Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Throwing accessory belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Throwing accessory belt

I have ict alternator and power steering kit on 5.3 with truck crank pulley. Water pump spacers. Everything should line up but at high rpm my belt is shredding. Any ideas on how I can find what is not lined up? It only makes a mess on the alternator not the PS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MI76HT6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MI76HT6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011A85TQ0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011A85TQ0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

also here’s couple videos from other night. Brand new belt and did these 2 pulls and pic above is what belt looks like now.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

A spring loaded idler works best on a serp. belt, but using the alt. as the adjustment should work. To me it looks like the alt pulley has some jagged edges, unless that came from the belt. If you look at the groves, it looks as though the alt. could go back toward the engine to better center in the pulley grooves. I have a diff ICT setup on mine, and it will throw the belt, using a GM spring idler, the belt takes a diff path from the factory, which kind of allows the idler to go "over center", not keep tension like it should, may try a man adjuster. Hard to beat factory designed stuff, lol.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

I use a Dayco laser that sets on the ribs of the crank pulley to verify alignment of other pulleys. Maybe a cheaper laser pen could be used. I also use a cheap gopro with mag mount to capture video of issues to help see/understand what's going on.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
I use a Dayco laser that sets on the ribs of the crank pulley to verify alignment of other pulleys. Maybe a cheaper laser pen could be used. I also use a cheap gopro with mag mount to capture video of issues to help see/understand what's going on.
go pro may not be a bad idea. A co worker said a 360s laser may work if I hold it above crank pulley
Old 06-30-2020, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure how a 360* laser will use the harmonic pulley as reference. As long as the all the accessory pulley ribs align with the crank rib and the face of the accessory pulley is parallel to the laser line, you should be good. A pulley that is not aligned or tilted will cause you problems.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure how a 360* laser will use the harmonic pulley as reference. As long as the all the accessory pulley ribs align with the crank rib and the face of the accessory pulley is parallel to the laser line, you should be good. A pulley that is not aligned or tilted will cause you problems.
it most likely the alternator being the issue though right? The belt wears there and puts rubber all over the alternator. Crank and ps are clean.

if it pulls towards the motor than I can try to space alt closer to move.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Most likely just a pulley alignment issue as mentioned.

Can you grab the top of that alternator and push it FWD/AFT any? Looks like a less than ideal setup that may allow a lot of deflection/movement? Maybe not... Just looks flimsy with the single attach point on the bottom and a single turn buckle up top. does it vibrate at idle or when you free rev it?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Most likely just a pulley alignment issue as mentioned.

Can you grab the top of that alternator and push it FWD/AFT any? Looks like a less than ideal setup that may allow a lot of deflection/movement? Maybe not... Just looks flimsy with the single attach point on the bottom and a single turn buckle up top. does it vibrate at idle or when you free rev it?

at minute 32 seconds. You can actually see it move.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Yea that's the belt jumping over a rib and back again IMO. i bet its not aligned right with the crank. I don't see the alt mount deflecting or moving at all. ICT stuff is generally pretty good. I'd be surprised if their mount moved around.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Here’s a slow motion lol. Just made it. Now belt is thrown into alternator after this video.

damn the video won’t do slow motion like my phone does. Wtf
Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Yea that's the belt jumping over a rib and back again IMO. i bet its not aligned right with the crank. I don't see the alt mount deflecting or moving at all. ICT stuff is generally pretty good. I'd be surprised if their mount moved around.
you think it’s the pulley I added under alt.? It lines up really good with alternator pulley. I have it there so belt doesn’t hit my water neck.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Take off the belt, spin all pulleys by hand and look for one that might have some kind of drag. I had an idler cause an identical issue.

For the alternator, you can grab a flat bar (must be FLAT) and lay it across the face of the crank pulley and see if it also lays flat against the face of the alternator pulley.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AwesomeAuto
Take off the belt, spin all pulleys by hand and look for one that might have some kind of drag. I had an idler cause an identical issue.

For the alternator, you can grab a flat bar (must be FLAT) and lay it across the face of the crank pulley and see if it also lays flat against the face of the alternator pulley.
damn the steel flat bar is a good idea. I have one too. I just had it apart 2 days ago to put the new belt on. Which is destroyed in video you can see lol. If it is lined up then I’m going to try without my idler pulley I added. Hopefully belt doesn’t slap my water outlet in the first video. Thinking it will for sure though.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Based on the video, the belt goes slack on the pass side of crank pulley when accelerating, you don't have a spring tensioner to take up the slack or a shouldered idler to keep the belt stable before it feeds the alternator. The alt pulley being a small diameter (compared to PS as an example) doesn't take much belt misalignment to get belt all jacked up. Hope this helps reconfig to correct the issues.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

stiffen the alt bracketry, add a spring loaded tensioner, run a green fleet runner belt
Old 07-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW I kept throwing belts and having issues when I first did the ls swap in my car. I found my balancer bolt was not tight and began to walk off the crank a little bit causing the alignment to be off.... something to check
Old 07-01-2020, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Based on the video, the belt goes slack on the pass side of crank pulley when accelerating, you don't have a spring tensioner to take up the slack or a shouldered idler to keep the belt stable before it feeds the alternator. The alt pulley being a small diameter (compared to PS as an example) doesn't take much belt misalignment to get belt all jacked up. Hope this helps reconfig to correct the issues.
this is 100% the issue. I took the idler off and ran smaller belt today with it tighten and when revved you can see very small movement but it doesn’t have a smooth idler to allow the front to back play.

so now that it won’t throw the belt, I gotta get a oem turn outlet, weld a u turn on it so it comes back to front. With the straight outlet I have it rubs like 3mm lol. Close but no good.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Put an idler back on it...ideally one with sidewalls. And tighten it more.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Put an idler back on it...ideally one with sidewalls. And tighten it more.
know of any with sidewalls? I would love do this idea. Ones I found have groves and not smooth
Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Nothing specific, but plenty of cars use them.

Not overly high walls...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayco-Alter...sAAOSww7FehOMP

This kit seems to have one...no idea on width though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Alterna...0AAOSwe7BWzD4Y

looks like some of the above.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vortech-3...-/113612329704

6 rib

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vor-4fh016-150

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vor-4fa016-150

Or get a grooved pulley like this and have someone turn it down smooth in a lathe, which would leave nice high sidewalls.

https://www.thumpracing.com/grooved_pulleys.htm

https://www.lsxconcepts.com/products...n-idler-pulley

Quick Reply: Throwing accessory belt