Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock LS1 turbo questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock LS1 turbo questions?

Hey Guys I just got done doing a complete rebuild of my 2000 camaro motor with a t56 transmission.. Im going to buy a single turbo kit or fab one up myself.. undecided on which way tho.. anyways here are some basic questions id like to know before I get too hot and heavy into it.

1. How much power will the stock bottom end of a 2000 ls1 camaro motor hold before I should start to worry about it shelling out? 450whp? 500, 550whp etc..?

2. What size single turbos are normally used for a stock ls1 looking to make around 500whp? 60-1??

3. what hot side of the turbos should I be looking for t3, t4 . 84, .69, .96 etc.. I am just not sure which is best for the stock motors based on the stock camshaft etc.. I want boost to start in around 2500 rpm and hold till 6000rpm redline..

4. is there any benefit to running a ball bearing turbo over a jorunal bearing.?

thanks in advance guys
Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Do some searches brotha!!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:27 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Go to forced inductions .com --------> and look at their turbo info.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5.7LRX7
Hey Guys I just got done doing a complete rebuild of my 2000 camaro motor with a t56 transmission.. Im going to buy a single turbo kit or fab one up myself.. undecided on which way tho.. anyways here are some basic questions id like to know before I get too hot and heavy into it.
1. How much power will the stock bottom end of a 2000 ls1 camaro motor hold before I should start to worry about it shelling out? 450whp? 500, 550whp etc..?
2. What size single turbos are normally used for a stock ls1 looking to make around 500whp? 60-1??
3. what hot side of the turbos should I be looking for t3, t4 . 84, .69, .96 etc.. I am just not sure which is best for the stock motors based on the stock camshaft etc.. I want boost to start in around 2500 rpm and hold till 6000rpm redline..
4. is there any benefit to running a ball bearing turbo over a jorunal bearing.?
thanks in advance guys
Price will vary on how crazy you go with things but it will be anywhere from a lowwww budget "$3000 setup" to as high up as your imagination can go It wont really matter much whether you build it yourself or not, FI is expensive when everything is all said and done.

**Next up is how much power these engines handle on boost, LS1/LS2/LS6's will all generally handle 550rwhp (8-10psi) with a very good tune and a nice fuel system for a good while. Like everything, some blow up in a week, and some seem to last forever its just up to you whether you want to risk it and it will depend on how you drive the car as well. If you floor it at every stop light chances are you will blow it up sooner rather than later due to the abuse.

**Next up is the turbo. A turbo for that power with enough room to grow and still spool fast for the LS1 will be a 67mm-78mm (compressor wheel size choice wont matter toooo much for 550hp) T4 turbo with a .96 a/r exhaust housing. Generally speaking the turbos i am talking about and the ones i always use will all be the same physical size from 67mm all the way to the popular TC76 and TC78 turbonetics turbos. That is the general rule of thumb everybody uses for decent power. BIG power (as in over 750rwhp) will require a BIGGER turbo but a T4 in the 67mm-78mm compressor range with the exhaust housing specs that i mentioned above will make anywhere from 450rwhp-750rwhp depending obviously on boost and will definitely depend on your engine being "built", how good a fuel system you have, and what kind of tuner works on your car. These size turbos are always capable and willing to make whatever power most people want for the street and will all pretty much spool the same(2500-3000rpm), people are mostly just limited to stock crappy pistons, small injectors and/or fuel pumps that cant keep up with the requirements for "x" amount of boost etc etc etc.

**Lastly, dont waste your money on ball bearing turbo(s). If they go bad for whatever reason in the future it will be costly to repair and the benefit or whatever gain you get in spool time will be not worth the hassle or the money you paid for the BB turbo in the first place. LSX engines do a VERY good job at spooling practically ANY T4 turbo big or small, so if i were you i wouldnt worry about it or throw money down the drain, use the price difference with the ball bearing and journal bearing turbo to buy you a bigger set of injectors and/or couple of 255lph walbro fuel pumps-fuel pressure/volume will be one of the most important factors in making any kind of power period, not something thats ball bearing.

Hope i could help, i pretty much covered everything you could/should have found with the search button in the forced induction section, this type of stuff is very common on here. Everything i listed above is the norm for "mild" LS1 turbo setups so just remember to have fun with it and post up pics when you're done with the build
Old 03-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you.. So me asking for 500-550whp isnt out of the question on a stock bottom end ls1.. thats nice to know.. And I wont be flooring it at every light, however i will get on it, otherwise i wouldnt be doing it

I am planning on getting some 42 pound injectors regardless so my fuel should be ok for 8-10psi boost. and I already have a 255 walbro installed.

I am thinking about a 60-1 or a 62-1 single turbo with a .96 ar ratio, and skipping the ball bearing as you said.

the intercooler setup is a concern of mine but its not really that horriable just plumbing I will figure it out im sure.

do you think a 38mm wastegate is sufficient for this power goals and this car? or do I need larger given my power goals?

and as for a tune.. I will have it professionally tuned as safe as possible even if i have to give up a psi or two to do it.. no sense pushing it to the limits if it wont last long I will ask the tuner to be fairly safe with it.. I want to keep 93 octane cappable..
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

This is my advice, DONT BUY A KIT FROM HP PERFORMANCE lol. sorry i'm really frustrated with them right now.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can easily throw a bigger turbo on there, you will be fine. Those 60-1's etc are TINY for any LSx engine and will probably hurt performance since they will be choking at mid-high rpm's. Oh and for the comment above i think this guy is putting the LS1 motor into an RX7 so i think the HP Performance FBODY kit is out of the question anyways lol

5.7rx7 - You're on the right track so far....good luck man
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

What happened to the motor/trans you were supposed to pick up from me? that was a real ******* move to leave me sitting in NE until 8pm and you wouldn't call, text, or pm me back. thanks alot RJ. a simple phone call or i dont need this setup now would have been pretty nice after i held that setup for you for 3 weeks, then find out on here you either rebuilt a motor you had, or bought one from someone else.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WSsixed
This is my advice, DONT BUY A KIT FROM HP PERFORMANCE lol. sorry i'm really frustrated with them right now.
wow, way to get the point across there killer...lol just messin with ya...ive got the sts kit and i am running a BONE stock LS1 and i put down 450whp and 446 wtq at only 7.3 psi (8# spring in the wastegate...was losing boost at high rpm). so the numbers your wanting to see are deffinately obtainable...
Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F-BodyGuy98
wow, way to get the point across there killer...lol just messin with ya...ive got the sts kit and i am running a BONE stock LS1 and i put down 450whp and 446 wtq at only 7.3 psi (8# spring in the wastegate...was losing boost at high rpm). so the numbers your wanting to see are deffinately obtainable...
what size turbo are you running?? thats some good power! anything else done to the motor?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Restricted User

500rwhp would be very possible with 8-10 psi
Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
What happened to the motor/trans you were supposed to pick up from me? that was a real ******* move to leave me sitting in NE until 8pm and you wouldn't call, text, or pm me back. thanks alot RJ. a simple phone call or i dont need this setup now would have been pretty nice after i held that setup for you for 3 weeks, then find out on here you either rebuilt a motor you had, or bought one from someone else.
what were you trying to sell?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I didn't realize how old this post was lol

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 turbo questions?