Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Let's settle this oil pressure debate.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I look to be on the starter tomorrow, just wanted to leave a couple pics of the setup, as I've gotten many requests for pics in my pm.

Liking what I'm seeing and I want to build a turbo'd LS even more now. Thanks for sharing the eye candy!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

The oil debate will go on forever.
I went with redline because my engine guy who builds stock car motors, and races a stock car had tried many and his bearings look the best with Redline. In fact he will re-use them between builds.
Of course non boosted......I think we really stress this stuff with boost.
We are also saddled with the fact that we don't have the opportunity to put the entire setup on an engine dyno and run the **** out of them and check the parts. We put em in the car and run it, but for us DIY guys, my god it's a huge effort to make say ten passes, or do a bunch of hard street pulls then yank it all apart to "just check" things.
So we soldier on...….

Ron
Old 07-14-2019, 12:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Sorry but those mains are not immaculate

If you where not on the bimetal bearings they would be into copper
Old 07-14-2019, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Good to know, maybe I'll make a change.
If it aint broke don't fix it. I've had the best of luck using a quality diesel 15/40 oil and I use it religiously.

Let's see some of those car oils get a turbocharged 15 litre 2000+ft/lbs b-train cross country carrying 40 tons on a daily basis.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
If it aint broke don't fix it. I've had the best of luck using a quality diesel 15/40 oil and I use it religiously.

Let's see some of those car oils get a turbocharged 15 litre 2000+ft/lbs b-train cross country carrying 40 tons on a daily basis.
I would typically agree, but when someone is actually in the industry, I pay more attention and it sounds like a diesel additive pack could break down whereas a gas pack in a gas engine wouldn't.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Exactly. I give much more weight to what I see, vs any scientific formula. I've seen with my own eyes, twice I might add, that Rotella does a fine job, and that the typical LS doesn't need transmission line pressure like oil pressure to live a long life. One freshen up 3 years ago, and an inspection a few days ago....near perfect bearings, good by me.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Very different environments. I've seen what happens to diesel oil when put in a gas engine spinning 9000+ rpm. It foams up like a whipped latte.

A diesel engine with high load, low rpm wants a high pressure-viscosity coefficient and high HTHS. They aren't as concerned with high windage, aeration, and acidic contaminants. Gas engines with less load, high rpm need to worry about foaming, aeration, and shear stability.

Rotella T4 15w-40 wouldn't last 2 laps around Daytona in a cup engine, and Driven XP2 0w-20 wouldn't last 10 miles down the highway in a Mac MP10. Different base oils, different additives, different testing parameters, etc... it's comparing apples to oranges.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
Very different environments. I've seen what happens to diesel oil when put in a gas engine spinning 9000+ rpm. It foams up like a whipped latte.

A diesel engine with high load, low rpm wants a high pressure-viscosity coefficient and high HTHS. They aren't as concerned with high windage, aeration, and acidic contaminants. Gas engines with less load, high rpm need to worry about foaming, aeration, and shear stability.

Rotella T4 15w-40 wouldn't last 2 laps around Daytona in a cup engine, and Driven XP2 0w-20 wouldn't last 10 miles down the highway in a Mac MP10. Different base oils, different additives, different testing parameters, etc... it's comparing apples to oranges.
Says you, but there's more guys than just the OP who would disagree. Several with 1000hp N/A 8000rpm big blocks are running Rotella 15/40 and it's the only oil that has keep their engines alive. Even Ray Barton uses diesel 15/40 in his 1200hp N/A gen2 Hemi's from memory. Whipped latte my ***.. you seem like a shill for car oils.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
Rotella T4 15w-40 wouldn't last 2 laps around Daytona in a cup engine, and Driven XP2 0w-20 wouldn't last 10 miles down the highway in a Mac MP10.
I don't think there's a soul here in Forced induction that races at Daytona, or who races Mack trucks. Many here have used Rotella for YEARS and all is well. Some of the fastest cars around here may turn 8k, and they only do that for 7-8 seconds. Rotella/Delvac holds up to high heat fairly well, and doesn't break down quickly. I think that's what most people are looking for.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Exactly the diesel oil keeps a coating on the bearings at high temps when car oils turn to vapour.

Street/drag engines don't sit at 8000rpm for laps like a Nascar, so using the foaming argument in this forum, is pointless, and deceiving.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly the diesel oil keeps a coating on the bearings at high temps when car oils turn to vapour.

