Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Catch Can gases coming into the car. Any Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can gases coming into the car. Any Fix?

How can I keep the crankcase gases from coming into the car from the catch can? Its ran on the passenger side up close to the bumper.
Instead of running a breather on top can I route it anywhere else in the car?
With E85 it really pushes it out.

LS3 F1A Procharger with red race BOV
Old 12-22-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Run the hoses from the valve covers straight to the exhaust. Weld a bung into the exhaust.... and done. Ditch the catch can.... don't need it.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Game ova
Run the hoses from the valve covers straight to the exhaust. Weld a bung into the exhaust.... and done. Ditch the catch can.... don't need it.
Great idea thank you! This Catch can does nothing but spit crap into my engine bay. This E85 seems to cause it to work ten fold compared to 93.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Thinking about keeping the catch can and routing a tube from its breather port to an exhaust bung. Should still catch the oil instead of spitting it out the exhaust in theory correct?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by se7en82
Thinking about keeping the catch can and routing a tube from its breather port to an exhaust bung. Should still catch the oil instead of spitting it out the exhaust in theory correct?
Yes... it will.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I assume the bung is welded in aft of the cats or if no cats then aft of the rear most 02 sensors?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I assume the bung is welded in aft of the cats or if no cats then aft of the rear most 02 sensors?
Correct, although not nearly as helpful as other setups. In a race only NA car, you put them right behind the header collectors, and actually get a scavenging effect from the exhaust to pull fumes from the crankcase. In FI, it is almost unheard of to get a positive (negative pressure) effect.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Yes... it will.
yes it should

Whether it will or not depends on the can and the efficiency/effectiveness of its design and installation.

Of course routing the discharge of an efficient catch can either into the exhaust or back towards the inlet of the supercharger would prevent any entering the cockpit. The latter slightly less effective as some could get re-circulated via the BOV, although if it's a functional PCV setup that should draw any fumes into the intake manifold at low loads instead.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just use a good catch can that doesn't just vent everything to atmosphere.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
Or just use a good catch can that doesn't just vent everything to atmosphere.
Sealed system makes more sense in how the system works. I was told an atmospheric helps with crankcase pressure while running boost. Not sure how accurate that statement is.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sealed system makes more sense in how the system works. I was told an atmospheric helps with crankcase pressure while running boost. Not sure how accurate that statement is.
Look into Mighty Mouse. I had the same issues previously but his cans create a sealed system but will still vent to atmosphere at higher boost levels only.
Contact David there with any questions. It will solve your problem and you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

My head hurts like I've been sucking in fumes after reading about catch cans and pcv systems for days!!

Everyone seems to have a magic fix, but the problem is so many different setups and each claiming the same thing. I just want a catch can that catches contaminates and will separate water (running E85) from my system, but also allow pressure to bleed off with 17+ psi. Also one that will not let fumes come into the cabin or around the vehicle. Hopefully Mighty Mouse to the rescue! I have messaged him on here.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

My head hurts like I've been sucking in fumes after reading about catch cans and pcv systems for days!!

Everyone seems to have a magic fix, but the problem is so many different setups and each claiming the same thing. I just want a catch can that catches contaminates and will separate water (running E85) from my system, but also allow pressure to bleed off with 17+ psi. Also one that will not let fumes come into the cabin or around the vehicle. Hopefully Mighty Mouse to the rescue! I have messaged him on here.
Wasting a lot of money with the mightymouse stuff, and really any catch can. I've had my car up to 22psi with no catch can....and not a single issue, also on E85. If it were me, and I was worried about the fumes....id just tie into the exhaust and be done with it. I'm sure others will disagree, but a catch can is completely unnecessary at our level. If you're blowing that much oil out of the breather, you've got other things to worry about besides an expensive catch can.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Wasting a lot of money with the mightymouse stuff, and really any catch can. I've had my car up to 22psi with no catch can....and not a single issue, also on E85. If it were me, and I was worried about the fumes....id just tie into the exhaust and be done with it. I'm sure others will disagree, but a catch can is completely unnecessary at our level. If you're blowing that much oil out of the breather, you've got other things to worry about besides an expensive catch can.
Sounds great, but how are you relieving crankcase pressure?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds great, but how are you relieving crankcase pressure?
Open air.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

^^^ I ran this exact setup. The problem is the fumes from the E85 coming into the cabin being so close to the cabin filter. Also had a buddy who also was running the same setup and his car burnt due to oil getting down on the headers from the breather.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Maybe a cap going to external breather via hose would work nicely. I always liked this way of doing it and never had an issue until I ran E85.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^ I ran this exact setup. The problem is the fumes from the E85 coming into the cabin being so close to the cabin filter. Also had a buddy who also was running the same setup and his car burnt due to oil getting down on the headers from the breather.
I feel you. I do get a whiff of fumes, but I just deal with it.... it's not really that bad after it warms up. But yes, the cap and hose may help you out with the fumes.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, you are going to want to keep an eye on that breather. It will eventually get oil soaked for sure!

Usually zip tie a sock or rag around the filter element to keep it from dripping.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It's already been explained in simple terms.

Either return the vent to the engine to get drawn back into the intake, or route them to the exhaust. Or some other location towards the rear so you wont smell them.

Quick Reply: Catch Can gases coming into the car. Any Fix?