Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley Terminator X and running motor on alky/methanol/M1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
8 widebands, you running zoomies lol Can't say I've seen any other V8 exhaust that doesn't have some sort of merge point.

Or you mean 8 EGT sensors?
Your just getting the average at the collector of all 8. We tune each cylinder individually so the average really doesnt mean that much to us. 8 stand alone widebands connected to holley plus 2 widebands that come with with holley on most of the race cars. We tune them off the plugs but once we have it dialed in each cylinder wideband is a very good reference to whats going on in that cylinder from pass to pass.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Your just getting the average at the collector of all 8. We tune each cylinder individually so the average really doesnt mean that much to us. 8 stand alone widebands connected to holley plus 2 widebands that come with with holley on most of the race cars. We tune them off the plugs but once we have it dialed in each cylinder wideband is a very good reference to whats going on in that cylinder from pass to pass.
Aware, but most stuff under 2000hp isnt worth that much effort. A per bank average and per cylinder tuning based off plugs suffices for most people under 1500whp. A bank average with a per cylinder EGT reading suffices for most people up to about 2000whp which is about the limit of what I've seen streetable without a metric shitton of effort and parts. So I guess your way over that in a race car, which is great I just don't get into such limited use vehicles that much.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I think as technology and time advance you'll see it become feasible for your average hot rodder to be able to afford to use one O2 sensor per bank.
It wasn't all that long ago that people were able to ditch carbs and get affordable aftermarket EFI systems that were user friendly. 10 years ago people probably never thought we'd have a Terminator X type system to play with at this cost.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I think as technology and time advance you'll see it become feasible for your average hot rodder to be able to afford to use one O2 sensor per bank.
It wasn't all that long ago that people were able to ditch carbs and get affordable aftermarket EFI systems that were user friendly. 10 years ago people probably never thought we'd have a Terminator X type system to play with at this cost.
Its been feasible for a long time, 10 years ago I had a standalone ECM with o2 correction on my daily driven VW running 30PSI that was plug and play with the factory ECM at about the same price point. In all actuality I would think that the LS market would have had this long ago, but aside from the pricey Motec and ProEFI I still don't see any reasonably priced plug and play options. Granted Holley is pretty damn easy to setup with its own harness, just takes convincing some people to make the jump.

I actually wish they would ditch the 3" screen and offer an even cheaper option of Holley, that would be awesome!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

its not plug and play at all. you wanna get EFI related PTSD go on the Holley Terminator X Owners Facebook page. JFC, how do some of these people manage to feed themselves!????
Old 09-18-2019, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Its been feasible for a long time,

I actually wish they would ditch the 3" screen and offer an even cheaper option of Holley, that would be awesome!
I was actually referring to the aftermarket to make a system to control the LS engine with inputs/outputs that's user friendly at a reasonable price, There have been other options for quite some time but they weren't very user friendly didn't offer a lot of extra functions beyond controlling the basic engine and the price kept most people from using them. It made sense to use the stock computer with a cut down harness when swapping into old vehicles but now the price is close enough to use the Holley X system. Right now the cost of 8 quality O2 sensors and the added hardware needed to add them to the Holley would be costly but it would be nice to have an ECU that can tune individual cylinders on the fly.

I agree on the LCD, I have had all of them at some point.I have the 3"-7"-12" now I use the 7" in my truck and have the 12" waiting to go in my other truck when it's finished. When I bought my 7" it was $500 and I thought that was high, But after figuring in what it can actually do and not having to buy any other gauges I decided it was worth it to me.
The 12" display is an expensive piece but again I decided it was worth it because it's going into a 1950 Chevy truck and the plan is to have built into the dash with a motorized cover that I hope I can make work kind of like a roll top desk so it's hidden until you turn the key.

The 3" is just being used on my run stand for now, It will likely be used in a street legal vintage sprint car I'm working on, It's to small to really do much other than the basics.

Originally Posted by truckdoug
its not plug and play at all. you wanna get EFI related PTSD go on the Holley Terminator X Owners Facebook page. JFC, how do some of these people manage to feed themselves!????
When I got my first Holley system I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to wire and fire. If a person can't figure out how to wire it up they sure as hell have no business trying to run an engine with one. Some people just aren't mechanically inclined and some can't figure out how to open the hood.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Aware, but most stuff under 2000hp isnt worth that much effort. A per bank average and per cylinder tuning based off plugs suffices for most people under 1500whp. A bank average with a per cylinder EGT reading suffices for most people up to about 2000whp which is about the limit of what I've seen streetable without a metric shitton of effort and parts. So I guess your way over that in a race car, which is great I just don't get into such limited use vehicles that much.
Its all retaliative to your goals, budget and race program. You can make 2,000hp with a carburetor and no efi if wanted to or you have a $30k efi system to make the same power. The more data you have the easier it is to control power management and also keep the motor happy. It just depends on the engine combo and what power adder your running on what data is useful to have.

Originally Posted by truckdoug
You wouldn't believe the phone calls, emails and message we get.
The following users liked this post:
truckdoug (09-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Holley Terminator X and running motor on alky/methanol/M1 ?