Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

One side getting hot on TT setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:13 PM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question One side getting hot on TT setup?

On a Twin set up, what would cause one turbo and header to get much hotter then the other?
Turbo not spinning? No oil or return? Valve in the head? Spring?
tune? That is what im thinking, but im not sure. it is smoking a little as well, but it isnt the header wrap. doesnt smell at all.
Oh yhea, this happens at idle
any info would help alot. Thanks
Old 07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

turbo seized? does the impeller spin freely?

actuator/waste gate messed up?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
8 second mod

it isnt mine, but that is the first thing he will be checking.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Noyzee
it isnt mine, but that is the first thing he will be checking.
yeah...i was gonna say..i thought u sold your setup and went to a big baby bottle
Old 07-12-2004, 12:41 PM
8 second mod

I did sell it!! and yes i went to a bottle, but hey some times change is good!!
i hope! but man i do miss my setup already!! nothing like turbos
Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 PM
8 second mod

I did sell it!! and yes i went to a bottle, but hey some times change is good!!
i hope! but man i do miss my setup already!! nothing like turbos
Old 07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
8 second mod

My bad, sorry for the 2 post thing!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Noyzee
On a Twin set up, what would cause one turbo and header to get much hotter then the other?
Turbo not spinning? No oil or return? Valve in the head? Spring?
tune? That is what im thinking, but im not sure. it is smoking a little as well, but it isnt the header wrap. doesnt smell at all.
Oh yhea, this happens at idle
any info would help alot. Thanks
Fuel rail/injector/regulator problems on one bank of cylinders = leaner and hotter than the other side?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

K, finally got to this post. This is actually my setup -- Noyzee's old setup. Unfortunately didn't have a chance to take a look at it today -- it will have to wait till tomorrow night.

The passenger manifold will get red hot after only 3-4 minutes at IDLE. The driver side is perfect.

The fuel setup is as follows:
bosch pump, -8 line feeding into the back of the passenger rail, crossover in the front, return to the regulator out of the rear of the drivers rail, into the regulator, back to the tank via -8 line.

Could it be the oil feed line? Possibly kinked? It shouldn't be, its a straight shot with braided line into a T-fitting feeding both turbos (so wouldn't the drivers side get hot if the oil was the problem?) Not leaking any fluids. All plugs are still in tact.

Talked to the guys over at turbo technologies and they think it could be combustion in the manifold??????

How bout the wastegate -- could there be something wrong with it -- if so what would cause that (being stuck open or closed or what -- they are both backed all the way out at the moment).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great before I go tearing into it again tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Classic
K, finally got to this post. This is actually my setup -- Noyzee's old setup. Unfortunately didn't have a chance to take a look at it today -- it will have to wait till tomorrow night.

The passenger manifold will get red hot after only 3-4 minutes at IDLE. The driver side is perfect.

The fuel setup is as follows:
bosch pump, -8 line feeding into the back of the passenger rail, crossover in the front, return to the regulator out of the rear of the drivers rail, into the regulator, back to the tank via -8 line.

Could it be the oil feed line? Possibly kinked? It shouldn't be, its a straight shot with braided line into a T-fitting feeding both turbos (so wouldn't the drivers side get hot if the oil was the problem?) Not leaking any fluids. All plugs are still in tact.

Talked to the guys over at turbo technologies and they think it could be combustion in the manifold??????

How bout the wastegate -- could there be something wrong with it -- if so what would cause that (being stuck open or closed or what -- they are both backed all the way out at the moment).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great before I go tearing into it again tomorrow.
If it was just oil... the manifold would'nt be hotter... Id take the intake pipe off and check bearing play...

Funny thing is that really rich can cause this too...

Since leftover fuel lights up in the manifold.... If you burnt some exhaust valves on that side it could do it too....

Check the simple and obious... CHRA bearing, oil feed, fuel pressure, wastegate actuator, compression and leakdown, clean the injectors, check the plugs (runing colder than stock right?) etc....
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jammer
APE tells me my manifoids get RED on the DYNO. Noyz...did yours ever get red on the dyno?
My DSM's turbine housing gets red... and it is thick cast iron.... The mani probably does but I insulated and heat sheilded it so much I can't tell...

Red when you are cranking out boost at WOT is quite normal...
Old 07-12-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, i'm not talking red hot on the dyno -- I'm talking red hot at idle after it was dead cold. The car has only been started twice at the moment.

Running the TR6 plugs.

My guess is supper rich (but how can it be that rich on one side?).
Old 07-12-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, i'm not talking red hot on the dyno -- I'm talking red hot at idle after it was dead cold. The car has only been started twice at the moment.

Running the TR6 plugs.

My guess is supper rich (but how can it be that rich on one side?).
Injector(s) stuck open... swap all 8 squirters L to R.... Then see what happens

This is'nt the problem but I'd get rid of the series fuel system.. Get a V-block and put feeds on the same end of each rail and a twin inlet FPR on the other end..

At idle it wont matter but at wot a series like this pic system could lean out the second rail with bigger injectors...

OK

BEST

Old 07-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Launching!

The question that I would ask is that did noyzee see this condition also, or is it specific to you. If its you, that leaves removal, installation, or your engine as the possibilities.

Turbo manifolds do run hot, but not as you describe.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the downpipe, check the turbine, check for play, etc., then check waste gate, then if nothing is wrong there try swapping injectors side to side.

Guess I'll have to wait and see -- but keep the suggestions coming. The more you know right
Old 07-12-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

More back pressure on one side could cause this, wastegates not adjusted the same.

Gary
Old 07-12-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly I'd add a second bosch pump.. 1 per rail... get a aftermarket adjustable FPR with a boost reference port... The aeromotive pictured has one....

What are your 02 readings? Could a bum o2 sensor be playing tricks on that side?

Know anyone with a WB o2 you can use?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

wastegates are "adjusted" the same -- screwed out all the way -- however I did take the drivers side gate apart to check it out but didn't do that with the passenger side, just adjusted it out.

I think the first thing I'm going to try is the 02 sensor -- just checked the EFIlive and there are some bank 2 02 codes on there so my guess is thats screwed.

Amazing though -- even with all this I'm not pissed like I would be with a "simple" H/C setup, ha. Just can't beat FI although I have yet to even run boost
Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

wastegates are "adjusted" the same -- screwed out all the way -- however I did take the drivers side gate apart to check it out but didn't do that with the passenger side, just adjusted it out.

I think the first thing I'm going to try is the 02 sensor -- just checked the EFIlive and there are some bank 2 02 codes on there so my guess is thats screwed.

Amazing though -- even with all this I'm not pissed like I would be with a "simple" H/C setup, ha. Just can't beat FI although I have yet to even run boost
Carefull its addictive... I put 600hp from a 2.0 thru AWD.... Now I want more and a trans that can live more than one year... So it's going to be a 5.7 liter prostreet fed by two of the same turbos set at the same PSI...
Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha, I know its addictive. I have a very good friend who has a 97 GSX with a fully decked out 1st gen block. I was looking for a "cheap" daily driver toy type thing a GSX or talon AWD to have my "turbo" toy and ended up finding a couple but the guys sold both cars out from under me, and then Brad had his stuff for sale so I said F-it, I'll just throw the turbos on this thing

Stop messing with those DSMs and you won't have to deal with tranny problems -- I hear they are like a glass jawed boxer.

Quick Reply: One side getting hot on TT setup?