Small frame quick spooling turbo - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Small frame quick spooling turbo

Old 10-12-2018, 01:45 AM
  #1  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Vanacouver , BC
Posts: 41
Default Small frame quick spooling turbo

Its going into a heavy 4x4 with 37 inch tires, so low end torque and response is priority, also the space under hood is a little limited . It's a gen 4 4.8 , so I don't have cubes to help spool either . I plan to make 500 hp max, I could care less if it runs out of steam at 5000rpm, its going to spend most of its time around 1000rpm- 3500rpm. It would be awesome if I can get spool and response characteristics like a ferd 3.5 ecobewst. Any suggestions are appreciated .
Lsx Rubi is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:30 AM
  #2  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Stockbridge GA
Posts: 2,947
Default

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi View Post
Its going into a heavy 4x4 with 37 inch tires, so low end torque and response is priority, also the space under hood is a little limited . It's a gen 4 4.8 , so I don't have cubes to help spool either . I plan to make 500 hp max, I could care less if it runs out of steam at 5000rpm, its going to spend most of its time around 1000rpm- 3500rpm. It would be awesome if I can get spool and response characteristics like a ferd 3.5 ecobewst. Any suggestions are appreciated .
Something like an old 60mm Garrett would fit the bill nicely, but there are probably even better newer designs. BTW, this is a terrible forum for asking about quick spooling torque monsters. The average response will probably involve a Borg turbo that will be half the size of your motor, along with recommendations for a 5500rpm stall converter. Quick spooling around here seems to be starting to spool at 3000rpm.
gametech is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 AM
  #3  
TECH Fanatic
 
svslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 1,184
Default

Borg S366
svslow is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM
  #4  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Duvall, WA
Posts: 87
Default

Garrett GT3582R, perhaps, assuming the 4.8L is basically stock in terms of airflow characteristics? If I'm reading the compressor map correctly, it'll just barely avoid falling into choke up top at ~1 bar boost. I used one on a 4.2L Ford V6 for several years and was pretty happy with it.
lemming104 is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:04 PM
  #5  
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
topbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 256
Default

You might check out this similar 4.8 / s366 build. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-8-van-539084/

If it were me, I would install a cam suited for low rpm torque production in a 4.8l. stock48 should be one of the first people to contact about this. Stock48 facebook contact
topbrent is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:38 PM
  #6  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Vanacouver , BC
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by gametech View Post
Something like an old 60mm Garrett would fit the bill nicely, but there are probably even better newer designs. BTW, this is a terrible forum for asking about quick spooling torque monsters. The average response will probably involve a Borg turbo that will be half the size of your motor, along with recommendations for a 5500rpm stall converter. Quick spooling around here seems to be starting to spool at 3000rpm.
Lol I did notice that . I hate high stall converters don't like the rubberband effect and the disconnect between the engine and trans . It's going to be a stock stall 4l80e . Be happy if I can see positive manifold pressure around 1800-2000 rpm as that will be me my cruise rpms . Lots of mountains here and elevation change so it would be nice to go up grades in overdrive and not have trans shifting all the time .
Lsx Rubi is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:39 PM
  #7  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Forcefed86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 5,779
Default

Another vote for the S366... Good build showing what they are capable of. (on a bigger motor to boot)

https://www.theturboforums.com/threa...54-wtq.384933/
Forcefed86 is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM
  #8  
Restricted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,219
Default

T4 GT3582. Billet wheel and anti-surge compressor housing. You can get one for 400-500 bucks.
Will make 500 on a 4.8 and tons of torque.
JoeNova is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM
  #9  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Vanacouver , BC
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by lemming104 View Post
Garrett GT3582R, perhaps, assuming the 4.8L is basically stock in terms of airflow characteristics? If I'm reading the compressor map correctly, it'll just barely avoid falling into choke up top at ~1 bar boost. I used one on a 4.2L Ford V6 for several years and was pretty happy with it.
Seems like something I would be interested in , it's a tad on the small side. Also it's a little out of my budget would like to keep it around $1200 . Airflow wise I might throw in a baby cam 205/210 113 lsa .550 lift something along those lines .
Lsx Rubi is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM
  #10  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (3)
 
slowride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Waterloo, IA
Posts: 579
Default

What are you looking to spend? A borg s360/363 cast wheel would be fine. Even some of the smaller 65mm turbine ebay turbos would be fine. You don't need much for the cubes and power you're after.
slowride is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:04 PM
  #11  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Vanacouver , BC
Posts: 41
Default

I have been looking at the s366 , its a good option , I have a lq4 with t4 S475 that spools up pretty good around 2000rpms I start seeing boost. The price is pretty decent as well , do the 68mm turbine wheel with .88 A/r . The only thing I don't like is that its physical size is big but I guess that's why they are reliable , they are built like tanks.
Lsx Rubi is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:26 PM
  #12  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (21)
 
truckdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 3,855
Default

if you need small physically, the china 7875's can fit just about anywhere.
truckdoug is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:28 PM
  #13  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (3)
 
slowride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Waterloo, IA
Posts: 579
Default

Friend is selling these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-7...EAAOSwdc5bYL-A, but might be a bit more turbo than you need. I'd run the .81 housing for what you want.
slowride is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM
  #14  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Vanacouver , BC
Posts: 41
Default

I'm trying to stay away from china turbos , want the rig to be reliable as I'll taking it remote areas and trails
Lsx Rubi is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM
  #15  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 11,885
Default

S366 would be good.

or at a little more money, maybe a 362SXE sort of thing.

Even stepping up to the larger 73mm turbine probably wouldnt hurt anything at all, and may well work better by allowing the engine to breathe a bit better rather than choking it.
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 PM
  #16  
Restricted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,219
Default

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi View Post
I'm trying to stay away from china turbos , want the rig to be reliable as I'll taking it remote areas and trails
Then Borg Warner is your only safe bet.
Precision turbos seem to come apart if used for anything more than quarter mile passes.
JoeNova is offline  
Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM
  #17  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Vanacouver , BC
Posts: 41
Default

Would a s362 with a .83 A/R be too small?
Lsx Rubi is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
  #18  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Forcefed86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 5,779
Default

Not any smaller physically and costs more...Why would you go that route? S366 is the way to go.
Forcefed86 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
  #19  
TECH Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 363
Default

Could also do a precision 6766
ls3fox is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
  #20  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 11,885
Default

Originally Posted by Forcefed86 View Post
Not any smaller physically and costs more...Why would you go that route? S366 is the way to go.
The earlier 362FMW is slightly smaller than the regular 366. Not much though.

But I'd still prefer the larger turbine side of the 366.

Or these cover both in the SXE range. The 363 with the billet wheel should outperform the regular cast 366 in all areas, airflow and spool because of the lighter wheel

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s36...3-13009097047/

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s36...3-13009097049/

But on price, the regular 366 would be hard to beat.

stevieturbo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: