Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best street car build ever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 401 Likes on 293 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here is my slow junk. It’s not fast, but you don’t see hundreds of them at the track either which is something I wanted.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I don’t look down on anyone at the track sbe or otherwise. I’ve had built motors in the past and sbe now. When Fox bodies with junk yard motors first became a thing I thought it was cool, but now there are so many out there I’m over it. Winning is winning and I mostly see junk yard guys talking trash about guys with nice stuff not the other way around especially on this site.

It takes a hell of a lot to run 8’s in a gto while it would be much easier in a fox body it’s not what I’m interested in. I’ve set a goal of 9.5 driven to and from the track full weight gto. We’ll see if a forged ls2 and a maxed D1x will do it eventually or else I’ll go to an F1a-94 if need be.
Wasn't talking about you looking down on anyone, that was for others. But I agree with the rest for the most part. Some guys build a new setup with a SBE because they spent so much elsewhere and just want something to run around on until they finish a built engine, others take it as a tuning challenge, and others just want that SBE record, just depends. I agree there is a ton of them out there now and I often see them blown up by people getting greedy, there comes a point where you just have to spend the duckets and get a built engine. I don't really care as long as you're having fun with whatever you build. The diversity is what makes things interesting, everyone has a different idea of what fits them and their needs.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Not exactly sure what you don't like about me, nor do I really care. But if you are going to spew nonsense at least back it up with facts. So what exactly is hack about what I build and what the heck isn't streetable about it? I don't think you actually have any idea about what vehicles I own or have built. To further backup that you have no clue what you are talking about, I have the same car he does it just happens to still be a perfectly streetable manual trans, full exhaust, AC, twin turbo vs an auto drag race oriented build. But you deem yourself to be quite an expert so I'm sure you will enlighten me with tons of facts about my own life.
Because you post the dumbest most misleading crap on this section

Yes please post that masterpiece

And I guarantee your super duper street car is slow as dogshit on the highway
Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM
7 Second Club

Received 331 Likes on 222 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I agree a manual is harder to race in every regard, some people like that challenge and keeps them engaged. Autos are great for going fast and getting the most out of a setup, but they come with their own problems and limitations. To each their own, but back to the original topic... best street car ever in my opinion is not a glide swapped vette and in your own words it seems that you agree.
I built my C6 Z06 to be the best street car that fit MY criteria and my budget and I feel like I'm on the right track with it. My criteria was something that is comfortable to drive, can still handle well not just for straight line, has full interior, air conditioning, exhaust out the rear so I'm not breathing fumes, can fill up at the pump with 91 oct or ethanol on the fly, and stays cool on long drives yet can crack off off a high 7/low 8 at the drag strip. So far I've hit all of my goals and still working on the ET part of it but should be there next time out with the converter adjustment. A manual transmission has nothing to do with my criteria and really has no place at all with my goals. I guess if I had to pick a car that was my definition of a perfect balance of everything in a complete package for a street car it would be the 2019 ZR1, but obviously that isn't going to compare to the brute power of my C6 Z06.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Wasn't talking about you looking down on anyone, that was for others. But I agree with the rest for the most part. Some guys build a new setup with a SBE because they spent so much elsewhere and just want something to run around on until they finish a built engine, others take it as a tuning challenge, and others just want that SBE record, just depends. I agree there is a ton of them out there now and I often see them blown up by people getting greedy, there comes a point where you just have to spend the duckets and get a built engine. I don't really care as long as you're having fun with whatever you build. The diversity is what makes things interesting, everyone has a different idea of what fits them and their needs.
That all makes sense and believe me I know all about being on a budget. I used to believe in buying the best heads you can afford. This time around I’m going to go with a forged ls2 with k1 and wiseco stuff in it. I’ll buy it not build it and then put my current ls1 top end and a custom cam in it then just see how much boost it takes to reach my goals. I’ll stick with my built 4l60e as long as I can then go to a 80e if I have to.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 PM
7 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't think you actually have any idea about what vehicles I own or have built. To further backup that you have no clue what you are talking about, I have the same car he does it just happens to still be a perfectly streetable manual trans, full exhaust, AC, twin turbo vs an auto drag race oriented build.
Post it up.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by NicD
I built my C6 Z06 to be the best street car that fit MY criteria and my budget and I feel like I'm on the right track with it. My criteria was something that is comfortable to drive, can still handle well not just for straight line, has full interior, air conditioning, exhaust out the rear so I'm not breathing fumes, can fill up at the pump with 91 oct or ethanol on the fly, and stays cool on long drives yet can crack off off a high 7/low 8 at the drag strip. So far I've hit all of my goals and still working on the ET part of it but should be there next time out with the converter adjustment. A manual transmission has nothing to do with my criteria and really has no place at all with my goals. I guess if I had to pick a car that was my definition of a perfect balance of everything in a complete package for a street car it would be the 2019 ZR1, but obviously that isn't going to compare to the brute power of my C6 Z06.
Im a fan of your builds. I think you tuned a ‘19 ZR1. Can you share what a tune on one of those costs? Not that I can afford one just curious.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
7 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Im a fan of your builds. I think you tuned a ‘19 ZR1. Can you share what a tune on one of those costs? Not that I can afford one just curious.
Well it really varies depending on what you are doing and if you can get away without tuning the TCM but I would budget between $4200 and $5200. Not cheap and still missing a lot of tables that we could really use but it works.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well it really varies depending on what you are doing and if you can get away without tuning the TCM but I would budget between $4200 and $5200. Not cheap and still missing a lot of tables that we could really use but it works.
It's $4-5k for a tune? What's a license cost for the new platform and how long does it typically take to tune one?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually being one of those "clowns" you so called

you got mad as **** that i mention Leroy and Cleetus.......IIRC OH WHY THE HELL YOU COMPARING ANOTHER CAR TO MINE BLAH BLAH BLAH..

