Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need advice on a good 'fun now boost later' motor build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020 | 03:13 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

WTH is wrong with them.....Get that $$$ back.
Old 04-02-2020 | 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
WTH is wrong with them.....Get that $$$ back.
Definitely going to. I'm pretty ticked off. They left it untuned and told me they tuned it. I have no idea what their intentions were but they either didnt give a flying F about the car or they intended to let me detonate it and hope I would come groveling to their feet for another LS3.

To make matters worse, the throttle cable is discontinued (as I expected). I'm going to try to adjust the stock one at home where I wont get stuck if the adjuster breaks ... fortunately I have a PLX device which can also tell me if its seeing 100% throttle.. Hopefully this helps. If not I may have to forgo the factory TCS / Cruise control system.
Old 04-02-2020 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Not having a good day.

On my way back a truck came over on me and I had to take alittle bit of gravel. Nothing major happened as I initially didnt think it did anything but I got home to find I scuffed up my lower ground effect, has to be repainted. pretty pissed.

Anyway I'm messing with the throttle cable / throttle body now.
This is a Speed Engineering 92 MM Throttle Body.
I'm running into problems... The shop probably also saw these problems which is why they didn't tune it and probably tried to hide it from me by tuning out the TPS so it wouldn't throw a code.
The cable isnt opening the blade more than 75%.
I adjusted the cable and pulled it out and 75% is as much as I can get. Pushing it in and it will go as low as 55 - 60%.
I also tried adjusting the bracket holding the cable but if I put it too far back then it will always be pulling on the throttle blade, keeping it open. If I take it off the bracket and pull it farther back, it will keep the blade open by 15 - 18% but will go 100% throttle, but I can't adjust the blade screw enough to compensate for the 15 - 18%.

Any idea whats wrong? I know they adjusted the cable but I don't think they could have shortned it... ...could they have?

---

Anyway...this is what the shop said...

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2020 | 07:05 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Need pics to really get what's going on as far as the cable being too short.
Old 04-02-2020 | 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Need pics to really get what's going on as far as the cable being too short.

Old 04-02-2020 | 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like pedal travel is not sufficient for throttle body lever travel.
Old 04-02-2020 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
Sounds like pedal travel is not sufficient for throttle body lever travel.
Basically.. ..what can be done though?

Also I noticed someone seemingly had a similar issue here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...able-woes.html
What do you feel of that?
Old 04-02-2020 | 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I've got good news.

So I removed the Throttle Body and followed this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...able-woes.html -- and removed the secondary spring tensioner. It seems as though the extra tension causes problems with TCS system and doesnt allow the cable to fully tension at WOT.

with the secondary spring tensioner removed, the TB is much easier to move. Pedal fully depressed and the blade fully opens.

I'm now seeing 100% throttle pedal fully depressed.

That shop needs to pay me for this.
I'm going to LSX Powertuning to get it tuned tomorrow.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-02-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2020 | 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

sorry for the troubles you are going through. SWG is notorious around the area for doing shoddy work and sketchy tunes. A buddy of mine just had his car retuned after swearing by SWG and found out that he had 31 degrees of timing in his tune. It was knocking it *** off and running e85.

the best thing you can do is go to someone else. I recommend Aikman Performance and Tuning up in Cedar Park. I'm sure they will be able to get you running right.
Old 04-03-2020 | 06:04 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Good find on the spring!
Old 04-03-2020 | 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jayyyw
sorry for the troubles you are going through. SWG is notorious around the area for doing shoddy work and sketchy tunes. A buddy of mine just had his car retuned after swearing by SWG and found out that he had 31 degrees of timing in his tune. It was knocking it *** off and running e85.

the best thing you can do is go to someone else. I recommend Aikman Performance and Tuning up in Cedar Park. I'm sure they will be able to get you running right.
I actually live very close to Aikman, problem is they're booked through Spring.

Any idea as to what the deal is with SWG and what they were trying to get away with? I'm a bit irritated with them. They didn't install my valve covers because they said they leaked and didnt seat right (I'm beginning to believe it wasnt the valve covers but it was them).
Old 04-03-2020 | 09:13 AM
9 Second Club

Removing a spring to close the throttle doesnt really strike me as a sensible thing to do.

