Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

proper shipping methods need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default proper shipping methods need help

Hello,

Some may recall a recent post that I made regarding shipping packaging methods. I am wondering if anyone can help me with some contacts/supporting documentation on what constitutes proper shipping techniques for a long block. I need something on a company letterhead verifying what was supplied to me by a company (that will not be named) did not follow what constitutes as good workmanship in their packaging methods.

I realize that this sounds strange, I have pictures and could write a few brief statements that could easily be copied and pasted into a letterhead. I am trying to get a refund authorized and need another vendor's opinion on how an engine, transmission or gear box should be packaged to avoid damage in shipping.

I can elaborate via PM
Please help,
Thank you,
Tony
Old 05-02-2018, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

It doesn't matter. It's the seller's job to pack the parts and even to pick the shipper. So the seller is responsible for the outcome if the parts arrive damaged. You had zero influence over how the seller did any of that, so there is zero reason for you to be on the hook when that goes wrong.

If parts arrive damaged, you should get your money back and the seller can then work things out with the shipping company. This is their problem, not yours.

Sorry to hear it, though.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very first thing you do when something shows up damaged on freight ,and really anything, is have it noted on the bill of lading. Then contact the carrier and file a claim. At that point it’s between the shipper and carrier as they are the customer. Hell, if it was mine and it rolled in like that I would of been the the phone right then and possibly refused it.

What took place when it showed up damaged?

I understand why the original post was created but did you contact the vendor first before making the original post? Things like this suck bad for sure but I can tell you you wouldn’t believe the stuff we get in that’s damaged and attempted to be made right by the carrier.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Curious if there was visible damage to the "part" (I know what it was) and if you did
contact the vendor, and their response. I understand your point, as you now have kind
of an unknown, condition wise. Prob in hindsight it would have been better to contact
the vendor and work it out before a comment, but I understand your position.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you not working with the vendor or just making post after post on this? Give them a chance to make it right. They do have a good reputation for making things right w people.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Mod delete your other thread ?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Was that shipped to your job? Was that shipped somewhere else that someone else other than you signed for it? If your own signature is on it,you have an uphill battle.Call the shipper,have all your info ready.Document every conversation you have,ever time you call and get everyone's name.They will send an inspector to look at it,but it is going to be a problem if you have taken it off-site already.If you can find the driver that makes regular deliveries there,be friendly and get some info.If you are nasty to people,they won't help.Return calls promptly and follow up on everything.

If you think you are going to fight any of the parties involved,you are not going to make things right.Prepare yourself for a lot of phone calls emails and run around.But be pleasant to everyone.It is the only way people will cooperate and get things done for you,you are at their mercy at this point.The only slightly aggressive thing you can do is pester people with phone calls and ask for updates on the situation,but don't get any nastier than that,it will only work against you.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what all the fuss is about. I see items worth millions on a daily basis packaged way worse than the photos in your other thread. Unless the motor physically sustained damage I'd just take note and move on.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NSFW
It doesn't matter. It's the seller's job to pack the parts and even to pick the shipper. So the seller is responsible for the outcome if the parts arrive damaged. You had zero influence over how the seller did any of that, so there is zero reason for you to be on the hook when that goes wrong.

If parts arrive damaged, you should get your money back and the seller can then work things out with the shipping company. This is their problem, not yours.

Sorry to hear it, though.
With all respect, it does matter when trying to get a refund and proving to a credit company that the item may have been damaged.

"What took place when it showed up damaged?"
Denied the shipment, took pics contacted seller.

"I understand why the original post was created but did you contact the vendor first before making the original post? Things like this suck bad for sure but I can tell you you wouldn’t believe the stuff we get in that’s damaged and attempted to be made right by the carrier"
Yes, and I am not satisfied with options I was given. Been trying to work with the vendor.

" Are you not working with the vendor or just making post after post on this? Give them a chance to make it right. They do have a good reputation for making things right w people."
I am working with them, was hoping to help get the attention of the owner as seen in other posts.

" Mod delete your other thread ? "
scrubbed it and moved it

"Not sure what all the fuss is about. I see items worth millions on a daily basis packaged way worse than the photos in your other thread. Unless the motor physically sustained damage I'd just take note and move on"
Was ok with the first price, not ok with same price for smashed up re-inspected. We are talking about something costs slightly less than 5 figures.

Still need some help with a formal opinion on letterhead
Old 05-02-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Perhaps you can contact other vendors and find out how they attach there motors when they crate them. Maybe one of them will give it to you in writing.

I used SDPC and they used an engine cradle that they make and bolt it down to the pallet. They also use 2x4 in the corner as reinforcement.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i've been in this situation, but with a screw compressor for work. owner put it on his credit card. they wanted us to jump through all sorts of hoops trying not to pay the claim. eventually it was worth getting an attorney to speak with the CC company's insurance surveyor. cost a grand for the lawyer, but saved 8k or so on the machine

if you really wanna talk to some pros, google crating and packing in your area.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
With all respect, it does matter when trying to get a refund and proving to a credit company that the item may have been damaged.
I see... I was assuming you already had pics of an obviously damaged product. My bad.

