Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WS6 w/ Powerdyne supercharger (new updates, blower mounted)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default WS6 w/ Powerdyne supercharger (new updates, blower mounted)

I picked this car up about a year ago. A true WS6 with an auto for 3500 bucks, running and driving. Not bad for around the NYC area. It had a multitude of issues but nothing horrible. I fixed every issue I could and took it to virtually every car show I could this past car season and it's been great, even with its mileage at 142K. This winter I decided it was getting some form of FI i just hadn't decided on what. After settling on supercharging I began looking for a Vortech setup since I had one on my Mustang and came up with absolutely nothing. So, I was just browsing the internet and found superchargerrebuild.com. They had Powerdyne brackets and I though eh, what the hell. I am good with fabrication and problem solving so i decided to go this route, against the opinions of the entire internet. I decided I could address the kits deficiencies to make it more reliable. Goal is around 400-430rwhp. I know that easily accomplished via heads/cam but I am bored and I wanted to build something different.

So fast forward to today. I have pretty much everything I need. I scoured the internet documenting the various problems and complainants with the kit as well as discovering my own. What I came up with was:

1. Cooling issues via Powerdyne’s fan setup

2. No info on pulley sizes that came with the kit (though recently I dug up an aussie thread stating the blower had a 3.47 inch pulley)

3. Classic blower issues (broken belts, bearings, over spinning)

4. Instructions are vague regarding kit parts, sizes etc.

5. Pulley is smooth and not ribbed due to replacing the idler pulley in the serpentine setup

My first issue was finding a blower which I wound up sourcing locally from a lawyer in Manhattan, a fresh built 928 blower with case venting, better bearings and the better belt. The blower is from a Mustang kit, so the volute is the 90 degree and not straight, but because I will be using my own plumbing, I think I can worth with it.

Next was finding a blower pulley that would work with this kit. The LS1 using that stock dampener @ 7.48 inches made it difficult because I needed a large pulley to keep from over spinning this thing. I wanted it around 38k, despite the better bearings. My original plan was a 2.9 pulley + an underdrive crank. Problem here was it would magnify the already crappy cooling fan issues with this kit along with charging issues with a cooling fan that draws a lot. So, I bought a 3.55 pulley and shaved the ribs off it which got me to a best of 3.26..ish inches. It still "over spins" to 42k but close enough. In the aussie thread I mentioned above, with a 3.47 he saw 5.5 psi of boost. I would hope to see 6 or 6.5 but I have a feeling I will fight a never ending battle with belt slip so we will see. More than likely I will switch to a 10% underdrive pulley by Powerbond in order to bring the RPM down a little and allow me to key the crank with ATIs kit. In addition, the instructions state to replace the stock tensioner with the one supplied in the kit. I opted for replacing it with the tried and true Buick pulley (larger and higher sidewalls for those who are not familiar).

For cooling I decided to go with the ATI shroud and a SPAL fan right off the bat. No cutting corners here. I got the 24XX cfm 16 SPAL fan in hopes that this will keep the temps at bay. I also will be using their relay kit for the fan. I anticipate with AC I will see issues, but I'll come back to that later when the car is moving.

The kit uses a draw thru MAF which I hate for plumbing purposes. Too much clutter. I am doing a blow thru setup and would like to mount a filter on the blower, but I am rethinking this now. Eventually I’d like to do meth and speed density so eventually this part will change but for simplicity, I’ll go this route via MAF.

Awhile back I robbed a junk Ford truck at work with a 7.3L diesel. I took the turbo and its 3-inch aluminum piping, including its couplers and T bolt clamps. Saved me a few bucks there. With its high mileage I decided it would be a good idea to replace valve springs so Ill drop some LS6 springs in there eventually. I have a set of rebuilt 706 heads sitting here which I kind of like the idea of (high compression, low boost). Maybe later. As an additional precaution or enhancement rather, and because the bolts need to come out anyway, I bought a 145 amp trunk alternator to ensure the fan gets more stable voltage. As of right now its winter and the car is outside so I can't really do much other than collect parts. I will update the thread accordingly. Forgive me in advance, i wrote this while on a train.

Last edited by TPIZ92; 06-20-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Intercooler ?
Old 02-03-2018, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's awesome, it's like a sloppy turbo thread only with a blower. Well done working through issues and being creative.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

No intercooler as of right now. Eventually I will replace the maf with a screened pipe just in case an impeller disintegrates. At that point ill add a meth kit as well since I won't have to worry about a MAF anymore. I really like the idea of a 706 head/cam + blower and meth idea. If it proves reliable, ill give it a shot. Below are some pictures.

After fixing everything and taking it to a bunch of shows:

Last edited by TPIZ92; 02-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Stock tensioner pulley vs Buick Pulley:

Bracket and bolts:

Lathed 3.26 pulley:

Fan setup:

BD11A. As of right now the volute is at a friends shop getting the direction changed to a normal 90 degree exit.

