Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pd blower ice tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 478 Likes on 375 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Pd blower ice tank?

Just how are these set up? Does the thing just act like a cooler for the antifreeze in the system or is it the actual ice water that gets circulated? Looks like some use a bilge pump?

Thinking of making or buying a system for my termi swapped notch. Just wasn't sure on how they actually were set up.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a 3 gallon aluminum reservoir in the bed of my truck, I run plain water in it all year round because the truck is stored in a heated garage in the winter. I have only added ice once just to see how much it cooled the IAT's and they dropped by about 40* but the ice only lasted a few minutes. If you take it to the strip it would certainly make a power difference but it's not going to do much on the street. You wanting to do this for track or street use?
Old 08-25-2019, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Ice is for strip only.

But there's no reason why you could have the system pump the water through the front rad first to cool it, then through an ice reservoir before going into the actual engine core.

But drag only would just be a large reservoir, no front radiator, and the ice box cools all the water in the system, and you'd only need to circulate the water when necessary. But as above, it would not be expected to last very long.

For street use, some of the cooler systems where they use the aircon to chill the blower core would be the best long term solution for a multi-use vehicle. Pretty much chilled core available anytime you need, and zero maintenance.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks for the info.

So you think the aircon thing be a better route overall? It is mostly just a hotrod street car.

Maybe do a system where like you said it goes through the front intercooler rad first then to the ice box wouldn't be terrible....especially if it would be in a coil to keep the antifreeze in the system and easily drain the water. That wouldn't be to terrible as it would help get some weight in the back of this thing.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

It really depends.

The interchiller will allow you to chill the core at any time, without having to hunt for ice or any such nonsense. So if it's a driver, that you use a lot, race sometimes etc etc....it would seem the best option ?
No ******* about filling or draining anything.

https://fiinterchillers.com/products/

Obviously you could opt for just an efficient front water rad, and just accept as with most ambient coolers....you'll never cool below ambient. That applies to A2W, A2A, whatever.

But I guess a good first question or questions....how hot are charge temps at present ? How hot is the water in the system getting at present ? etc etc ie, just how efficient is the current setup, or how bad ?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Idk what the intake temps are. I have no way of logging them on my ford. It has a afco oversized front heat exchanger on it. These modulars just seem to have a ton of heat soak. It definitely likes long cool downs so i was just looking for something better than whats goin on now.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It really depends.

The interchiller will allow you to chill the core at any time, without having to hunt for ice or any such nonsense. So if it's a driver, that you use a lot, race sometimes etc etc....it would seem the best option ?
No ******* about filling or draining anything.

https://fiinterchillers.com/products/
I haven't plumbed my AC yet but when I do my plan is to hit the salvage yard and get the rear AC condenser and related plumbing and put the condenser in the reservoir, I figure I can build it for a couple hundred dollars and it will only add a few pounds to the setup I have now. I won't mess with valving to shut off the cabin condenser since it won't see any track use.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Idk what the intake temps are. I have no way of logging them on my ford. It has a afco oversized front heat exchanger on it. These modulars just seem to have a ton of heat soak. It definitely likes long cool downs so i was just looking for something better than whats goin on now.
Without knowing what you're trying to fix.....off to a bad start.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I haven't plumbed my AC yet but when I do my plan is to hit the salvage yard and get the rear AC condenser and related plumbing and put the condenser in the reservoir, I figure I can build it for a couple hundred dollars and it will only add a few pounds to the setup I have now. I won't mess with valving to shut off the cabin condenser since it won't see any track use.
A setup like that were you could chill water/antifreeze on demand, down to a nice temperature ready for pumping into the engine cores should be a great performer.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Without knowing what you're trying to fix.....off to a bad start.
Not really trying to fix anything. Just trying to improve the system a bit.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Not really trying to fix anything. Just trying to improve the system a bit.
Same applies.

You need to have a baseline to measure, to know if you've improved it or not, and by how much....or if it is even enough.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an Afco heat x with a 2 gal res in the battery tray location . My temps stay around 25* over ambient . The heat x is for a gt500 and has dual fans on it . The fans make all the difference . I run 70/30 water / antifreeze. With water wetter . This is with a whipple 2.9 . I actually bought a chiller , but haven't installed it yet . The IAT sensor is in the bottom of the blower case so it will heat soak when shut off. I just leave it running in the lanes with the fans on.

Quick Reply: Pd blower ice tank?