Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does turbocharging turn on check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does turbocharging turn on check engine light?

I'm worried if I go turbo I won't be able to pass inspection in Houston.

For those with turbo's on their 1998-2002 firebird/camaro - does adding a turbo turn on the service engine soon light?

I'm thinking about buying bmr k member (since I have to get a new power steering rack and need to cut a bolt or drop k member) and welding in custom truck manifolds or ebay turbo.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Lol you may want to reconsider going turbo if you have to ask if it turns on the cel.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Harris County strictly visual inspection, or do they do smog checks as well?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they don't smog but they hookup to obd and you can't have check engine lights (i think you can have 1 cel but not 2)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

My check engine light isn’t on, but I turned off a bunch of stuff through HP tuners so it wouldn’t come on. It’ll pass the OBD portion of the inspection.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by somefire
I'm worried if I go turbo I won't be able to pass inspection in Houston.

For those with turbo's on their 1998-2002 firebird/camaro - does adding a turbo turn on the service engine soon light?

I'm thinking about buying bmr k member (since I have to get a new power steering rack and need to cut a bolt or drop k member) and welding in custom truck manifolds or ebay turbo.
You need to do a lot more research. We all started somewhere, so don't feel bad about it, but you are looking at some serious learning curve if you go down this road. Make sure you are ready to invest a lot of time in both wrenching and reading. Otherwise you will be disappointed.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Im in el paso and if the obd portion is what it is here they look at the readyness monitors for o2 sensors and catalysts and once they have all run there obd tests then check for codes. Tests run and no codes you pass. My car since i turned of the post catalyst o2 sensors will always read not ready so it wont pass el paso smog. I register it in new mexico since the dont test for anything statewide except albuquerque and santa fe. If your planning a diy doesnt sound like your ready. No offense.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jordoza
Im in el paso and if the obd portion is what it is here they look at the readyness monitors for o2 sensors and catalysts and once they have all run there obd tests then check for codes. Tests run and no codes you pass. My car since i turned of the post catalyst o2 sensors will always read not ready so it wont pass el paso smog. I register it in new mexico since the dont test for anything statewide except albuquerque and santa fe. If your planning a diy doesnt sound like your ready. No offense.
You need to set it to no error reported and you will pass the obd2 test
Old 09-25-2018, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the deal in Texas Counties that OBD test, No check engine light and one readiness condition can be not ready for 2000 and above, 2 readiness can be not ready for 99 and below. If you go in with a CEL you fail. Unless you can find some corrupt shop, since your in Houston that should't be a problem.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I will try that.thanks.