Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single turbo LS vs 605ci big block for drag car ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single turbo LS vs 605ci big block for drag car ?

Hey guys

i'm quite a newbie to the LS world but not new to cars or drag racing at all. I've had blown Alky motors, Nitrous motors small blocks big blocks ect and I drive a daily 2000 SS camaro. But its bone stock apart from those famous "free mods" so i wouldnt class that as ever being modified at all so my LS familiarity is pretty slim

but anyways
we race a super comp dragster with a 1096hp NA 605ci big block chevy all dart block brodix heads ect .. like a full on race motor ... but we've now got the dragster up for sale as we've now bought a roller 10.5 radial foxbody mustang tagged to 6.50 as our new setup with a 2 speed glide

we've got the dragster for sale complete. However we've had a few guys interested in buying our dragster as a roller and some wanting the motor So my question is really what direction would people suggest we take this car ... as we would love to have the fox as a turbo LS car. For the reason being the not so aggressive hit trans brake launches the BB is setup for 1.06 60 ft's" and the added weight that brings also. As our focus on this new car is to keep it light as possible and have quite a soft launch off the line and bring the power in a little further down the track and really focus on reliability and longevity of parts over having the most hp we can afford to build

we arent looking for a budget junkyard motor that would eat itself after a few passes either and with all things considered. At a guess We would have a reasonable budget of around $20k for the motor and fuel system alone the car is already bought and paid for

Would you say this is quite possible to build a 1000+hp turbo motor for the budget and it to have reliability aswell? I know people can get those kinds of numbers bolting a turbo onto a fairly standard motor and turning the boost way up ! But we want this To be a setup that'll last a few years without putting unnessecary strain on everything. Or are we better off just sticking with the BBC as we would spending a lot more money for a lot less of a engine ?

And if its definetly better to go the turbo route. What kind of setups would people suggest ? Blow through carb ? FI ? Stock block ? We've got a total clean slate to put a plan together here

Thanks for reading guys ! I hope some of you could give me some advice
Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallpaul640
Hey guys

i'm quite a newbie to the LS world but not new to cars or drag racing at all. I've had blown Alky motors, Nitrous motors small blocks big blocks ect and I drive a daily 2000 SS camaro. But its bone stock apart from those famous "free mods" so i wouldnt class that as ever being modified at all so my LS familiarity is pretty slim

but anyways
we race a super comp dragster with a 1096hp NA 605ci big block chevy all dart block brodix heads ect .. like a full on race motor ... but we've now got the dragster up for sale as we've now bought a roller 10.5 radial foxbody mustang tagged to 6.50 as our new setup with a 2 speed glide

we've got the dragster for sale complete. However we've had a few guys interested in buying our dragster as a roller and some wanting the motor So my question is really what direction would people suggest we take this car ... as we would love to have the fox as a turbo LS car. For the reason being the not so aggressive hit trans brake launches the BB is setup for 1.06 60 ft's" and the added weight that brings also. As our focus on this new car is to keep it light as possible and have quite a soft launch off the line and bring the power in a little further down the track and really focus on reliability and longevity of parts over having the most hp we can afford to build

we arent looking for a budget junkyard motor that would eat itself after a few passes either and with all things considered. At a guess We would have a reasonable budget of around $20k for the motor and fuel system alone the car is already bought and paid for

Would you say this is quite possible to build a 1000+hp turbo motor for the budget and it to have reliability aswell? I know people can get those kinds of numbers bolting a turbo onto a fairly standard motor and turning the boost way up ! But we want this To be a setup that'll last a few years without putting unnessecary strain on everything. Or are we better off just sticking with the BBC as we would spending a lot more money for a lot less of a engine ?

And if its definetly better to go the turbo route. What kind of setups would people suggest ? Blow through carb ? FI ? Stock block ? We've got a total clean slate to put a plan together here

Thanks for reading guys ! I hope some of you could give me some advice
Those are tame numbers you are looking to attain. Do a forged 6.0 stock block, something like an 88/91 precision.... and you will FAR surpass that 605CI BBC. It looks as if you are talking about crank numbers, just guessing though. But yea, ditch the big inch and go LS.
My car makes nearly 1k at the crank, smooth idle, and is dead reliable. You are nearly guaranteed to have more maintenance cost in that BBC, as you are likely leaning on it pretty hard, and probably on a ragged edge tune. The point is, its just easier with a boosted LS.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Didn't see race weight target or rpm limit, trans choice etc.....but 20k and 1000hp is easy peasy. You don't want to do a junkyard setup, but could rebuild a 4.8 or 5.3 based iron block with good guts for less than $5k easy that'll hold 1200whp easy, probably significantly more. A properly sized turbo for your goals would also allow you to feed the power in down track and do boost by gear. This setup would be easy on parts and you could still shift at 7500 rpms if desired and you did a good valve train on it.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Didn't see race weight target or rpm limit, trans choice etc.....but 20k and 1000hp is easy peasy. You don't want to do a junkyard setup, but could rebuild a 4.8 or 5.3 based iron block with good guts for less than $5k easy that'll hold 1200whp easy, probably significantly more. A properly sized turbo for your goals would also allow you to feed the power in down track and do boost by gear. This setup would be easy on parts and you could still shift at 7500 rpms if desired and you did a good valve train on it.
Cheers for replying mate !

