Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dyno day! 8/31/18 99 ws6 twin vs 3582 billet and 80e/8.8 swap - 11.4@126

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
Coming together nicely! Unfortunately I have to scrap my twin turbo G body project because the motor in my truck is screwed. So I'm putting the 5.3/th400 from my Monte Carlo into my truck and it's going to be a big single turbo street truck with a/c and power windows lol. I'll be following your build because I'm excited to see what those twins are going to do!
ah man that sucks, 5.3’s are $300 here at the local yard, shame you couldn’t nab one and get your truck back up and going. Getting closer to the dyno day!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cwarta

ah man that sucks, 5.3’s are $300 here at the local yard, shame you couldn’t nab one and get your truck back up and going. Getting closer to the dyno day!
I'm sure I could have found one. But at this point I don't want to fund two projects. Always wanted to boost my truck, might as well do it now. I'm ready to see that dyno! You should post a idle clip when you get your injector leak fixed.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is an untuned one in the garage.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds healthy!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

$300? Nice! Where are you located? The local yards here (Upstate NY, near Albany) are all over the place but a median seems to be $500 to $600 . A buddy of mine that has a built (416 cube) heads/cam/headers 2011 SS just bought a 'Smokey and the Bandit' style 1980 T/A and although the body is in great shape, he's really astonished how anemic the (original) engine is in acceleration. I told him to 'LS it!' and he's curious. We've found a transdapt kit with oil pan , cross member, mounts, headers, etc so I've got him near the tipping point. Just have to find a good 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0 dropout to put in his car.

Since Winter is getting closer (dammit) I'll be resuming my twin (ON3 T3 flanged) GT35 install. It was 'almost there' but when the good weather of last April arrived, I couldn't wait to drive my car, and so I put the PT7675 back in my 96 Z28. I had 'some' fun with it but the first time back at the strip, I tore the torque arm mount of my 8.8(It was one of the first offered in Houston back in 2003 and had a poor mounting design). The new 8.8 will be shipped either this Friday or the one after, then begins the breakin period (300 miles at moderate use, 15 minutes of driving then full cool down before repeating). At any rate, looking forward to both your car and mine being on the road with twin power by next Spring.

Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
Sounds healthy!
thanks man! Sure do miss the single turbo cam sound though :/

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
$300? Nice! Where are you located? The local yards here (Upstate NY, near Albany) are all over the place but a median seems to be $500 to $600 . A buddy of mine that has a built (416 cube) heads/cam/headers 2011 SS just bought a 'Smokey and the Bandit' style 1980 T/A and although the body is in great shape, he's really astonished how anemic the (original) engine is in acceleration. I told him to 'LS it!' and he's curious. We've found a transdapt kit with oil pan , cross member, mounts, headers, etc so I've got him near the tipping point. Just have to find a good 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0 dropout to put in his car.

Since Winter is getting closer (dammit) I'll be resuming my twin (ON3 T3 flanged) GT35 install. It was 'almost there' but when the good weather of last April arrived, I couldn't wait to drive my car, and so I put the PT7675 back in my 96 Z28. I had 'some' fun with it but the first time back at the strip, I tore the torque arm mount of my 8.8(It was one of the first offered in Houston back in 2003 and had a poor mounting design). The new 8.8 will be shipped either this Friday or the one after, then begins the breakin period (300 miles at moderate use, 15 minutes of driving then full cool down before repeating). At any rate, looking forward to both your car and mine being on the road with twin power by next Spring.

Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress.
I live in central Nebraska, the price is actually $275 with a $50
core charge. Buddy just picked up a trailblazer 5.3 with the aluminum 5.3 and 799/tbss Intake there the other day, bastard.

He will love it, I’ve done about 15 swaps including to second gens so if I can be of service please let me know!! I can’t wAit to let these puppies rip!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I couldn’t be happier with my budget fuel system. Here is what I did, hopefully it helps someone down the road.

99trans am.

Twin walbro 450’s, second pump on a Hobbs

8an feed, stock gm feed as the return.

Big 10an Holley boost reference reg (overkill)

So I gutted the factory regulator in the tank, added the two pumps on one of my coke fittings y’ng them together to the bottom of the stock hat, then on the top of the hat I ran the stock 3/8 line forward to where the old fuel filter was, so just in front of the back tire driver side. There I unhooked it, and installed my new spin on fuel filter that is cheap, filters 10mic iirc and works good for many people on e85. I hooked to the filter housing, then ran 8an out of the housing forward to the back of the rail, ran through the rails and then to my Holley reg, still 8an, from the regs return to the factory feed line that I bent around where I wanted it, I ran 8an to it and used the quick adapter fuel line fitting (8an x 3/8 quick connect) and then it runs all

The way to the back of the car to where the old t was beside the fuel filter, where I removed the t and ran 6an from there to the factory return inlet on the filter hat.

At idle, my base is 40#. Kick the second pump on it bumps to 43#, likely will not raise at all under WOT when the second pump

Comes on and he whine is consuming so much more fuel.

