Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lowest profile sheet metal intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowest profile sheet metal intake

Im building a street car similar to my racecar. 99 Camaro ss Huron speed t6 kit. Looking for the lowest profile sheet metal intake. I’m looking at the fitech ls one, it looks pretty low. I don’t want to cut the cowl at all. I was just going to use stock ls6 intake but I don’t like the look and the prices people want for them I mind as well buy a new one. Any info greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

What are people asking for LS6 intakes? I may sell mine if the price is right as I need $$ for parts. The Holly Sniper EFI may be the ticket but I think most of them out there are from overseas and not sure how well they will hold up under boost. The Holly EFI Mid Rise might just work for you. My 99 Camaro build will be for the strip so I'm go big with the Holly EFI High Ram and I think there's a company out there that even makes a hood that will clear them.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Most of the cheap chinese stuff are all the same anyway ( and available in a couple of different heights ), so if one of them is low enough to fit, just buy it.

Or is it a more expensive unit you're after ?
Old 02-22-2019, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i bought the Sharp Custom ebay and they have low and high intake manifold and i got mine 102mm tb lol for cheap when the ebay special was going thru lol
Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

People are asking like $300-400 for ls6 intakes which I think is outrageous. And the problem with the cheap Chinese intakes is there’s so many idk which one is actually decent for the money. That’s why I was looking at the fitech I know the quality is good and it’s only $400 with fuel rails. I’m planning on trying to be close to 1000hp with a sbe gen 4 5.3 and a borg Warner s480. I just want a intake I know will fit under the cowl. If anyone has pics with the intake they run on there 4th gen please post away. Thanks !
Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

we would kindaaa need to know what car?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke1999
And the problem with the cheap Chinese intakes is there’s so many idk which one is actually decent for the money. That’s why I was looking at the fitech I know the quality is good and it’s only $400 with fuel rails.
LOL You do realize that the FITech intake is literally the exact same intake as the cheap chinese intake that is been rebranded 100 (or more) times over. Its not any different at all.
I literally couldn't name all of the 'brands' that there are on that intake without spending a couple days doing research. Sharp being one of them. They're just another company that orders parts from Alibaba in bulk and then sells them as their own. Don't get dragged into the lies.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by panda240ss
we would kindaaa need to know what car?
first post it says “1999 Camaro ss “ 👍🏽
Old 02-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova
LOL You do realize that the FITech intake is literally the exact same intake as the cheap chinese intake that is been rebranded 100 (or more) times over. Its not any different at all.
I literally couldn't name all of the 'brands' that there are on that intake without spending a couple days doing research. Sharp being one of them. They're just another company that orders parts from Alibaba in bulk and then sells them as their own. Don't get dragged into the lies.

the runner length and actual shape of the intake is different than the “Chinese rebranded” ones are, the “jegs” brand i can tell is a Chinese re branded intake but the fitech looks different than the others
Old 02-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

The sharp intake is $400 the same price as fitech and the fitech comes with fuel rails🤷🏼dum♂️
Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The sharp intake is $400 the same price as fitech and the fitech comes with fuel rails🤷🏼dum♂️
Can those fuel rails support 1,000 HP........
Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/7...Air%20Delivery ITS NOT A SHEET METAL ONE BUT ITS A GOOD PRICE AN FLOWS ALMOST AS GOOD AS A LS6
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Restricted User

the runner length and actual shape of the intake is different than the “Chinese rebranded” ones are, the “jegs” brand i can tell is a Chinese re branded intake but the fitech looks different than the others
I would suggest glasses. The FITech intake manifolds are the exact same as the short runner chinese intakes.

FITech:

Literally every other Chinese intake that has been rebranded 100 times and every seller claims as their own:

Weld type, weld location, plenum shape, flange shape, fuel rail mounts, fuel rail brackets, fuel rail fittings, crossover, MAP sensor port.... all identical. There isn't a difference here.
The FITech throttle body has replaced that REALLY crappy tube that falls out everytime you touch it with a threaded fittings. That is their ONE improvement.
Some of the ebay china ones have velocity stack runners inside of the intake manifold that'll likely make more power than the FITech.

Either way, the short runner versions of the fab intakes made less power everywhere than the LS6 on the dyno. The long runner version made more power at 6500 than the LS6, but the short runner wasn't even close. Across the board power loss.

I've built setups, tuned, and used these intake manifolds before. They are not your best option for power, sound, fitment, quality, etc. If you're buying one, do it on looks and cowl clearance alone. Expect drawbacks.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:00 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stilealive
Can those fuel rails support 1,000 HP........
The stock fuel rails have been 1000 horsepower.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Okay so knowing all this information. Should I just buy a ls6? The only plus side is all the vacuum ports on the fitech considering I have dual bovs and dual gates. I honestly don’t know what to do. and if it looses a little bit of horsepower nothing a lb of boost won’t fix. So what do you guys think I should buy and why? If I’m spending 400 on a cheap Chinese intake im getting the fitech one that comes with fuel rails and like someone said people have been 1000hp with stock rails. So if anyone has a opinion throw it in.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Okay so knowing all this information. Should I just buy a ls6? The only plus side is all the vacuum ports on the fitech considering I have dual bovs and dual gates. I honestly don’t know what to do. and if it looses a little bit of horsepower nothing a lb of boost won’t fix. So what do you guys think I should buy and why? If I’m spending 400 on a cheap Chinese intake im getting the fitech one that comes with fuel rails and like someone said people have been 1000hp with stock rails. So if anyone has a opinion throw it in.
Unless you're shooting for over 7000rpm, then the LS6 will most likely gain you HP everywhere compared to the Chinese stuff. Even more so the very short runner options
Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Restricted User

You can order them direct from China with rails and throttle body for like $300.
The throttle body is a pain in the *** to tune. The IAC hole is tiny and is hisses really loud. You end up with a wandering idle that takes hours to fight.
Then the top of the intake itself causes a ton of noise that goes away when you press your and down onto it.
At least the new ones have O-rings instead of paper gaskets so some of the sealing issues are gone.
The newer china intakes also addressed the weld issues on the back plate where the MAP mounts that keeps them from blowing apart (this used to be very common).

Boost will solve the power loss. You just have to decide if you want to deal with the other issues while driving normally. The darth vader sound the intake/IAC makes and the bit of part throttle torque loss.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The stock fuel rails have been 1000 horsepower.
I didn't know that. Have they been 1,200 RWHP....? Thats my goal with a single Comp turbo or an S484.......
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

first post it says “1999 Camaro ss “ 👍🏽
damn i feel dumb i didnt read that. im sorry!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stilealive
I didn't know that. Have they been 1,200 RWHP....? Thats my goal with a single Comp turbo or an S484.......
I don't think they've been 1200 because of issues that come up when dead-heading fuel rails with a pre-rail regulator.
Stock gen 3 truck rails could do 1200 wheel with fittings installed in the end-caps.