Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

For boost, plastic manifold vs fabricated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
Default For boost, plastic manifold vs fabricated?

More explanation on the question. So I have a dorman intake. Manifold is ported and thin in some areas. I'm going to end up turning up the boost before too long. Before I damage this intake I need to look at getting as something else. Was considering a fabricated one whether it be an eBay special or the Holley one. My question is, I know they do lose tq down low, but with boost will it still be a dog? Or would it be even better on the street because I may not annilate the tires as bad? Any other options that don't cost a grand?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
More explanation on the question. So I have a dorman intake. Manifold is ported and thin in some areas. I'm going to end up turning up the boost before too long. Before I damage this intake I need to look at getting as something else. Was considering a fabricated one whether it be an eBay special or the Holley one. My question is, I know they do lose tq down low, but with boost will it still be a dog? Or would it be even better on the street because I may not annilate the tires as bad? Any other options that don't cost a grand?
Stay away from the ebay specials. I tried that once, and the flange angles did not match the angle of the heads. They could be fixed, but the overall expense would be more than getting something better quality to begin with, unless my aluminum TIG skills get a lot better. I have never measured the clearance, but could you fit a truck intake? I do not believe they will fit the 2004, but the other ones have a different hood.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I believe someone did a comparo and even boosted the ebay stuff was down until high RPM (>6500).
Old 04-05-2019, 08:38 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

I put 28# though an ls1 intake with zero issues lol accidentally put 20# through my ls6 intake on my Camaro yesterday LOL what a wild ride that God it didnt blow a ring land 🤷dum♂️🤣 car is in 93 Oct and not Setup for 20# right now
Old 04-05-2019, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mavn
I put 28# though an ls1 intake with zero issues lol accidentally put 20# through my ls6 intake on my Camaro yesterday LOL what a wild ride that God it didnt blow a ring land 🤷dum♂️🤣 car is in 93 Oct and not Setup for 20# right now
Why did you hit 20psi?

Yea i might go back to a stock manifold then. If i can find one for a decent price.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Stay away from the ebay specials. I tried that once, and the flange angles did not match the angle of the heads. They could be fixed, but the overall expense would be more than getting something better quality to begin with, unless my aluminum TIG skills get a lot better. I have never measured the clearance, but could you fit a truck intake? I do not believe they will fit the 2004, but the other ones have a different hood.
My Holley Sniper was like this. Fit was very poor, but fixable. Head/port alignment also very poor....much harder to correct. And even the o-rings for the fittings didnt fit the rails correctly, as the rails didnt seem to have the correct taper in the ends.

In general **** poor. But it was cheap and it does look good. I dont expect it to last forever though, and it does make a really irritating noise at idle etc due to the thin relatively unsupported plenum.

OEM plastic intakes are hard to beat. The likes of BBK SSi or Weiand are metal OEM style options, and can work with some mods and still reasonably good value.

And despite the poor low down performance of the BTR...and lack of availability, it does tick a lot of good boxes. Price is good, low profile, quality seems there etc...It does have potential.

As for real world driving...TBH I never noticed any difference low down moving to the Sniper, so any losses arent a big deal really. But it isnt something I'm likely to keep forever on the car as I would have concerns about longevity.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How thin is thin? You could pressurize it with an air compressor before running it. I would vote to stick with a plastic one for low down power unless you're going to throw down on a frankenstein or BTR intake and spin your engine to 8k, those things a beauts. I just swapped from an LS1 with EGR plug to an LS6 and am planning on running that for a long time. As a shameless plug, shoot me a PM if you want to buy my OEM LS1 intake with LSX EGR plug
Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly i did the fab intake just for the look. i kinda hated how the factory intakes looked.

UNLESS its BALD EAGLE painted. god f**k America boys
Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by panda240ss
Honestly i did the fab intake just for the look. i kinda hated how the factory intakes looked.

UNLESS its BALD EAGLE painted. god f**k America boys
Why **** America boys?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

im going to use the speed master from jegs . it has a 96 mm opening i believe . needs ls2 fuel rail an injecters . jegs has a 90 mm throttle body to for 175 https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE148.1008/10002/-1https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE148.1008/10002/-1 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-l...ifolds-tested/
Old 04-07-2019, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about the new BTR intake? Fairly inexpensive and fits under the hood and quality is great.