Converter and seats left 😍

Old 08-15-2018, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Funny that you used the coke machine y fitting, I did the same thing a couple years ago with my dual 450s. I bought a bunch of them for cheap and they are really nice stainless tig welded fittings.
Dyno day! 8/31/18 99 ws6 twin vs 3582 billet and 80e/8.8 swap  - 11.4@126-photo481.jpg
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Funny that you used the coke machine y fitting, I did the same thing a couple years ago with my dual 450s. I bought a bunch of them for cheap and they are really nice stainless tig welded fittings.
Attachment 706675
yup exactly what I used, same picture snd all haha. Very nice high quality fittings!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Converter is in, and got my t brake/2 step and pulse/scramble buttons wired up today! So close!!!!!! Have to pick up some trans fluid so I can go drive it :/ still have seats left to install and some wiring
Old 08-18-2018, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Reached 4400 in 2-3 seconds and 14# without the 2 step set and gate pressure at 10#, dropped the gate pressure ton5# and 2 step at 4000 and got 10#, this thing is going to be nasty

Old 08-18-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here a better sound quality idle clip, forgot to click hd when uploading though
Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, I’ve read a bunch about it and see people making 7-800 on stock rails so I didn’t think much about it, has worked great so far at 600ish hp.

Since I am putting in my 210# injectors and a second walbro 450 /switching to e85 I’m changing the the fuel system to the “correct” way with an 8an feed line. Don’t want to be fuel limited when I go the the dyno.
love the build! im finishing up my home done twins set up, use to have a single and decided to go to twins, using on3s GT30s though so this build got me interested (i road race with mine so i need the quick spool up as my single was a little sketchy coming around corners and predictablity) any just wanted to give u a little already hard learned experience when i saw what i quoted haha. i had stock rails and 60# injectors and an Aeromotive 340 pump, i had mine set at 16psi on my single 76/65 and had exhaust fully out back and everything, car ran great, good A/F numbers, pulled its *** off. Anyway, i added a 3.5in bumper dump on an electric cutout, i went to make a pull with cutout open and got to top of 1st and nuked the engine, had number 3 and 4 piston and rods all over the road and had a hole in the block on each side and one through the pan, since then i now have twin 340 pumps and aftermarket rails and had zero issues. so just keep a close eye on FP and A/F if your gunna stick with stock rails. it didnt take long at all and no way i could of caught it before it went.

Anyways, awesome build and im excited to see how yours turns out!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
love the build! im finishing up my home done twins set up, use to have a single and decided to go to twins, using on3s GT30s though so this build got me interested (i road race with mine so i need the quick spool up as my single was a little sketchy coming around corners and predictablity) any just wanted to give u a little already hard learned experience when i saw what i quoted haha. i had stock rails and 60# injectors and an Aeromotive 340 pump, i had mine set at 16psi on my single 76/65 and had exhaust fully out back and everything, car ran great, good A/F numbers, pulled its *** off. Anyway, i added a 3.5in bumper dump on an electric cutout, i went to make a pull with cutout open and got to top of 1st and nuked the engine, had number 3 and 4 piston and rods all over the road and had a hole in the block on each side and one through the pan, since then i now have twin 340 pumps and aftermarket rails and had zero issues. so just keep a close eye on FP and A/F if your gunna stick with stock rails. it didnt take long at all and no way i could of caught it before it went.

Anyways, awesome build and im excited to see how yours turns out!
that sounds like a lot of fun man! Post up some videos when your done, would love to see them! Everyone told me I was making a mistake with these turbos and they weren’t big enough, but so far I am damn happy. I have since went to a 8an feed, twin 450’s and 210’s with a 10an Holley BR reg up front and 10an orb billet rails, routed with the reg in the return line like its supposed to be. Basebpressure set at 40#, kick the second pump on I get 43# and I’m using the factory feed as the return, so that makes me happy. Can’t wat to play. Less than 2 weeks away now!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Nice! yeah im hoping i finish it up in next month or so. Glad to hear those turbos are doing well for you! i wanted to go with GT35s but i ended up getting a GT30 for free so i figured since there physically the same for building a kit i can just use it buy one more to match and go for it and see how they do. heres an older pic of when i first got going on it, need to take some more up to date ones lol

Old 08-20-2018, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks great man! I hope it does what you want it too! I didn’t realize I hadn’t posted these videos here.

Here us is a small pull on 5# with my mother in law in the car, she likes cars and is a good sport so I played a little prank on here by unboltinf the seat.

here is an idle clip of it, much happier now with the sound!! Sounds wicked in person!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Hell yeah! i like how the transition to boost is fairly smooth, my single was like an on off switch from 200hp to 700-800hp haha, and yeah online videos are hard to get a good sound from but it did sound good! nice job!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
Hell yeah! i like how the transition to boost is fairly smooth, my single was like an on off switch from 200hp to 700-800hp haha, and yeah online videos are hard to get a good sound from but it did sound good! nice job!
thanks man! It was smooth because I rolled into it, she’s pretty violent lol.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

im guna try to get a vid up of one of my races so you can see how a single spins up and why im going twins haha
Old 08-22-2018, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

after i get out of camera view i re-appear at the 2min mark

Quick Reply: Dyno day! 8/31/18 99 ws6 twin vs 3582 billet and 80e/8.8 swap - 11.4@126