If a TB has been supplied where it will not open fully as installed as per instructions, send it back and get your money back
Old 04-03-2020 | 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is double spring tension crazy stiff? How does single spring compare to stock TB? I doubt spring pressure stretched cable. I suspect a cable mount was flexing. or maybe pedal arm? Cable sleeve collapsing? Talk to TB supplier to get their insight on running with 1 spring.
Old 04-03-2020 | 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

Is double spring tension crazy stiff? How does single spring compare to stock TB? I doubt spring pressure stretched cable. I suspect a cable mount was flexing. or maybe pedal arm? Cable sleeve collapsing? Talk to TB supplier to get their insight on running with 1 spring.
As this seems to be a swap application ? Likely the pedal setup is just wrong for the combo. ( or maybe cable length is not suitable too....should be easy to see though )

Although the other side of the world, it took me a lot of work to get an acceptable pedal vs blade combo. The cam on the factory TB just required a huge amount of travel vs what my pedal was setup for.. So had to rework both the camwheel, and the pedal itself. Had a custom cable made locally to suit.

Then about 3 years ago, threw it all in the bin and went DBW instead. Much better easier.
Old 04-03-2020 | 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

The double spring actually is kind of stiff and fairly difficult to move by hand. The single spring feels slightly, just slightly weaker than stock.
I already ran it by the supplier, they aren't willing to return it and suspect its the car.
Problem is, with the double spring - when loaded on the throttle cable, the TCS module near the battery seems not to like the additional tension and it causes the throttle cable to sieze, not allowing it to fully extend to 100% throttle, suspending it at 75% throttle. The cable is long enough, but the TCS module is locking the throttle cable before it ever reaches 100% throttle while the extra tension is loaded. The spring doesn't change the travel length, just how difficult it is to open and close the blade. With the tension removed the TCS module seems to act appropiately.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2020 | 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I actually live very close to Aikman, problem is they're booked through Spring.

Any idea as to what the deal is with SWG and what they were trying to get away with? I'm a bit irritated with them. They didn't install my valve covers because they said they leaked and didnt seat right (I'm beginning to believe it wasnt the valve covers but it was them).
Just the reputation he has earned in the area. Surprised TSP has teamed up with him, honestly.
Old 04-04-2020 | 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Sounds like a poorly made tb. Get your money back and get a nick Williams
Old 04-04-2020 | 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The double spring actually is kind of stiff and fairly difficult to move by hand. The single spring feels slightly, just slightly weaker than stock.
I already ran it by the supplier, they aren't willing to return it and suspect its the car.
Problem is, with the double spring - when loaded on the throttle cable, the TCS module near the battery seems not to like the additional tension and it causes the throttle cable to sieze, not allowing it to fully extend to 100% throttle, suspending it at 75% throttle. The cable is long enough, but the TCS module is locking the throttle cable before it ever reaches 100% throttle while the extra tension is loaded. The spring doesn't change the travel length, just how difficult it is to open and close the blade. With the tension removed the TCS module seems to act appropiately.
After watching the video link you posted, I understand the TCS system and the heavy springed TB overpowering the TCS spring. I assume the TCS system works well and you'd don't want to mod it
Old 04-04-2020 | 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

After watching the video link you posted, I understand the TCS system and the heavy springed TB overpowering the TCS spring. I assume the TCS system works well and you'd don't want to mod it
Yeah I'm trying not to. Even untuned and poor shifting, after it flashes beyond 3 grand and the locks up it can surprise you and snap sideways without warning at lower speeds. I'd imagine it would be more difficult after tuned.

After more thinking, I probably am going to go ahead and get a Nick William's or FAST 92. Speed Engineering doesnt want to return this TB however. I'm still haggling with them.
Old 04-04-2020 | 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Yeah I'm trying not to. Even untuned and poor shifting, after it flashes beyond 3 grand and the locks up it can surprise you and snap sideways without warning at lower speeds. I'd imagine it would be more difficult after tuned.

After more thinking, I probably am going to go ahead and get a Nick William's or FAST 92. Speed Engineering doesnt want to return this TB however. I'm still haggling with them.
My tuner recommends the NW over the fast. The fast had idle problems and you need to drill the holes out to get it to idle right. Nick Williams works out the box. Adjust set screw (bring the Allen with you) when you bring it in to tune.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a good 'fun now boost later' motor build