smoke cloud from hell. After messing with its awhile pulled the turbo and sure enough turbine seal was bad. Cold start it wouldn't burn the oil in the turbine but warm it would leak into the turbine and cause unnoticeable smoke when the engine was running or was coming out a little at a time. When I turned it off hot it would fill the pipe like fog then when I started the car it all came out at once. Pulled the turbo apart and the piston seal was burnt and broken. A bunch of metal was packed around it even though the bearings were still good and tight. I switched from the gt45 80mm vs racing turbo to an s480 forced inductions and never had any smoke again. Go figure I bought a quality turbo and it didn't smoke anymore. Lol. Just my experience.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok good to know. I have a feeling the turbo is going back to Comp for a rebuild. They want $375 for a rebuild but Im in Chicago and they are in California so it may a little to ship and a lot of down time. Oh well if that fixes it and its not my new motor I'm happy.

Alex
Old 08-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw your video Alex, legit street cars and I believe it's your turbo as well, get it rebuilt like your were saying and it should fix the issue.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcamaroman
I just saw your video Alex, legit street cars and I believe it's your turbo as well, get it rebuilt like your were saying and it should fix the issue.
Given the fact that this was 5 years ago, it's probably safe to say he's got it sorted out by now.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Given the fact that this was 5 years ago, it's probably safe to say he's got it sorted out by now.
No he didn't resolve it, he just posted about this exact issue and car today on his YouTube channel, check out legitstreetcars on YouTube and you'll see it's his latest video
Old 08-24-2022, 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah I watch all of Alex' videos it's probably my favorite YT channel. Knowing him and his desire to create content, he'll get the turbo back try it, and see if that was the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Redcamaroman (08-24-2022)
Old 11-28-2023, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this one is old, but just curious if the issue was ever solved.

Quick Reply: Really weird puff of smoke on hot start only