Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Very budget friendly 4.8 Turbo recipe

Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very budget friendly 4.8 Turbo recipe

I will start off by saying that I have NO history with turbos so it's going to be a learning experience in every aspect.
If I start off with a 4.8 long block what are the most cost friendly components that I need to build it?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

We need some more info. What are your goals, hp, et?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A Addict
I will start off by saying that I have NO history with turbos so it's going to be a learning experience in every aspect.
If I start off with a 4.8 long block what are the most cost friendly components that I need to build it?
The standard is a SS2 cam, PAC springs, and a VS 7875. wally 450 and deka 80's. Thatll get you to 600 tire.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Go read the whole thread for 4.8 turbo swap new edge mustang he did a full build for the car and did a stock 4.8 and then just took it to the track last Friday that thread will give u an idea of what to be aware of
Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

I have done 2 and been in contact with guys here that's done bone stock bottom end turbo swaps and even tho some work out most either break a ring land or put a new window in the block. It's worth using better rods and pistons.from a gen4 if u don't want to be looking for a new motor after the first couple track runs
Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

ok sorry for the lack of info...... Thinking of using this motor build in a 69 Firebird and using a T56. I am not a drag strip track guy, I'm more into handling and would be ultimately building the car as mild pro-touring. I would be ecstatic with a little over 500 HP at the wheels I think. Basically a fun *** street car that is reliable.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Gen 3 4.8s are stronger than the other gen 3 engines. Other than trying to run stock ring gap, they are going to last longer.

I would 100% go with something smaller than the SS2 cam on a 4.8. The 216/220 is a MUCH better choice if you want to stay cheap.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A Addict
ok sorry for the lack of info...... Thinking of using this motor build in a 69 Firebird and using a T56. I am not a drag strip track guy, I'm more into handling and would be ultimately building the car as mild pro-touring. I would be ecstatic with a little over 500 HP at the wheels I think. Basically a fun *** street car that is reliable.
-216/220 cam from Trick Flow/Jegs/Elgin (all the same cam). $300
-Pair of ebay 5056 T3 turbos. $250
-Stock truck manifolds flipped forward, 2 14-gauge steel 2.5" U-bends, a pair OBX 2.5" to T3 transition flanges. $140
-
China intercooler/piping kit. $160
-PAC1218 or Howard's 98113. $140
-Otherwise stock long block (replace head gaskets with ~$40 LS1 OEM gaskets if you have the heads off for any reason).
-Decapped stock truck injectors $Free
-Walbro 450. $120

Will make 600wheel through a T56 at ~14 PSI on pump gas, and spool fast enough to at least keep some sort of linear powerband for a pro-touring car.

I've done this exact same setup and it made 600wheel on the Heartbreaker dyno on a 4.8 with a mild tuneup on 93 octane. Went 5.3 and had to switch to external wastegates to keep boost down.
The following users liked this post:
Gearburt_McGearhead (11-28-2022)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
I have done 2 and been in contact with guys here that's done bone stock bottom end turbo swaps and even tho some work out most either break a ring land or put a new window in the block. It's worth using better rods and pistons.from a gen4 if u don't want to be looking for a new motor after the first couple track runs

Not True...a lot depends on the build, weight of vehicle, turbo choice, Fuel being used, who,s tuning it. Too rich is just as bad as too lean, timing needs to be pulled around peak torque with any setup. A big cam small turbine setup running rich on gasoline is a good way to destroy a gen 3 engine. So many variables that contribute to blowing up an engine whether its a built short block or not. If you can start out with a Gen 4 block that's what I'd recommend. I know guys destroying built blocks from tunning errors or just as simple as a an injector not flowing whats specced. Forged motors just cost more when they break. I've had forged internals stored in my closet for a long time waiting for my gen 4 5.3 to let go. Like 2 years now. Good luck and check out Matt Denmah over at sloppy mechanics.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I did say a gen 4 is the only way I would do another stock bottom end turbo build. If u look on this site there Are a handful of guys showimg impressive results from a stock bottom end build but there's 20 horror stories for every success. What the guy above me isn't saying is that with every turbo build there is the want to go faster. At some.point u will.crank the boost up and knowing that ahead of time makes it worth spending a little more in the beginning. U can build what u want but if u took a pole of ppl asking if they know anyone that destroyed a stock motor with a turbo it's gonna be a high number
Old 08-10-2018, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks JoeNova for the great info and detailed parts list. That always helps tremendously!

Interesting thoughts guys....... I've got a gen 3 and I can definitely see where you are coming from that you get comfortable with whatever the current power level is and start turning it up, probably even until something breaks but here is a question then. If you built a 4.8 turbo setup on a stockish motor just to get you started cheap and quick and got it to last a couple years while you prepped a 6.0 would most of the components from the 4.8 build be useable on the 6.0?

I like to "think" that I could show some restraint and live with around 400-500hp while I worked on the bigger idea in the long run.

Search this Thread