Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air 2 Water intercooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Air 2 Water intercooler questions

My build is a single 7875 turbo on a 5.3 with a 500-600rwhp goal. I will be running pump and e85. 95% street. The car is a 70' chevelle and plan to have A/C (condenser) at some later time. Battery is still in stock location.

I was given an a2w intercooler and heat exchanger so I want to ask to see if it makes sense to use these parts.

Intercooler: specs are identical to type 51 on frozen boost. States good for 600hp:
https://www.frozenboost.com/air_wate...ler-p-946.html

The heat exchanger is brand new and for a 03-04 cobra, which is rated from the factory at 390hp. The core measures 22.5x6x1.25. The inlet and outlet are not in ideal locations.

Thinking maybe one of these heat exchangers would work better:
https://www.frozenboost.com/water-to...6mbu6dudv8mrr5

If I go this route, I would run the cobra bosch intercooler pump. If I go with a heat exchanger linked above, and it has a rad cap, do I need a reservoir tank? Any simple tank ideas to locate under the hood?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-11-2021, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

If you go to a track ever then you'll need a tank on it if it has a rad cap and the overflow barb or they won't let you on. But since they only run distilled water in them it's not going to hurt anything if some comes out and makes it on to the ground. It's just wet and slippery and race tracks hate that. I doubt you'll get it hot enough to put that sort of pressure on it anyways.

If it were me I would probably get a small universal plastic tank from summit of something and just zip tie it somewhere unseen near the exchanger. Behind the bumper or something, or even zip tied right to the heat exchanger itself.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 242 Likes on 169 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Years ago I had a 70 Chevelle I built an IC'er setup sim. to what you pic'ed. I ran one of the Ford truck heat exchangers, and had a small tank made with a fuel cell filler type cap. It all fit under the hood. I never raced it so no data, but figured I could have added ice in the tank if I did. A haker wiped out all my old pics, so none. As I remember the tank was on the DS, and the IC'er was on the pass side, bat in the trunk. It was Procharged.
I am now looking at a system for my Hornet, was thinking of Frozen Boosts little rad. with the filler neck, and one of the large barrow type IC's, and the bosch pump. If I had E85, I wouldn't bother, but just 93 around here.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething
If you go to a track ever then you'll need a tank on it if it has a rad cap and the overflow barb or they won't let you on. But since they only run distilled water in them it's not going to hurt anything if some comes out and makes it on to the ground. It's just wet and slippery and race tracks hate that. I doubt you'll get it hot enough to put that sort of pressure on it anyways.

If it were me I would probably get a small universal plastic tank from summit of something and just zip tie it somewhere unseen near the exchanger. Behind the bumper or something, or even zip tied right to the heat exchanger itself.
Good point
Old 03-12-2021, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Years ago I had a 70 Chevelle I built an IC'er setup sim. to what you pic'ed. I ran one of the Ford truck heat exchangers, and had a small tank made with a fuel cell filler type cap. It all fit under the hood. I never raced it so no data, but figured I could have added ice in the tank if I did. A haker wiped out all my old pics, so none. As I remember the tank was on the DS, and the IC'er was on the pass side, bat in the trunk. It was Procharged.
I am now looking at a system for my Hornet, was thinking of Frozen Boosts little rad. with the filler neck, and one of the large barrow type IC's, and the bosch pump. If I had E85, I wouldn't bother, but just 93 around here.
Thanks for the feedback.

I might be better off selling this brand new heat exchanger to a cobra owner, and buying one from frozen boost. The inlet/outlet will work out better.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using the frozen boost Type 15 intercooler with the Type 18 exchanger you have linked and it works well for me. I have a small reservoir in the trunk and am also using the Bosch pump. Car makes 750 to the tire on pump 93 with water/meth injection, 99% street car with AC. I probably could have run a small reservoir under the hood but my plan when I built it was to eventually add a bigger one in the back to hold lots of ice.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:57 AM
8 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Use something with the 2 cores like shown below vs the single posted at the top
Old 03-15-2021, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by squarles67
I'm using the frozen boost Type 15 intercooler with the Type 18 exchanger you have linked and it works well for me. I have a small reservoir in the trunk and am also using the Bosch pump. Car makes 750 to the tire on pump 93 with water/meth injection, 99% street car with AC. I probably could have run a small reservoir under the hood but my plan when I built it was to eventually add a bigger one in the back to hold lots of ice.
Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: Air 2 Water intercooler questions