Last edited by TPIZ92; 02-03-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ddnspider
That's awesome, it's like a sloppy turbo thread only with a blower. Well done working through issues and being creative.

Thanks man! I know I'll get some flaming from the powerdyne but I have never seen one (and probably there is a good reason for that ha) but its not my daily or anything so if it breaks, it breaks.

I forgot to mention as well as of right now fuel is handled by FIC 42lb injectors and a racetronix 255. I will add the hotwire kit to the pump as well.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I see the shroud worked out good

Looking good. I am in the middle of stall and cam swap myself as i figured why not
Old 02-03-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by klinznilk
I see the shroud worked out good

Looking good. I am in the middle of stall and cam swap myself as i figured why not
Yup, thanks Mike! I had to drill some new holes for my fan but it worked out just fine. Hopefully it will do the job keeping it cooled down.

I bought these 706 heads awhile back, paid like 100 bucks for them and they are fresh. I figure that plus a good blower cam should be an interesting combo, well see!

What stall did you go with?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

I am going to run a 3200 but seriously debating changing it to a 3600

The cam is the BTR LS3 Supercharged Cam and i was recommended a 3000 which i felt was too low.

As for fans I have not ran the car since I got the 16" and 9" spals mounted in the MM shroud. Its barely 30 degrees still in Iowa lol
Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Hello from NY as well. Westchester. I will never understand long islanders but Im sure the f-body force is strong out there.

Curious to see how this turns out. Its ambitious, and my concern is that power wont be where you want it. Coming from the 5.0 Mustang days, powerdyns were pretty un-impressive. I'm not knocking you, but I'm wondering how a blower that might add 30% to a 225fwhp motor is going to work on a 300+fwhp motor.

Looking forward to results and best of luck!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by klinznilk
I am going to run a 3200 but seriously debating changing it to a 3600

The cam is the BTR LS3 Supercharged Cam and i was recommended a 3000 which i felt was too low.

As for fans I have not ran the car since I got the 16" and 9" spals mounted in the MM shroud. Its barely 30 degrees still in Iowa lol
yea i havent done jack, its 39 here. Heads and cam would be the next order of business after i get this all ironed out, unless the trans takes a crap which is entirely possible. I would go for that brute force? blower cam, its like a .5xx lift with a 115 lsa.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Hello from NY as well. Westchester. I will never understand long islanders but Im sure the f-body force is strong out there.

Curious to see how this turns out. Its ambitious, and my concern is that power wont be where you want it. Coming from the 5.0 Mustang days, powerdyns were pretty un-impressive. I'm not knocking you, but I'm wondering how a blower that might add 30% to a 225fwhp motor is going to work on a 300+fwhp motor.

Looking forward to results and best of luck!
some of the past threads saw around 430rwhp but we will see! Thanks
Old 02-03-2018, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

The brutespeed blower cam and BTR ls3 supercharged cam are very close numbers. I was torn between the two
Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hats off to trying something different.
( originally from Bellmore).
Old 02-04-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
Hats off to trying something different.
( originally from Bellmore).
i am originally from Massapequa Park. Commuting to the city everday is taking its toll. I gotta move closer!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That blower is gear driven correct? I know some were and some not.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
That blower is gear driven correct? I know some were and some not.
The XB are the gear driven units. This is a belt drive unit redone by 928 with the better bearings and more then likely a kevlar belt (though i believe continental makes some better belt for them now thast 928 uses). Mine is rated to 46k rpm wise but i wouldn't dare go near that. Mine should spin around 419XX rpm, slightly above the peak ceiling on a stock blower. I like it because there is no oil to run on these. I may even try their forced air bearing cooler since its the main reason they fail. Anyway the XB is always an option as it will bolt into my bracket without any modifications.

However, if the unit proves reliable, i may go the superchargerrebuild route as they offer S, T and YSI trims for this blower now. As it sits the blower is rated at about 800CFM. They claim 1200-1400cfm from the better trims so we will see.

Last edited by TPIZ92; 02-04-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't understand the smooth pulley. Why can't you keep it ribbed? Are you putting blower in idler pulley location?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by jimmyg
I don't understand the smooth pulley. Why can't you keep it ribbed? Are you putting blower in idler pulley location?
The main drawback to this kit. It places the blower down low in place of the idler by the alternator. There is a solution to it if it becomes a problem though; 928 can "surgrip" the pulley I have. Its a coating they do to it to reduce belt slip. Haven't seen much in regards to customers using it though. I think its fairly new. This is also why i didn't want to use the 2.9 and an underdrive, I need the larger pulley for better belt wrap.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen a few places offer the sure grip option on certain pulleys. I have heard it works well but might reduce belt life.

Quick Reply: WS6 w/ Powerdyne supercharger (new updates, blower mounted)