Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starting over - post accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting over - post accident

My beloved blown WS6 may be a writeoff (a man in a white van managed to smack into my parked car). My only mod was the Vortech blower.

If my goal is to end up with a supercharged street car, what would you guys recommend doing?

Get the lowest mileage WS6 and do which mods? I think a new diff was on the cards eventually.

Vortech intercooled vs ATI Procharger? Anything else whilst I'm at it that ought to be done?

I'm in London, so will have to fly out the US to get one -- so I guess I should go for an Arizona car?

Any help appreciated!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Why Arizona?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01SCSS
Why Arizona?
I was thinking AZ cars are less likely to be rusty - I guess anywhere south of the rust belt would work. Maybe Texas would be better? Isn't there lower (zero?) state tax?

Last time I imported I was too busy and paid someone else to do it, so I don't know what's best. I also imported my TA brand new (mistake - huge new car tax and low used car tax on US cars in the UK). You live and you learn.

Any smarter place to source cars from?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd talk to scott at SDCE. they have a great pully setup for the ATI kits that, even though it's in it's infant stages, is showing to work very well. Give us an idea of your money situation. Forced induction isn't cheap, but if you have a budget maybe we can make some suggestions.

Off the top of my head some things you might want to consider are:

12-Bolt rear
upgraded clutch(for M6)
torque converter and beefed up tranny(for A4)
long tube headers
internal fuel pump and fuel injectors
lower compression 6.0L heads and blower cam
LS1Edit programmer and ATAP/EFILive diagnostics

If money is not tight a tuner might be able to set this all up for you.

As for states, I live in Maryland and have yet to see a 4th gen with rust problems in my area. I think a well maintained car in any state should be fine. The only thing you might want to look out for is someone using their F-Body as a daily driver in the northern states and Canada. That road salt can be a killer!

Good luck,
Mike
Old 07-06-2004, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

The majority of F bodies bodies (lol) are plastic or fiberglass. I have not seen any rust problems on any before.

My advice would be to find a High mileage car so the initial amount of cash you drop will not be so hard to swallow. That will save you money for a blower and some good motor parts n suspension parts!

Brad
Old 07-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Money isn't the main issue - I probably have more money than sense! For example, i imported a brand new WS6 here in 2000 and paid over 50% total tax! But at least I got a good deal on my Vortech intercooled blower. It's a nice kit - comes with in-tank fuel pump, injectors and instructions for LS1-Edit stuff. I paid someone else to put the blower in rather than attempt it myself.

I had considered heads and cam. How much do you gain?
Old 07-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks Brad - I guess one solution would be a high mileage car and then a whole new engine and drivetrain (if I save enough on the mileage)!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Buy a 01 or 02 car and slap a Vortech on it along with the basic bolt ons and depending on if its a stick or auto you'll have 450-470 to the wheels all day.

The motor can handle 7 psi all day.

The reason I suggest a newer car is all the components will be nice and new, the interior nice and overall you'll have a better car that you'll be proud to enjoy.

for some reason i'm partial to SS Camaro's specifically Sunset Orange ones.

Quick Reply: Starting over - post accident