We're gonna be using a hughes powerglide. I think its rated to about 2000hp. So should be more than enough for any setup we would use ! I think the car sits roughly at about 1400lb at the moment. But thats as it sits as a roller Plus it'll be a 100% strip only car so things wouldnt need to be street able so i can keep weight down there too

i only dont want to do a junkyard setup purley for the fact i'm from the UK so would need to ship anything overseas. So ideally buy something once and make it last thats kinda ready built for the job

off the top of my head i cant think what the rear gears are at the moment. But i know its geared pretty high and we would ideally wanna shift under 8000 for sure !
Old 06-29-2019, 05:42 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sounds like you got a you have a stout setup and should be able to hit your goal easily.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Sounds like you got a you have a stout setup and should be able to hit your goal easily.
Cheers man !
Okay so just for example so i have a ballpark to look into ,
If you was in my position What kind of "recipie" would you reccomend i look at for the kind of goals i'm looking for ? The dragster used to run around 7.30's full 1/4 .. so i'd ideally hoping to break into the 7's with the foxbody. the car itself managed to run 7.80's with a 930hp NA small block. So i'm confident with the hp at 1000 its a reachable number should make a pretty fun to drive car As the only thing we would be changing is the engine alone
Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'd go forged 5.3, get Cam Motion to spec a custom cam. Keep the compression ratio in the mid 9:1 range. Bigger head studs. Something like a GT88 turbo. Biggest downpipe you can fit. Run E85 or good race gas. Plan on either a Holly or other aftermarket ECU to control everything like the 2 step and boost by gear.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Teching In

I'd go forged 5.3, get Cam Motion to spec a custom cam. Keep the compression ratio in the mid 9:1 range. Bigger head studs. Something like a GT88 turbo. Biggest downpipe you can fit. Run E85 or good race gas. Plan on either a Holly or other aftermarket ECU to control everything like the 2 step and boost by gear.
Thats brilliant ! Thanks loads for that advice ! I'll definelty look into that for sure How much ecu stuff would you say i would need to buy to make it run ? I guess i could get away with quite a light loom ?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tallpaul640
Thats brilliant ! Thanks loads for that advice ! I'll definelty look into that for sure How much ecu stuff would you say i would need to buy to make it run ? I guess i could get away with quite a light loom ?
Take a look at the Holly stuff that's real big right now. Pretty small about of stuff to make it work.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 281 Likes on 195 Posts

Not gonna lie I absolutely love ls based engines but. You already have a stout big block at your disposal. Have you thought about just changing the Pistons/cam/and stud heads/mains.then do a nice clean turbo/injection set up on that. Then sell off all used n/a parts to offset cost. Again not debating either choice. But how could you go wrong with that combination...... You already own a nice big block....
Old 06-29-2019, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

With that budget, and the build you’re doing I would be looking to do a forged 370 from a 6.0 block, probably have a turbo specd for the build from forced inductions, and Holley for the ecu or haltec maybe, are you allowed traction control? That budget opens up many different ways to get to your goal.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

OP just curious to know, when you import car parts from USA into the UK, do you pay any taxes other than the shipping and whatever the exchange rate works out to?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What fuel are you planning to use?

If you’re on M1, no need for an inter cooler, so that’ll save some weight.

Like others have said, something under 400ci with an 88 turbo from your favorite seller will easily provide the power and ET you’re looking for.
Holly Dominator will be able to control pretty much anything you’re looking to do.

I’d start with an LSX block and make the tried and true 388” with your choice of heads.

Best of success.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 281 Likes on 195 Posts

Still can't help but to think what a 605 with the right set up could do . Big single turbo/20+ psi and a proper compression/lower end. 1400+ hp is my guess....
Old 07-07-2019, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on if he grudges or not fellas. Grudge racing...Detune the big block and plate it...hands down. Just looking for horsepower and bracket or ruled runs, then turbo LS. 1/8 mile grudges? Big Block. Either way, this isn't the place to ask about legit drag racing setups.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by WTF?
....Either way, this isn't the place to ask about legit drag racing setups.
Weird, considering there are several people on here who class race....and many more who grudge race.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WTF?
Depends on if he grudges or not fellas. Grudge racing...Detune the big block and plate it...hands down. Just looking for horsepower and bracket or ruled runs, then turbo LS. 1/8 mile grudges? Big Block. Either way, this isn't the place to ask about legit drag racing setups.

And besides ? It wasnt like i was even asking for a setup anyway ? I was simply asking if i was better off using my BBC or switching to a LS. And i just happened to mention the purpose the car would be used for .. so as this is a LS performance forum. It seemed a good place to ask the question
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Launch
OP just curious to know, when you import car parts from USA into the UK, do you pay any taxes other than the shipping and whatever the exchange rate works out to?

Sadly yeah we do pay quite a bit. We have to pay for the item and shipping. Then there's a import duty that is the % of the item your buying. And then we have to pay tax on a % of the whole deal "shipping item and customs".

So it does add up quite a lot on high price items sadly
Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,229 Likes on 784 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Forged rods/piston 5.3/6.0
Johnson Lifters
TFS 220 heads
Holley Hi Ram
Holley Dominator EFI system
Cam from Lil John Motorsports
88mm turbo from Lil John Motorsports
Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Forged rods/piston 5.3/6.0
Johnson Lifters
TFS 220 heads
Holley Hi Ram
Holley Dominator EFI system
Cam from Lil John Motorsports
88mm turbo from Lil John Motorsports
That simple list says it all. (why it's dumb not to go turbo LS)