Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil coming out turbo under boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out turbo under boost

My car just started pushing out of the turbo and out the exhaust under boost. I'm thinking it's a problem with the drain. It's a 6.0 and I got it draining into the front of the pan. Anyone have any other suggestions on what's causing this?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What size feed and return? Does the drain line go down the whole way or does it swing up or level off anywhere.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lmt0705
What size feed and return? Does the drain line go down the whole way or does it swing up or level off anywhere.
the feed is 4an and the return is 5/8ths. And it levels off before it goes into the pan
Old 11-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Oil you see as a liquid, pushing around a seal for some reason.

So, any of these are possible with turbos, and the percentage is chance IMO
1. bad seal/clearance around seal (49% very probable)
2. too much oil pressure (bad feed/drain) overwhelms the seal (51% more probable)
3. a crack/hole somewhere letting oil through (0.1% very unlikely)

The seal is sometimes damaged by compressor surge. If you were running high boost pressures (15+psi) without a bypass, when you lift the throttle the air rushing backwards through the compressor slams the wheel/shaft around and ***** everything up inside the turbo a little bit each time. Blades get bent/worn/brittle and the shaft/bearing/seals get damaged. Many turbo manufacturers are now including bypass on their compressor housings, and anti-surge housings, in an effort to control the devastation caused by ignorance I suppose.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Yeah I'm gonna check the feed and drain. I've only
got the car to 7lbs so far. i bought this turbo when on3 first started making turbos and it sat for like 4 years. I didn't know if it was junk from the start. It worked good for a while now just started happening
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Another thing to check are your breathers on your valve covers make sure they are clean and can breath. If filters are dirty blowby has no where to go and will put backpressure on your turbo drain. You did say it only happens under boost and did not use to do it. Filters were clean when you started and over time have become a restriction possibly.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

That is true and by the same line of thought you must also consider gravity, since it acts on the liquid no matter what shape the line.

gravity applies a force everyone is familiar with while the blow-by example given above is a much less recognized point of view and even more important in my opinion, since PCV is basically the first rule of high mileage engines / street cars.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by H.P.Ranch1
Another thing to check are your breathers on your valve covers make sure they are clean and can breath. If filters are dirty blowby has no where to go and will put backpressure on your turbo drain. You did say it only happens under boost and did not use to do it. Filters were clean when you started and over time have become a restriction possibly.
My on3 did this when i put my PCV check valves in backwards. It air locked the drain and pushed oil out the exhaust. Luckily i found it before i ever drove the turd and swapped the valves around and it quit. Crankcase ventilation is where id start, once remedied (the issue whatever it is) the turbo may stop puking. Or it may be too late for the seals. Or they may have been bad from the start.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Yeah I all the pcv stuff is stock. I didn't mess with or change anything with it
Old 11-13-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikefliszar
Yeah I all the pcv stuff is stock. I didn't mess with or change anything with it
Thats probably your issue. Just vent both ports through a filter for now then look into a catch can setup. Its been beat to death over the years and easy to find with a search
Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Okay thanks everyone. I'll be messing with it in the next couple days and see what happens
Old 11-19-2017, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

More to the point....how long did it run without this problem ?

And I assume you've felt the turbo to see if it isnt fucked ?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

I've seen OEM turbos blow oil after 125,000 until 200k+ still going all chipped up and abused, whining, still making the car move. Sure its down 25% in power at that point but I am always amazed how long a turbo can live in some applications when the major parts materials and oiling system is correct.

The Borg warner manufacturer pretends to be OEM so we can treat it like OEM sometimes.
However the cheap style "no name" or "Ebay" units you would automatically expect to be very sensitive to small perturbations in operating conditions, because of reduced materials or clearances quality. If it was welded it might crack, If it was electronic it would have poor board components etc..
Old 11-19-2017, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

First turbo in my little van lasted to near 500k. Started a light whistle for a few days....then the impeller bust in half lol.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Had a friend that had that same problem back in the day. It was the seals! When you fix that problem fix the other issues that lead to this problems. Vent the valve covers to a catch can, and make sure you have a good BOV. and delete the PCV stuff.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

A Mighty Mouse can, and be done.

Quick Reply: Oil coming out turbo under boost