Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Let's settle this oil pressure debate.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
This oil debate has been going since before the internet and further.....it will be debated in another 20 years too. WHY....because engines live under all scenarios. It just doesn't seem like that big of deal, like every makes it seem.

Now for purpose built, high end, particular types of builds....yes, listen to the builder. But for 99.99% of engines out there......if it has rule-of-thumb pressure just drive it.
Unfortunately, "in another 20 years" all we will have to argue about will be "the fastest way to charge our batteries ".....
Fwiw, i use rotella with a ported and shimmed pump.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

For me personally I rely on experience as opposed to what someone on the internet says because its the internet and half of what is shared is bull ****.
In my SBE boosted LS1 I've used AmsOil, VR1, Royal Purple and Kendall and none of them impressed.
All these oils would get smacked with a decent reduction in oil pressure (10+ psi or so) after making multiple hits in 60-70 degree low humidity weather.
While this is to be expected my pressure would seem to stay there even after a cool down drive period which triggers my obsession with watching oil pressure like a crack head.
My oil pressure also seemed to fluctuate a bit during a pull and while idling indicating to me the oil had thinned.
On a whim I bought some Delo 15-40 that was on sale at Costco because it was so cheap and over time have found it works best with my turbocharged setup.
My oil pressure holds more steady and will actually bounce back from multiple hits after cool down.
The big advantage also is cost, because its far less than the aforementioned oils I can change it 1-2 times during the summer and not spend a small fortune.
Is Delo 15-40 the end all be all...no but it works for me and for my application.
Just my $.02 gents.