Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Carb gods step in please

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carb gods step in please

Hey guys, I recently rebuilt the small block 350 that is in my nova.
Forged dished pistons, forged rods ,etc.. demon blow thru carb 750cfm.

The problem im having is I cannot get it to stop going lean during high boost. I've swapped jets many times with not much effect. I know the bigger I go the better. Just had 72/84 and it wouldn't go far without going lean. Yet the exhaust fumes and spark plugs tell me its running pretty rich. Max boost is about 10psi.

I've had 86/96 jets in and I can get it to run pretty strong up to wot again, then goes lean. Will run great 1/2 to 3/4 throttle around 11.5 afr.

Sorry for the dumb questions, pretty new to boost, and this is the first carb'd engine I've had. Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

How much fuel pressure and which regulator? The orientation of the hat can also cause problems. Where do you have the floats set?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, check the basics out (as Loud Mouse stated) and then throw that Demon as far as you can and get something else, lol. Admittedly mine is roots blown and draw-through, but these Demons have kicked my carb-experienced ***. I have found flaws in them as well. One of my IFR's was never even drilled! Mine goes lean when you start to stand on it. Part throttle at about 5psi it's at 13.9 AFR. They have too many emulsion holes and act like no other carb for sure. Keep us posted. Best of luck with yours!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the benefit of having boostbrefrence power valves.... when you get into boost it’s not relying on main jet and adds fuel through the power valve.... this is why having a carb done by c&s, CSU, or other reputable companies makes a difference.... everyone I’ve seen use a shelf carb from big names regrets their decision.....
Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Loud Mouse
How much fuel pressure and which regulator? The orientation of the hat can also cause problems. Where do you have the floats set?
Fuel pressure is about 7psi. Instructions that came with carb say 6.5 psi is max. I do not have a boost referenced regulator yet, is that my problem? Floats are set right in the middle.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 47ford
This is the benefit of having boostbrefrence power valves.... when you get into boost it’s not relying on main jet and adds fuel through the power valve.... this is why having a carb done by c&s, CSU, or other reputable companies makes a difference.... everyone I’ve seen use a shelf carb from big names regrets their decision.....
I just dropped $800 on this carb lol
Old 07-09-2018, 01:35 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by onesloGTO
Fuel pressure is about 7psi. Instructions that came with carb say 6.5 psi is max. I do not have a boost referenced regulator yet, is that my problem? Floats are set right in the middle.
Most likely, yes.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onesloGTO
Yes having a boost referenced regulator is a must. Once you get into boost @ 7lb u have no fuel pressure without it.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

You have 2 problems, no boost ref reg. and a Demon carb.
Once your boost matched fuel pressure, fuel cannot flow into
the carb-like kissing your sister, lol.
Someone like CSU building a carb will help you reach your goals.
Do not use boost until a new reg is installed, unless you like burnt
pistons. There are little things you can do to the Demon, smaller hi speed
air bleeds, larger PVR holes, etc, but w/o the boost ref reg, nothing will help.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Ok... what is a good, reasonably priced regulator?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Needle/Seat Size of .140"

Hi GTO, the Boost referenced regulator is a MUST.

I did a few SC Panteras AND always installed .140" needle/seats (Steel) in those days, before EFI.

Lance
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Launching!

I used the aeromotive regulator (13204 which is for the a 1000 fuel pump with boost refrence).....make sure you drill and tap your hat and hook that port to it and no where else. If the inlet of the hat is at 12 o’clock drill and tap 1/8npt at 6 o’clock so flow goes directly in it. Which fuel pump are you running?
Old 07-10-2018, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Building a blow through carb to perform well has challenges, but it is not as impossible as you make things sound. Doing so without a boost referenced FPR is, however, impossible. Then again, the only one I ever did was only running 27# boost on a low compression SBC build with a Procharger.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Demon carbs aren't known for their blow-through performance. CSU does an incredible job on their blow-through carbs.
Get the regulator and go from there, but you might want to start lining up a new carb now just in case your current one doesn't work out, that way you already know exactly what you need instead of being stuck dead in the water.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I"ve done many blow throughs. I used to buy CSU...now I build my own. A1000 pump and Mallory 4309 regulator works perfectly, boost referenced of course. Also a nice easy way to richen it up top with small jetting is to add vent tube extensions hose clamped to the vent. I use aluminum fuel line from Summit, but brake line works well too. Aim them into the air stream and tie wrap them together. I've even flared them and gotten down to tiny main jetting. Look it up, there are many threads on it on TheTurboForums. Also, you can raise the floats a touch and install smaller high speed air bleeds. But trust me....the extensions work.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WTF?
I"ve done many blow throughs. I used to buy CSU...now I build my own. A1000 pump and Mallory 4309 regulator works perfectly, boost referenced of course. Also a nice easy way to richen it up top with small jetting is to add vent tube extensions hose clamped to the vent. I use aluminum fuel line from Summit, but brake line works well too. Aim them into the air stream and tie wrap them together. I've even flared them and gotten down to tiny main jetting. Look it up, there are many threads on it on TheTurboForums. Also, you can raise the floats a touch and install smaller high speed air bleeds. But trust me....the extensions work.

Funny how most people get hung up on fuel jets and ignore the air bleeds. Then again, blow throughs have a unique issue with throttle shaft seals that most carb guys don't have to deal with.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gametech
Building a blow through carb to perform well has challenges, but it is not as impossible as you make things sound. Doing so without a boost referenced FPR is, however, impossible. Then again, the only one I ever did was only running 27# boost on a low compression SBC build with a Procharger.
not impossible by any means.... he will have trouble with leaning out in higher boost I’m guessing and will have to run huge jets.... hence the brpv..... hell who knows it might be the best investment he ever made but I guess we will see....
Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

not impossible by any means.... he will have trouble with leaning out in higher boost I’m guessing and will have to run huge jets.... hence the brpv..... hell who knows it might be the best investment he ever made but I guess we will see....
It is much more involved than a normal carb build, but the info is out there. As I recall, CSU was one of the information resources I used in the previously mentioned build. I have not messed with a blow-through in years, so the details are a bit sketchy in my mind at this point.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I did the vent tube extensions, now drop to about 9.5 to 10 afr. Time to drop jets!

Quick Reply: Carb gods step in please