Am I right in guessing that the pics in the other thread don't really how it was packed, but rather they show what the crate looked like after falling off a forklift or something?

Terrible situation, I hope it comes to a good resolution.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I worked in a shipping hub and can honestly tell you that the majority of the damage is caused loading and unloading. Guys get in a hurry and don't drop the forklift forks low enough or they drive onto the truck and slide the crate against the crate in front of it and then the next pallet gets shoved up against that one, The end result is sometimes wooden crates don't hold up so well. Sometimes during transfers the damage is to the point that they simply do a quick fix with shrink wrap or they repackage the shipment, It's not done very well and not always the same way it was originally packed.. The problem isn't always how it was packaged for shipment rather what happened to it during shipment. That is why you are supposed to inspect it before accepting delivery, Many times when you sign for it it now belongs to you damaged or not. There are a few exceptions, Like hidden damage. By refusing delivery it's an issue to be settled between the shipper and seller. I would never have signed for something until I inspected it if it arrived in that condition.

What damage was done?

Last edited by LLLosingit; 05-03-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

I read what you had to say with your responses 75Tony,and I believe you are going about things the correct way.Hopefully you can get someone to stick their neck out and give you some documentation and industry standards you need.
If I were on the other side,I would damn sure photograph and document my product and crate before it went out the door.Better for them and everyone else involved,including you.It would be silly if the don't do that on their end.One situation like yours,and that should be the end of that.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I asked in the other thread a question before it was deleted/scrubbed....I'm still confused. Even if it was an accident, or the shipping company screwed up and damaged the package and tried to throw it back together, etc. That still doesn't explain where the engine stand/straps/packing material/etc. are. If the vendor has shipped "5000 engines with 20 claims", surely they put their motors on stands or strapped/ratcheted in place. But I don't see any support material inside the box.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It wouldn't matter to me if it showed up in the trunk of an '83 Chrysler grand fury. All that really matters is if the product undamaged and in good condition. Seems like too much energy is being put into this, if the motor isn't hurt..... install it and roll out. Now, if the motor is indeed damaged (would be hard to do), shipper would need to pay up.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I asked in the other thread a question before it was deleted/scrubbed....I'm still confused. Even if it was an accident, or the shipping company screwed up and damaged the package and tried to throw it back together, etc. That still doesn't explain where the engine stand/straps/packing material/etc. are. If the vendor has shipped "5000 engines with 20 claims", surely they put their motors on stands or strapped/ratcheted in place. But I don't see any support material inside the box.
I don't see why someone who deals in engines would ship an engine unprotected it's just not good for the bottom line.
Like I said in my other post just because something arrived with poor packaging doesn't mean it was shipped that way.
That engine may have been on and off a few trailers before it made it to it's destination. At minimum it was loaded/unloaded 3x.
LTL picks it up from shipper and takes it to their hub where it's unloaded on the dock, Then it loaded on another trailer and taken to the next hub where it is again unloaded and placed on the dock. From there it is either loaded on another trailer for delivery or placed on a trailer going to the next hub. How many times it's loaded/unloaded depends on the shipping company routes and it's final destination. Anywhere along the line that crate could have been damaged/tipped over and so on and that can also mean packing materials are changed/lost/destroyed/replaced/left out. That is why it's so important to inspect them before they are signed for.
If there is any reason to suspect the product is damaged you either ask the driver to let you inspect it and if he says he doesn't have time then you refuse it and most times the driver will suddenly make time because he doesn't want to work around it the rest of his route. If you find possible damage it can be noted and accepted or refused. By signing without damage notation you are essentially saying the product arrived in good condition.
Most sellers are blamed for shipping related problems that they have no control over "damage/late/left in the rain/left when nobody is home " In this case it seems the buyer is fixated on the crate condition and not the condition of the contents. If the contents arrived in good condition who cares what the packaging looks like in the end.
As a side note, I don't think people understand what has happened to the trucking industry over the years, Many of the drivers they use are barely able to speak English if at all. I have had a CDL for 30yrs and I don't drive in front of or beside these people. Truckers never had the best reputation but most were at least good at driving.... Not anymore!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
...If the contents arrived in good condition who cares what the packaging looks like in the end.....
Makes no sense. How can you tell if anything internal to the motor was damaged? Part of product design that I deal with is mechanical shock. You can drop a crate and all the paneling looks fine exterior wise, but the inside suffered violent mechanical shock without you knowing it unless you tear it apart.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Makes no sense. How can you tell if anything internal to the motor was damaged? Part of product design that I deal with is mechanical shock. You can drop a crate and all the paneling looks fine exterior wise, but the inside suffered violent mechanical shock without you knowing it unless you tear it apart.
C'mon man lol. I seriously doubt that the motor now has a bent crank and mortally wounded rods.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
C'mon man lol. I seriously doubt that the motor now has a bent crank and mortally wounded rods.
When you're dealing with spec's that are in the thousandths (i.e. main/rod/cam clearances)....you seriously don't think anything could happen when a pallet is dropped from several feet and the motor is just laying inside?