Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Adding auxiliary radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding auxiliary radiator?

So out of curiosity, has anyone ever looked at using the heater core circuit as a means of adding a secondary radiator (think heat exchanger sizing)?

My e85/procharger setup has an issue with heat creeping up and radiator size is somewhat limited. I'm going to try and ensure air isn't flowing around the Griffin that is in it now, but I don't think it has enough radiator capacity in it to truly control the heat the engine generates.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvrfsh
So out of curiosity, has anyone ever looked at using the heater core circuit as a means of adding a secondary radiator (think heat exchanger sizing)?

My e85/procharger setup has an issue with heat creeping up and radiator size is somewhat limited. I'm going to try and ensure air isn't flowing around the Griffin that is in it now, but I don't think it has enough radiator capacity in it to truly control the heat the engine generates.

I assume you will have it somewhere in the air stream?
Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 710 Likes on 369 Posts

This is my next step if shrouding off my front end doesn't help much. I've spoken to a few people that have done it on a C6 vette (my chassis). They are doing it like you have stated, using the heater core outlet/inlet.

This is most likely the one I will be using: http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-...or-p-1002.html
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by coltboostin
I assume you will have it somewhere in the air stream?
Yes; or if not fabbing some ducting and/or fans and remote mount it somewhere.

​​​​​

Originally Posted by jayyyw
This is my next step if shrouding off my front end doesn't help much. I've spoken to a few people that have done it on a C6 vette (my chassis). They are doing it like you have stated, using the heater core outlet/inlet.

This is most likely the one I will be using: http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-...or-p-1002.html
Nice. Do you have any feedback on how effective it was? I haven't been able to get a solid answer on how much flow comes out of those ports.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 710 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvrfsh
Nice. Do you have any feedback on how effective it was? I haven't been able to get a solid answer on how much flow comes out of those ports.
The people I've spoken to about it have all said it worked and dropped their coolant temps 15-20 degrees.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be easier to run extra fans I.E. two 12" pusher fans in addition to the current pullers.
I had the same issue ( some do .. some don't). I was one of the lucky ones. My 16" & 9" Spal fans couldn't keep up. I added two 12" pusher fans & problem solved.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 PM
Teching In

How thick was your primary radiator?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

I had a turbo junkyard panel with a toyota radiator mounted underneath with elec fan. I ran the heater hoses to it. It solved my overheating.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a stock LS1 Fbody radiator. If I'm not mistaken I tried to fit the thicker LT1 in there but ran into issues fitting my F1A & truck hat etc.... I know others have done that and it worked but it wasn't an option for me. I was actually surprised when the pusher fans were installed & it finally cured the problem. Stays cool as a cucumber.

I think Bob mentioned that there are a few people separating their AC condenser from the equation & that lets more air flow freely.

PS: be sure that ALL of the air is out of the system. Use any method of witchcraft to remove it. That was also a problem I faced & thought for sure I was on top of it. It turns out that only after I finally got all the air out the problem lessened quite a bit but wasn't cured.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

In my turbo LS9 RX-7 swap we run a 2nd small radiator out back between the fuel tank and bumper without fans and it does keep things cool..... under 190* in a 90* day racing 1/2 mile events after pulling back into the pits from a completed 195mph+ pass.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
In my turbo LS9 RX-7 swap we run a 2nd small radiator out back between the fuel tank and bumper without fans and it does keep things cool..... under 190* in a 90* day racing 1/2 mile events after pulling back into the pits from a completed 195mph+ pass.
How did you do all the plumbing? Any pics or diagrams?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:36 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump this up to the top. I'm interested to see if anyone had success here. I have issues in my turbo F-body with keeping it cool while running AC. I don't remember having this much problem before the motor rebuild. Looking for cheap easy ways to keep this thing cooler.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Best way is adequate front radiator, and plenty of cold airflow through it.

But if that option is exhausted, then additional radiators are doable if you can install them somewhere and get air through them