Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need advice on a good 'fun now boost later' motor build

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020 | 10:43 PM
Launching!

I can't vouch for him personally, but Pat G Tuning in Victoria has a good reputation (and he's an admin on here).
Old 03-28-2020 | 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I took it out to the exhaust shop today to fix the exhaust rattles.

It ran alittle better today than yesterday.

I think the main problem is the shift points are seemingly way off. If I shift manually from 2nd D and OD it drives like a absolute beast... but if I just leave in OD its shifting gets very very sketchy. It just seems to want to shift too soon even when I punch it. If I nail it doing 55 - 60 it wont even drop 4th.

They did tell me they tuned it and adjusted the shift points as well. This car seems to have 3.23's and they said it didnt really have enough transmission (I'm guessing this is the reasoning they seemed to make it shift early)

I'm definitely ganna have to get that corrected though, it doesnt downshift at all when I need to... but shifting manually... wow... it's a beast.
Old 03-28-2020 | 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I chose the builder, they're only supplying the labor, but yeah. I'm going to have them tear it down and check clearances. Builder already knows about the cam so if anything is wrong I pretty much have no warranty on it. Hoping its nothing serious.
What did they find on tear down? Did you get a build/spec sheet of clearances? You mentioned they tuned trans tables. If you trust them, give them a call, let em know what's up and take em for a ride to demonstrate your complaint. They can log details and make adjustments.
Old 03-28-2020 | 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
What did they find on tear down? Did you get a build/spec sheet of clearances? You mentioned they tuned trans tables. If you trust them, give them a call, let em know what's up and take em for a ride to demonstrate your complaint. They can log details and make adjustments.
I will. These are videos of what its doing on various WOT pulls. The first video it seemed like it did what it should (I let off early). The second video is what I'm worried about.

I'm taking it back to them after I put a few miles on it. They're willing to work with me on the tune but I still kinda want a second tuner opinion just incase.
Old 03-28-2020 | 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Drove it around alittle more today.

Like I said before I never drove a cammed / stalled car but its seeming very street unfriendly. It idles at 1.5k rpms after warmed up, wont do less than 45 MPH with the foot off the accelerator as the idle is nearly 2 grand just cruising with no foot on the gas pedal. I'm really wondering if they tuned this thing at all.

On the highway just cruising it's okay but on the street is almost dangerous. I have to ride the brake in 25 - 35 and even 45 zones and can just let it coast at 55.

I'll post a video of what I mean but I really dont think they tuned it properly.
Old 03-29-2020 | 08:12 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Drove it around alittle more today.

Like I said before I never drove a cammed / stalled car but its seeming very street unfriendly. It idles at 1.5k rpms after warmed up, wont do less than 45 MPH with the foot off the accelerator as the idle is nearly 2 grand just cruising with no foot on the gas pedal. I'm really wondering if they tuned this thing at all.

On the highway just cruising it's okay but on the street is almost dangerous. I have to ride the brake in 25 - 35 and even 45 zones and can just let it coast at 55.

I'll post a video of what I mean but I really dont think they tuned it properly.
Sounds like a TERRIBLE tuner. The car should not act like that at all. It sounds like they just dumped in a bunch of idle airflow to keep the thing running and called it good.
Old 03-29-2020 | 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Sounds like a TERRIBLE tuner. The car should not act like that at all. It sounds like they just dumped in a bunch of idle airflow to keep the thing running and called it good.
Yeah I put it down until I can get someone else to look at the tune. I'm honestly kind of baffled because they've done plenty of these cars before and have good reviews. I cant see them getting away with this level of drivability... Its almost feeling like they sabotaged it in some way, maybe hoping I would blow it and come back for another motor. Not sure if I'm going to go back to have them tune it. I really want to have someone else look at it. Not sure who though.

