Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Using msd 2 step for a fail safe in a lean condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Using msd 2 step for a fail safe in a lean condition

Hello all, I'm looking at buying the Aem fail safe gauge, and when it sees a lean condition it ha a wire that grounds and you can use it to trigger whatever you want. Initially I was going to try and use it to ground the iat and change the timing at the extreme that that triggers to cut timing in half or something. But I was informed that the iat stuff is slow reacting and likely wouldn't do what I want. So, next theory. My 2 step is able to be activated by 12v positive or 12v negative. I'm using 12v positive combined with a a trans brake to activate it now. But, I could use the ground wit hooked to the aem and trigger the 2 step in a lean condition. Would this be safe on the engine? The next step is putting another selonoid inline with the compressed air so it drops back to gate pressure. I could do this, BUT using the 2 step would be much much simpler.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

All 3 options could work. I use iat to pull timing for nitrous and haven't had trouble yet except for tuning errors on my part
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwarta
Hello all, I'm looking at buying the Aem fail safe gauge, and when it sees a lean condition it ha a wire that grounds and you can use it to trigger whatever you want. Initially I was going to try and use it to ground the iat and change the timing at the extreme that that triggers to cut timing in half or something. But I was informed that the iat stuff is slow reacting and likely wouldn't do what I want. So, next theory. My 2 step is able to be activated by 12v positive or 12v negative. I'm using 12v positive combined with a a trans brake to activate it now. But, I could use the ground wit hooked to the aem and trigger the 2 step in a lean condition. Would this be safe on the engine? The next step is putting another selonoid inline with the compressed air so it drops back to gate pressure. I could do this, BUT using the 2 step would be much much simpler.
Its the IAT sensor itself that is slow reacting, not the tune based around it.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your not going to want to from full boost to on a 2 step going down the street or track. It would be safer and better to have something dump boost.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

What difference would it be then say being late on a shift and hitting the rev limiter? Factory the pcm pulls fuel, right? The 2 step pulls spark, so if I have a lean condition, pulling spark would surely fix that lean condition instantly and get my attention lol.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Its the IAT sensor itself that is slow reacting, not the tune based around it.
See that's what I thought also, grounding the iat wire should eliminate that delay shouldn't if?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Restricted User

Send the IAT wire through the NC circuit on a 5-pin relay. Give the relay power. Let the ground activate the relay and disconnect the IAT completely. It'll default to the coldest part of the IAT timing table. I've used it for antilag.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I would think dumping the boost would be better then retarding timing due to a lean condition. If you just retard the timing its still lean just woth retarded timing. If you dump boost that will actually effect the lean condition. Plus say you are tuned to 12 degrees at a certian boost and it retards the timing ten degrees it would be like anti lag at full power. Doesnt seem it would be good for things in my opinion. Maybe im wrong but id go boost dump.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Restricted User

Boost responsiveness is very slow, which is why its not used for traction control by aftermarket PCMs. You have to send the signal to the controller, have it open/close a solenoid, change pressure in the wastegate line, open the wastegate diaphragm, and wait for the turbo to slow down.

Timing or AFR adjustments would be the way to go. Making the IAT default to the coldest possible reading will also cause the PCM to add fuel to compensate. 2 birds, one stone.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Valid points, appreciate the input fellas
Old 02-01-2018, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Never thought of that joe. I defer to your judgment here. Go with the iat sensor patch.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

What if you put a normally closed relay inline with the ignition relay and trigger it to cut all power to coils?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

then you turned your car off?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Ya but your motor isn't scattered down the road.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

im just kiddin

so on this topic, my boost controller has an overboost shutdown feature where if it senses manifold pressure over a set value it uses boost to pin the gate wide open...but that's not gonna help if the gate itself is having a mechanical failure.

i do just like joe says. works good to pull timing for a variety of things, running outta meth spray, if the tires are spinning. all sorts of stuff.

IME you have to pull like 25 degrees out to get an "anti-lag" effect.
just dropping 6 or ten degrees will nose the car over. in fact that's how I rev limit on the stock computer. max the fuel cut RPM and yank timing out after 7500 rpm
Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
What if you put a normally closed relay inline with the ignition relay and trigger it to cut all power to coils?
I went through an easy way to make an arduino failsafe here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...ed-engine.html

You can designate a bunch of parameters and have it cut power to the coils or ignition, etc. Works well. I still use it for oil pressure in all of my cars.

Quick Reply: Using msd 2 step for a fail safe in a lean condition