Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any Buick V6 fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any Buick V6 fans

Hello All,
I'm looking to install a boost/vacuum gauge on my stocker 87 WE2. I purchased a used Auto Meter assembly with the end connection cut off. I believe it's 1/8 nylon tube. I'm trying to "T" it in somewhere but i need the hardware/ components to do it. Not trying to thread it in anywhere. Anyone know what parts are needed?
Thanks
Chuck

Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you want to know where to tee into for a boost signal? Is it all original? Been a while since I've been under a bone stock TurboBuick hood haha. Back when mine was near stock, I believe I T'ed into the charcoal canister. You can use an eighth inch ID vacuum hose and feed the nylon tube into that. Put some hairspray or glue on it if you would like. From there, use a 1/8th barbed T fitting and put it wherever you would like to.

It would be worth going over all vacuum lines in the car if you have not before. The plastic lines get brittle, rubber breaks down, etc. I replaced all mine with rubber vacuum hose.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Yes Z it is a 4k mile original right down to the tires. Just trying to set up a temporary gauge to get some accurate readings as the car feels a bit down on power compared to how it was when new. That was the first thing I was told to do, hook up a mechanical gauge.
However, the nylon line I think needs to be finished at the end with some kind of brass hardware? I think? I tried using plastic T's going into a hard line that goes behind the coil pack but no dice it wouldn't work.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NorasHot
Yes Z it is a 4k mile original right down to the tires. Just trying to set up a temporary gauge to get some accurate readings as the car feels a bit down on power compared to how it was when new. That was the first thing I was told to do, hook up a mechanical gauge.
However, the nylon line I think needs to be finished at the end with some kind of brass hardware? I think? I tried using plastic T's going into a hard line that goes behind the coil pack but no dice it wouldn't work.
Find some vacuum hose that you can push the nylon tube into tightly. If you have 1/8th inch nylon tube, an 1/8th inch ID vacuum hose will work. That will 'adapt' the nylon tube to a vacuum hose and you can use any barbed fitting from there. Follow? As far as connecting it to the stock hard line, I would have to see a picture Its been WAY too long. All of my lines are push locked and I have deleted the stock vacuum block.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

you cant just come up in here talking about a 4000 mile all original cold air car and not post pictures

and what the hell dude did you get a stock tip before the market crash? last year i saw a 7000 mile we2 get $70k wooooow
Old 03-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses folks! My father purchased this car new Ray Buick Chicago in may of 1988 I believe. I will get up pics soon just a bit boggled about a couple of things going on with it right now-like the bumper fillers "delaminating" or whatever its called and seemingly "lackluster" performance. I will try to get the gauge hooked up then clean it for some glamour shots.
The following users liked this post:
truckdoug (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses folks! My father purchased this car new Ray Buick Chicago in may of 1988 I believe. I will get up pics soon just a bit boggled about a couple of things going on with it right now-like the bumper fillers "delaminating" or whatever its called and seemingly "lackluster" performance. I will try to get the gauge hooked up then clean it for some glamour shots.
Sadly after 35 or so years, it happens. My stock ones were beat. The lackluster performance we can fix. Here are a few great resources you can use.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/Technical%20Pages.html
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html
http://www.gnttype.org/resources.html
Old 03-28-2020, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Lackluster performance could be a number of issues. The turbo has probably rusted up a little, the valvesprings are probably weak, and new honda civics making as much power now as your once king of the streets did 30+ years ago makes for a skewed perspective.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 AM
Teching In

Some older ones

The following users liked this post:
truckdoug (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

30+ yr old tires?

Quick Reply: Any Buick V6 fans