Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom Intercoolers build to order

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Intercoolers build to order

You guys know me for my intake manifolds well I'm going to also offer my line of custom intercoolers build to order.

For intake manifolds, specifically intercooled intake manifolds I use Bell Intercoolers ONLY as they have the selection I need to build just about anything.

For air to air intake manifolds though there are other companies that are virtually just as effective at much lower pricing so I am not going to force someone to use a core costing 3x as much....

Here is a batch run of intercoolers I had done for local turbo shop named Boostworks.

I welded up the end tanks (his design was a single open bottom tank to save on money rather than a nicer split tank assembly, still is just as functional just not quite as pretty) and then he fit the prototype brackets into place.

I then fixtured these brackets and now 100% produce the intercooler at my shop.

You can see the prototype bracket then the final products 4x welded out in his office floor, he has another 5 for me to do next week.

this intercooler uses a core sized 22" Wide x 14" High x 4.5" Thick

I can do anything you need though or just work out a simple universal solution, custom is my specialty though

If your interested just get with em with a pen and paper quick sketch of what you want with dimensions and I will cad it and get you a quote.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Of more importance here than shiny parts ( even if we do all like shiny parts )...is the quality of the core being used .

What core design, or brand are they ?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Would recommend the Garrett Core... they have a 24x12x4.5 that fits the F-Body perfectly...

If you do the Bell core, it has to be about 20-25% larger to achieve the same thermal capabilities. In this case, Bell has a 24x12x6. However, the price of the Bell core in that size is almost $200 more than the Garrett... and all you're doing is adding weight and pissing away money.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Of more importance here than shiny parts ( even if we do all like shiny parts )...is the quality of the core being used .

What core design, or brand are they ?

those are bell cores.

you can tell because of they way they are.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

actually the cores in picture here are Vibrant supplied by customer.

I can get garrett, bell or vibrant.

The key word is custom, it is built using core to your spec, to your size and needs.

I am not going out and fitting a single intercooler on a single car. I'm a manufacturing facility, if you would like custom parts built to your spec lmk, if you want me to come do all the work for you go somewhere else.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure where that comment about you wrenching on cars came from? Oh well.

What Garrett cores do you have access to? Only the limited number of sizes listed on Garrett's site, or are there more sizes available to you than listed? I'm looking for 26-28" wide by ~10" high, up to 4.5" thick, vertical flow, preferably not multiple smaller cores joined together.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...t/intercoolers

Do you have a personal opinion on the efficiency of the Vibrant cores vs Bell or Garrett?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

I always get asked if I can go do the wrenching and i have zero time for that

still setting up my turn14 account but all garrett cores they have.

for air water intercooled intake manifolds garrett has a very limited selection of cores and I can't always make them work so when I can't I turn to bell

Each core has their benefits.

Garrett air passages on their air water cores are far more densely packed, this comes at the potential of greater thermal efficiency as the air has more surface area to dissipate heat but also greater back pressure causing more pressure drop and less cfm when comparing csa to csa. Also with only 3 sizes to choose from it can become harder to design an intake manifold around it. The garrett water passages are basically general radiator squashed tubes with virtually zero internal fins. This means less transfer of heat into the water....

Bell cores the air passages are slightly less dense which in turn gives better cfm when comparing csa of garret to csa of bell. Also bell has many MANY more sizing options so for packaging under a hood I can actually find something that will get the job done. Their water passages are far more superior to garretts as they are a actual bar and plate design with tons of internal fins so the water more effectively transfers heat.

Vibrant air to air cores are basically a carbon copy of the bell. Vibrant has a limited selection of cores though so I can't always get something to work in sizing given to me. I have no experience with vibrant air water cores.

For a air to air setup up to 1000-1200 whp if a vibrant core can fit the application I believe it to be best bang for the buck.

In a max effort remote mount air water setup I believe garrett to be superior however with the constriction of the water tubes better have a good pump as a rule style bilge pump will be unhappy creating pressures.

If a garrett core can work for a intercooled intake I would say it should be a good go to also however the water pump rule applies here. Also with very limited sizing selections for air water garrett cores we will have limited manifold designs.

For a realisticly priced air water intercooled intake that can use a rule 2000 bilge pump and keep air temps in check while giving maximum building capaicty I believe bell to be the better deal.

They all have the pros and cons. Bell and Garrett are more than double the cost of a vibrant when it comes to air to air based on size. Garrett is limited on vertical or cores that can be used as vertical cores. Bell has more flexibility here...
Old 11-23-2017, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

My conversation between Steven Rankin (owner of 42 Autosports and tuner of Roho car) and Roho

Car's prior best was 9.2 at 155, I'll get exact prior best time slip and post it in a bit

Here is happy customer with air water intake manifold with a bell core sized to roughly 2000hp
Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow.. thanks so much g1pro that is exactly all the info/opinions I was hoping to get!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Have you done any 6in vibrant or bell intercooler cores for fbodies
Old 04-21-2018, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Dirtys Question X 2 except:

I'd be happy with the Garrett 12 x 24 x 4.5 or 27.8 x 12.7 x 5.1 for a F-Body.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Dirtys Question X 2 except:

I'd be happy with the Garrett 12 x 24 x 4.5 or 27.8 x 12.7 x 5.1 for a F-Body.
How much hp can the Garrett 27.8x12.7x5.1 support
Old 04-21-2018, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Dirty,

1300 and garrett is more conservative than most others, so I read on the internet anyway!

G1Pro answered a message from me while ago. He probably doesn't get on here a lot. He said to sketch it up and he would quote/build it. He only has C7 and Gen6 Camaros in his world right now.

I may work on that tomorrow and he is only an hour away from me so I might take my new Huron standard one over there along with a sketch.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:23 AM
Teching In

I'm gonna have to keep this info for when it's time to get an intercooler for my twin turbo S10 that I'm building right now.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

He's not a vendor anymore on here.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
He's not a vendor anymore on here.
Well, damn... thanks for the heads-up!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcefeedws6
Well, damn... thanks for the heads-up!!!
No love loss, he was a jerk on here when people were asking for back to back data to prove claims about his intake manifolds.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

He's still listed over on the Vette forum.

And whilst I was one pushing for data....damn he really does make some nice stuff.

Maybe someday I'll get one of his anyway. He does seem very willing to accommodate different designs to suit people, and fairly reasonable prices. And the workmanship looks superb.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
He's still listed over on the Vette forum.

And whilst I was one pushing for data....damn he really does make some nice stuff.

Maybe someday I'll get one of his anyway. He does seem very willing to accommodate different designs to suit people, and fairly reasonable prices. And the workmanship looks superb.
If memory serves from the thread in here I was right there with you. I don't see the harm in asking for a simple A/B test as opposed to general claims and "we have it on this car and it runs good" comments. They do looks nice, no argument there, but form should follow function.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Why was he a jerk because he would waste his valuable time to do back to back dyno pull to prove his intake was making better power then stock intake , to prove what to sell one intake
Let see dyno for a day minimum 800 to 1200 day to tie up someone’s dyno, machcanic to remove and replace intakes and what ever else it would involve unfor seen issue , not quite
So easy and vary expensive .

Quick Reply: Custom Intercoolers build to order