Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

All You Budget/China Builders (I'm guilty), this may change

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default All You Budget/China Builders (I'm guilty), this may change

Check this out. I am not opposed to this. Will require more out of my pocket. But Americans have had their IP stolen for many many years. I really disagree when they blatently copy a product and put the BRANDING on the product. Like the TIAL gates for example. SMH:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...n-intellectual

Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Good.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, TiAL has been wronged like few others in this regard (that we know of, there are probably lots of others).
Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I call bs. Just some bullshit saber rattling to appease trump fans. There is no practical way to enforce that. Throw tariffs on their exports to the US maybe? They'd reciprocate immediately and the ones left paying the bill would be us consumers.

the only way forward is to continue to out engineer them by supporting education. We sure as hell aren't gonna out manufacture them.

my 2 cents.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 500 Likes on 387 Posts

Good to see Trump making more progress in the interest of our country.
I heard a handful of booths got shut down at SEMA for counterfeiting performance parts which is awesome.
I don't use Chinese crap so I don't care if they tax the **** out of it, I'd rather buy used american parts then new Chinese crap. (stepping off my soapbox now)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Yeah, TiAL has been wronged like few others in this regard (that we know of, there are probably lots of others).
The list is waaaaaay longer than you think unfortunately.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall MSD putting out a notice a while ago about Buying from known Performance Vendors and not eBay, cause they cannot guarantee their product, even had pictures of slight differences on the outside, yet inside its not MSD!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 738 Likes on 402 Posts

I ve often wonderd how big of a grey area this is...its wrong, but how could they enforce it. Good bye harbor frieght!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think they should go away completely because people should have the choice and some guys enjoy building using these parts.
The problem is the price point and the dishonesty.
Tax imported goods more and prosecute the sellers intentionally misrepresent their product.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

a couple more thoughts.

-to adequately police counterfeit imports you would have to create whole new section of federal government to try and sift through the mess. think about the cost of that for a second. *shudder* ---no current federal bureau could afford this, especially as we slash funding for all sorts of consumer protection agencies.

-commonly it's the chinese vendor making legit parts for a US firm that makes and sells the knockoffs.

-mainland china has zero interest in policing this (unless you somehow manage to get heard in a provincial court---very likely to be corrupt AF) as they operate on a true Laissez-faire capitalist system. There are no protections for anyone. We taught them that and they are good students.

Here's a decent article detailing this ^

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...c09-story.html

-realize that not only are we china's biggest customer counting for ~18% of their export they are our 3rd biggest customer and count for ~8%. at first glance it might seem like they are getting the best of us. But dig a little deeper and see their economy is just not as robust or complex as ours. If one of their top trading partners stumbles it shakes them hard. If one of ours stumbles, we can recover inside a decade.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade...ppartners.html
http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/chn/
my personal feelings about a truly fair global economy aside, ultimately I don't think there's a damn thing we can do about this. It would take a lot more political will to make anything happen.

I still submit the best course of action is to continue a tradition rich in engineering and innovation. We can't fall behind in the STEM areas of education.

also I'd like to add that we are currently being outpaced in renewable energy development. That cannot be allowed to happen. The future is gonna be about clean energy and clean water and we're getting hosed in both.

lastly, i'd like to point out that our two biggest customers are Canada and Mexico respectively. We should work to strengthen those relationships, instead of straining them. They are a large part of US financial dominion over international trade.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that at least the blatant false branding of items (like the crap wastegates branded as TiAL) is low hanging fruit that could be plucked by the feds. Copycat items with different brands on them is a different thing altogether (Harbor Freight, etc.).

Quick Reply: All You Budget/China Builders (I'm guilty), this may change