like chill bro i just made a comment....never meant to pissed you off to the point to delete just thought it was a simple comment. **** even said you got hella good parts and you still got mad? for what? no reason.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 PM
7 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
It's $4-5k for a tune? What's a license cost for the new platform and how long does it typically take to tune one?
Well the ECM is either $2000 to have your stock one modified or $2500 to get a new one, most just get a new one. Then you have to buy credits to tune it, 10 for the ECM and 3 for the FICM at a minimum. Doesn't take me any longer to tune the ZR1 than the Z06/ZL1/V3 now that I have done one and seen what tables do what, etc. A simple bolt on ZR1 would only take me a couple of hours to complete, longer if heads/cam. If you have an auto then the TCM needs to be sent out to get unlocked or just get a new one of those and then it's another 4 credits and time.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:04 PM
7 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by panda240ss
Actually being one of those "clowns" you so called
you got mad as **** that i mention Leroy and Cleetus.......IIRC OH WHY THE HELL YOU COMPARING ANOTHER CAR TO MINE BLAH BLAH BLAH..
I'm friends with Garrett and visit with him down at the shop or at the track when they come to town. It had nothing to do with anybody comparing my car to his, they are just two very different cars built with different things in mind. I called you a clown along with the other junkyard warriors because of the stupid comments being made in my build thread, period.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

I'm friends with Garrett and visit with him down at the shop or at the track when they come to town. It had nothing to do with anybody comparing my car to his, they are just two very different cars built with different things in mind. I called you a clown along with the other junkyard warriors because of the stupid comments being made in my build thread, period.
but im not a clown. how dare you! youre not my dad!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well the ECM is either $2000 to have your stock one modified or $2500 to get a new one, most just get a new one. Then you have to buy credits to tune it, 10 for the ECM and 3 for the FICM at a minimum. Doesn't take me any longer to tune the ZR1 than the Z06/ZL1/V3 now that I have done one and seen what tables do what, etc. A simple bolt on ZR1 would only take me a couple of hours to complete, longer if heads/cam. If you have an auto then the TCM needs to be sent out to get unlocked or just get a new one of those and then it's another 4 credits and time.
Dang, did not realize it was that involved (swapping ECM) and so many credits.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Because you post the dumbest most misleading crap on this section

Yes please post that masterpiece

And I guarantee your super duper street car is slow as dogshit on the highway
LOL Just because you post textbook answers and I post what I’ve actually done you get all butthurt. I always run into people like you on the internet that say something won’t work but ends up working just fine in real life.

I’m perfectly fine with being slow as dogshit, it’s 10x more fun to drive then most cars and I’m not trying to prove anything to anyone. Could run 13’s for all I care its manual, lightweight, and its fun to drive which are my requirements for a street car.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

LOL Just because you post textbook answers and I post what I’ve actually done you get all butthurt. I always run into people like you on the internet that say something won’t work but ends up working just fine in real life.

I’m perfectly fine with being slow as dogshit, it’s 10x more fun to drive then most cars and I’m not trying to prove anything to anyone. Could run 13’s for all I care its manual, lightweight, and its fun to drive which are my requirements for a street car.
People take the internet too serious....

its the internet not a d*** dont take it so hard.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
8 Second Club

Good on ya, long as it meets your goals and you have fun with it is what counts. Different strokes for different folks!

If budget is no option to pick a perfect stock street car then its hard to beat the McLarens. They are quick, handle well and gain a good bit from tune alone. Odd world we live in that its about the same price to tune a McLaren as a Corvette.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by panda240ss
People take the internet too serious....

its the internet not a d*** dont take it so hard.
I’m just here because I’m bored at work. I could honestly give a **** less what anyone on the internet says. I agree that a lot of people, especially younger ones really take e-words to heart. But when you meet people in real life its funny how much less smartass **** they have to say. Sometimes you hand them a beer, chat a bit and realize things come across different in real life vs the internet.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

I’m just here because I’m bored at work. I could honestly give a **** less what anyone on the internet says. I agree that a lot of people, especially younger ones really take e-words to heart. But when you meet people in real life its funny how much less smartass **** they have to say. Sometimes you hand them a beer, chat a bit and realize things come across different in real life vs the internet.
beeen there done that and ya same here i do it for the ***** and giggles
Old 05-29-2019, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Amazing cars while that is a little more than I expected I knew it would be crazy expensive to tune one. So now we know that bolt ons and a tune for a '19 zr1 cost as much as a procharger kit for the rest of us poor folks. In all seriousness though the '19 zr1 with just bolt ons and a tune is a serious machine.

Basically I think all of us are pretty close on what we consider a true street car with some minor differences of opinion here and there.

We have all agreed on...

Current license registration...full exhaust out the rear with some kind of muffler...DOT tires...pump gas, ethanol, and or meth/water injection (no race gas or methanol as a primary fuel)...working lights/signals...alternator...water pump...the ability to go on reasonably long drives and stop and go traffic without issues.

Can we agree on those things? Then we feel AC, heat, power steering, etc are optional items.

I would add that racing seats are ok, but otherwise full interior. Roll bars and other safety equipment to be able to run the car the times/speeds it's capable of would also be ok as long as there weren't other compromises made to sacrifice what has already been discussed for a street car. Roll bar must maintain full interior etc.