Caprice PPV....new project - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Caprice PPV....new project

Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 PM
  #1  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default Caprice PPV....new project

I was looking for a C10 to swap my 2500hd stuff into when I fell into a 2011 Caprice PPV. Clean Kentucky car. Supposed low compression. Car is at a friends shop, I haven't even seen it yet. Need to pick up the engine from the dealer this weekend.

I am hoping the engine is just fine, and has afm issues. If not I have a forged rod piston lc9 5.3 I could put in. I have a built 4l80e that could go in. Either full manual, or do the wiring and add the T42.

I found some underside pics of a ppv and was wondering if I could mount twins low. Also found some pics of an aps twin kit for a g8 that mounts turbos where I was thinking. As far as I know the ppv is a g8 stretched 3.7".

Wanting to make 850whp. Diff is able to be upgraded to camaro stuff. 8.26 vs 8.6? Whatever, I may break stuff.

So either stock L77, or forged rod piston LC9. How much power could vs gt3582's T3's make? The smaller the better for the power goal.

I will update with some pics. Thanks!
rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 PM
  #2  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default


rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-05-2018, 07:56 PM
  #3  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default


rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 AM
  #4  
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (21)
 
truckdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 4,302
Default

I really like those cars. I was looking at buying a state hwy patrol one from a local auction but I got talked out of it. Apparently parts not shared with the 10-15 camaro or the G8 are hard to get and expensive. They sure as **** drive nice though.
truckdoug is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 AM
  #5  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (2)
 
408GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 810
Default

I like those cars too. They seem difficult to find and as Doug said, parts interchange is a bit difficult.
408GT is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 PM
  #6  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default






Got some pics. Still haven't seen it yet.
rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 03:54 PM
  #7  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default

I went and looked at the car this morning. It is definitely a little rough around the edges. Should clean up ok. Picked up the engine and sold it to a friend/engine builder for some cash and labor to assemble my forged 5.3.

3.80 bore LC9
Forged rods
Wiseco pistons
Stock 243 heads
BTR dual springs
moly pushrods
LS9 gaskets probably?
China studs
Speed inc TU1.5 cam
LS2 intake
ID1700's

I was told to give the stock 6l80e and converter a try, I might be surprised. Will run E85.
Twin VS gt3582's.
rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:24 AM
  #8  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (5)
 
krazy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,403
Default

Sounds like a nice engine combo!
I would run the ARP head studs instead. Just me though, I know a lot of guys have ran them successfully.
krazy4 is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM
  #9  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,310
Default

APS no longer makes a kit that I know of. However, AGP makes a good kit for the G8 and Camaro that works well. May need some minor tweaks to the intercooler mounting and plumbing to work on the PPV.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
  #10  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by krazy4 View Post
Sounds like a nice engine combo!
I would run the ARP head studs instead. Just me though, I know a lot of guys have ran them successfully.
Still on the fence. I have some alper studs in my silverado with no issues at 14 psi. This car will make quite a bit more power hopefully.....

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post
APS no longer makes a kit that I know of. However, AGP makes a good kit for the G8 and Camaro that works well. May need some minor tweaks to the intercooler mounting and plumbing to work on the PPV.
I am not buying a big dollar kit for a beat up cop car. I can make it. I posted the picture of the aps kit because I want to do it similar.



rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:03 AM
  #11  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Originally Posted by rpm-inc View Post
Still on the fence. I have some alper studs in my silverado with no issues at 14 psi. This car will make quite a bit more power hopefully.....

I am not buying a big dollar kit for a beat up cop car. I can make it. I posted the picture of the aps kit because I want to do it similar.
I was stating it because they sell the kit components individually if you look at their site. Like the adapters that bolt to stock manifolds with a turbo and wastegate flange that clear the trans makes for a handy start.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM
  #12  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post
I was stating it because they sell the kit components individually if you look at their site. Like the adapters that bolt to stock manifolds with a turbo and wastegate flange that clear the trans makes for a handy start.
Now that I did not know! I don't see anything for a g8 on the site, but it does look like the camaro adapters work on a g8, and not terribly expensive....Thanks! I emailed agp.


rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM
  #13  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Originally Posted by rpm-inc View Post
Now that I did not know! I don't see anything for a g8 on the site, but it does look like the camaro adapters work on a g8, and not terribly expensive....Thanks! I emailed agp.
Yes, Iíve done the camaro kit on the G8 most of it is the same.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 PM
  #14  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post


Yes, Iíve done the camaro kit on the G8 most of it is the same.
OK thanks again! Do you have any idea if those adapters would work/fit with a 4l80e if I decided to go that route?


rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM
  #15  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,310
Default

Originally Posted by rpm-inc View Post
OK thanks again! Do you have any idea if those adapters would work/fit with a 4l80e if I decided to go that route?
I do not know for sure but the 6L80 is a big *** trans and it clears that.

The Huron Speed 5th gen hotside is fairly cheap and fit well if you wanted to do a single turbo. I used that and mocked up my own cold side, easily ran 9's on the little T4 turbo and was about $2500 for everything.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 04:18 PM
  #16  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 873
Default

Subscribed, I love how these are becoming more popular to modify. Please keep it stock looking on the outside!
LQ4-E39 is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 PM
  #17  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post
I do not know for sure but the 6L80 is a big *** trans and it clears that.

The Huron Speed 5th gen hotside is fairly cheap and fit well if you wanted to do a single turbo. I used that and mocked up my own cold side, easily ran 9's on the little T4 turbo and was about $2500 for everything.
AGP responded quick. The passenger side wastegate needs to be relocated to the turbine housing for an 80e. Not a deal breaker. How would these VS gt3582's do on a 5.3?

Twin 61/62 T3 Special v-band discharge 3″ .82ar

I do have a pair of t4 on3 7065's. Would those fit down there? Or I will look at the huron single kit. I do have a "real" turbo also. Garett t4 billet wheel s480.

Minus the oil scavenging, the agp aps style looks so simple and nothing melting under the hood.

rpm-inc is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 AM
  #18  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,310
Default

I doubt the T4's will fit, even the 61/62 will be tight but would work well. Yes the oil return routing is a bit of a pain. I use a Weldon oil scavenge pump without issue but I've also used the exa-pump and it worked fine.

Depends on your goals. The single T4 will work well and probably carry you to near 900hp but the twins will be good for well over 1000 as long as the rest of the car can use it.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 PM
  #19  
TECH Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 301
Default

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post
I doubt the T4's will fit, even the 61/62 will be tight but would work well. Yes the oil return routing is a bit of a pain. I use a Weldon oil scavenge pump without issue but I've also used the exa-pump and it worked fine.

Depends on your goals. The single T4 will work well and probably carry you to near 900hp but the twins will be good for well over 1000 as long as the rest of the car can use it.
Are you saying the vs 61/62's would make 1000+? Not that I would be that high, but I would love to use the agp adapters. They are a bargain even at 500. Sucks I have 2 new mvr's and not mvs's though....
rpm-inc is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: