Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo smoke question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo smoke question

well if its not one thing after another,well anyway i have a disater mile performance kit on my car and the newest problem now is when im taking a corner and start to excelerate again i get a fair amount of smoke out the exhaust,seems only when im off the throttle then start to excelerate again but ive noticed more so on corners,the whole kit has about 1500 miles on it and is not beat on at all,so i dont know what this could be and why it could be,but at this point with all the problems im ready to give up and make my own dam kit,sorry about the venting but im getting agravated,so any help/advise would be great ,thanx guys
Old 07-05-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you upgrade your injectors? With bigger injectors, even if you get the IFR (injector flow rate) table scaled properly, it will idle just fine and part throttle just fine, but usually when you let off of the gas it will go rich for a couple seconds and then the PCM will correct it. This could be the problem. Maybe it is going rich when you let off then when you accel again it blows smoke...just an idea, i could be way off.....
Old 07-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default Check your PCV system mine did that too

I have the QMP kit and I installed it myself. On the dyno or when letting off on the throttle it smoked like crazy. After fixing the PCV it no longer smokes.

I found that my pcv valve was bad. You need to ensure that you have a clean air supply to the valve cover (plug the clean air supply in front of the throttle body used for normal aspirated engines). Run that line (from the passenger valve cover that used to go ahead of the throttle body) to a filter or plug it and use a breather in the oil addition snout (in place of oil cap, is what I believe they do for QMP installed kit).

Then the outlet of the pcv goes into the manifold behind the throttle.

If you leave the stock PCV set up in place it will smoke like crazy. You can get pressurized air through the pcv through the valve covers and back into the manifold, not only that it can increase knock retard! I tried that too.

I also recommend putting a catch can to catch oil to minimize oil injestion into the manifold. Accurate machine makes a great can I'm told.

Angostino racing recommends (and will be doing this on their kit) using a totally separate air pump to maintain crankcase ventillation, and keep oil out of the intake.

my 2 cents worth from my experience (oops thats canadian, so its only 1.5 cents U.S.)
Old 07-05-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

i have done all the pcv stuff and the kit has been on the car for about 6 months now and it has been doing the smoke thing for about three days now so its pretty recent,and ssnake,it is white smoke/oil
Old 07-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil is backing up in the turbo and pushing out the seals... check to see if there is oil in the intake track as well from the turbo's discharge. I have seen this exact same problem before on other cars like yours.
The turbo I had smoked like crazy in turns, when coming to a stop and at the topend of the track after letting off...... since making my own kit and moving the turbo up.... same turbo, no smoke whatsoever. I was almost ready to send this turbo off to get rebuilt too.
Where is your drain? I do recommend putting it where George put MM's... it's where mine is too. This helped with the smoking on the TTi kit but it didn't completely go away til I raised the turbo. Are you running a restrictor?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The smoke has nothing to do with your injectors. As RICE ETR said oil is pooling in turbo and blowing out the seals, your exhaust is hot and vaporizes the oil on the way out and you have a home made Mosquito fogger . The reason it only does it on decel is because when you let off the gas the exhaust causes a vaccum and literaly sucks it through the turbo seals. You are getting too much oil to the turbo and since it has nowhere to go it get scavenged by the exhaust. This problem is very common with your kit and is a result of poor gravity feed. If you let this run unchecked it will damage your seals and eventually your turbo requiring a rebuild at minimum.

At this point you have 2 choices:

1\ Put a restrictor in the feed line to reduce the oil volume to the turbo. This will reduce your oil volume and even your flow. The turbo does not need much oil to operate properly.

2\ If the first doesn't cure the problem your only choice choice is to install a scavenging pump to drain the oil from the turbo and eliminate pooling entirely. This works great but the downside is the pumps doon't last forever and will probably need to be replaced every so often. My Tilton is about $200 a pop.

I no longer have my kit and pump setup, but if you sent a PM to KAOS he might be good enough to sent you a picture of the setup so you can see how I located mine.

Good luck, but nake sure you get this fixed soon.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

i would like to see where MM has his drain and how it is set up .
Old 07-05-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same symptoms here... I was going to post up in a diff. thread but saw the answers to fixes here... Thank you warbird...

Do you guys know of a site/part # where I can pickup a restrictor?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Turbo Addict

KHShapiro... I will e-mail you pics of where it is.... EDIT... what I was looking for was in the post..... i posted the dimensions... Thanks MYTURBOT/A

02Bluefirehawk.... my turbo fitting is machined to accept NOS fittings as a means of a restrictor. I would think there are easier/cheaper methods out there... but if nobody posts up where to get them... I'll get you in contact with who i bought my kit from. He might post up.

and Paul.... you're right on the money!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a thread i made awhile ago about this there are some pics from MMs kit.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/152004-oil-returns-turbo-setups.html
Old 07-06-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

thx guys
Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rob emailed me and also said to try a one-way check valve in line with the PCV.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

well my pcv system is non existent anymore,so thats out,its just weird why it only started doing this recently,i would rather put a restricter in the feed line rather than put a scavenging pump in and spending tons of money replacing them
Old 07-06-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

I havent had any problems since i did the restrictor on my kit.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

myturbo,where can i get this said restrictor
Old 07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I made my own restrictor out of a nitrous pill and the original 4AN fitting in the top of the turbo. I took the fitting out and ground off the nipple on the top all the way down to the threads (about a 1/4in) then the stem of the .050 nitrous pill will slide into the hole in the fitting and the Mushroom shaped head of the nos jet acts like the original flare head on the fitting. screw the line back and your good to go. mine don't leak a drop and you can't even tell it been modified.

I know it sounds kinda ghetto but it works great and to change the size of the restrictor you just change the nos pill size.
I think .040 is all the smaller i'd go.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup that works well and I wouldn't call it ghetto, more like McGuyver

I used a 0.080 myself and with the pump all exhaust fumes dissapeared. The mod is very easy and the parts are fairly inexpensive.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

id give a warning, i tried that and it burnt up the bearings on my turbo. i cant remeber what sized i used. I ended up calling turbonetics and they advised me not to use a restritor and said the oil pressure my engine produced was the right amount for the turbo.
I think the oil return needed to be corrected.
plus mounting the turbo up higher would definatly help.

oh and warbird did you get my PM?

Quick Reply: turbo smoke question