I live pretty close to Texas Speed and can probably pick up an HPTuners (assuming they're open given the Covid-19 shutdown) and get a mail order tune. Does that sound like a good idea at this point or should I have someone else look at it?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-29-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2020 | 10:46 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

If you paid for a tune I'd go back with a list of issues and give them a chance to fix it. For all you know you've got a vacuum leak that's also making things worse. If they can't get the drivability right then I'd ask for some cash back and go elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2020 | 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

So they also tuned out the knock sensors and didn't install them. I'm extremely leery about having them do any further work.
Old 03-29-2020 | 06:14 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

This place a sponsor or just some shop local?
Old 03-29-2020 | 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

This place a sponsor or just some shop local?
Its not a sponsor I dont think but they only deal with LS stuff which is why I trusted them.

They had good reviews and when I went there they had a bunch of LS projects going on. I cant see them releasing this kind of work and getting away with it unless they did this to me intentionally.
Old 03-29-2020 | 07:01 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

It's possible it was an honest mistake or a vacuum leak or something formed after you left. Take it back and explain the issues and see what they say and go from there.
Old 03-30-2020 | 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Took some videos while driving to the shop.

Both of them, my foot was completely off the accelerator.

Also is it normal for the TC to be unlocked while my foot was off the gas but locking up when I mildly tap the gas?

I'm at the shop now. Going to give them a ride in it. We'll see what they say.

Edit 1: So I'm there now. They said they had to modified the throttle cable to get the new TB on there and that its probably never seeing WOT because my carpet is blocking the pedal... that makes no sense at all. how off could it really be? If I have to nail the pedal to the floor just to get it to downshift from 4th to 3rd the few mm's or carpet couldn't possibly be enough to go WOT. 4th to 3rd should happen around half gas, if not less...

Edit 2: The TPS sensor is bad. They're ordering a new one.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-30-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2020 | 01:49 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

If you weren't actually going WOT and they adjusted the throttle cable....then how exactly did they tune for WOT? LOL And no, the torque converter should be LOCKED while cruising and UNLOCK when you give it gas, not the other way around. I'm wondering if they cracked your throttle blade to keep it idling and they went overboard which is why youre on autopilot while cruising no throttle. Either that or they just jacked up the tune.
Old 03-30-2020 | 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

If you weren't actually going WOT and they adjusted the throttle cable....then how exactly did they tune for WOT? LOL And no, the torque converter should be LOCKED while cruising and UNLOCK when you give it gas, not the other way around. I'm wondering if they cracked your throttle blade to keep it idling and they went overboard which is why youre on autopilot while cruising no throttle. Either that or they just jacked up the tune.
Can the TPS cause this at all? I dont see how it could cause the high idle while cruising.
Old 03-30-2020 | 03:25 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Can the TPS cause this at all? I dont see how it could cause the high idle while cruising.
Not likely. If anything they may have turned off some codes for the TPS that normally would have tripped because the cars throttling itself lol. What did the shop say?
Old 03-30-2020 | 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Not likely. If anything they may have turned off some codes for the TPS that normally would have tripped because the cars throttling itself lol. What did the shop say?
They're saying the TPS tripped a code. I didnt get an SES either.. They're going to replace it and also check the tune.
Old 03-30-2020 | 03:38 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

They're saying the TPS tripped a code. I didnt get an SES either.. They're going to replace it and also check the tune.
Post an update once they replace it and "check the tune".
Old 03-30-2020 | 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Post an update once they replace it and "check the tune".
TPS replaced. It looks like they adjusted the throttle cable too. Its idling much much better now and it isnt coasting at 45 - 55 MPH. It down shifts as well, although it still seems like I have to put my foot into it to make that happen but it is a bit better than it was. I'm ganna make videos and WOT pulls to get opinions. I couldn't drive it too hard because it's raining out here...It actually does seem to be doing better in the rain than my 6th gen SS does. I think I still have to get used to the stall.

Ganna make videos soon.
Old 03-30-2020 | 05:14 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Sounds like progress. Kickdown and shifting in a stalled cammed car is really to taste so not surprised it isn't exactly how you'd like it but sounds like it's much improved.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a good 'fun now boost later' motor build