Street/drag engines don't sit at 8000rpm for laps like a Nascar, so using the foaming argument in this forum, is pointless, and deceiving.
He is pointing out that 1 oil handles sustained high rpm better than another....he obviously doesn't assume that we run in Nascar. And several on here do road courses and auto x, so it is relevant.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyTA
I've learned over time (and especially recently, and especially after the creation of this thread) how much people just DO NOT KNOW. How much they PRETEND to know.

You just summed up the entire internet in one sentence.

Truth is very very few actually have any factual, scientific data to back up anything they say on this or any forum.. Rather it be coil packs, secret cam profiles, different weights of engine oil, header diameter, etc.

I would guess about 95% of this forum is nothing but repeated antecedents that make people feel good about themselves.

But if it wasn't...no one would ever have anything to post about.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

but wait are yall thinking the bearings in the first post arent fucked six ways from sunday?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive been informed that my bearings are REKT. Better get new ones I guess.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Says you, but there's more guys than just the OP who would disagree. Several with 1000hp N/A 8000rpm big blocks are running Rotella 15/40 and it's the only oil that has keep their engines alive. Even Ray Barton uses diesel 15/40 in his 1200hp N/A gen2 Hemi's from memory. Whipped latte my ***.. you seem like a shill for car oils.
They're staying alive despite using diesel oil, not because of it. If you want to keep using diesel oil, have at it. I'm simply stating the risks you take in doing so. What you choose to do with that information is up to you.

Comparing a turbocharged, street driven gas engine to a NASCAR cup engine is no further out there than comparing it to a 15L diesel.

I have no stake in what oil you use. The oils I primarily deal with aren't readily available to the general public, and I wouldn't recommend them for the majority of the engines here, even if they were.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

so are we talking like CBD oil?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:54 AM
11 Second Club

I would typically agree, but when someone is actually in the industry
Let me guess, industry that involves selling car oils.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You just summed up the entire internet in one sentence.

Truth is very very few actually have any factual, scientific data to back up anything they say on this or any forum.. Rather it be coil packs, secret cam profiles, different weights of engine oil, header diameter, etc.

I would guess about 95% of this forum is nothing but repeated antecedents that make people feel good about themselves.

But if it wasn't...no one would ever have anything to post about.
Yep none of us on the entire internet know **** about ****. Nobody here has ever tested anything back to back, they just assume. And we also just like to repeat what someone else said and post it to feel good about ourselves. We need scientific laboratory data for our street/strip cars to prove that our ideas really work!! or they don't. We just made it all up or imagined that it worked. And nobody here has gone fast successfully by trial and error, they just fluked it.. Their lack of scientific evidence said so.

Now go fit your 1 5/8 shorty tube headers with 2.5" collectors to your max effort N/A LSX and top it off with 5w20 Castrol magnatec from walmart because it really magnets onto your engine insides, and show us 95% of internet dreamers that lack scientific evidence how to go reeaaallllllly fast.

Last edited by Launch; 07-15-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Let me guess, industry that involves selling car oils.
Has Poly pushed any 1 oil exclusively? No. It's pretty easy to tell when someone works for a given company or vendor and is just trying to hustle product. He hasn't done that. This is no different than someone working in the spark plug industry coming in and explaining why projected tip plugs and TR6's are a bad idea for a boosted motor. Just because a bearing looks good with XYZ oil, doesn't mean it couldn't look better or last longer or handle more power with the correct oil. In case it was missed I've used Rotella exclusively for about a decade in turbo'd LS1's....but when someone who does this stuff for a living shares information, I'm at least open to listening instead of immediately trying to disprove them....
The following users liked this post:
LS1-IROC (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

Has Poly pushed any 1 oil exclusively? No. It's pretty easy to tell when someone works for a given company or vendor and is just trying to hustle product. He hasn't done that. This is no different than someone working in the spark plug industry coming in and explaining why projected tip plugs and TR6's are a bad idea for a boosted motor. Just because a bearing looks good with XYZ oil, doesn't mean it couldn't look better or last longer or handle more power with the correct oil. In case it was missed I've used Rotella exclusively for about a decade in turbo'd LS1's....but when someone who does this stuff for a living shares information, I'm at least open to listening instead of immediately trying to disprove them....
Yep just because it worked doesn’t mean it was the “best” method. Small sample size guy doesn’t measure bearing clearance says everyone else that does is an idiot because it’s internet myth that clearances need measured.

Ive personally always used ported stock oil pumps and no fancy oils, but I’ll listen to people that know more to see what I can learn.