Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Too much back pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeAuto
I made 600whp with those exact same housings and backpressure wasn't a factor. Could've made more power with more boost.
It ran mid 10s banging gears at ~3500 lbs.
Could very well be your cam's response to them.

I probably could of made more. But the power level was pretty low for 13-15psi

what size motor and compression was your engine
Old 05-08-2021, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallguy
I just have it in a 3 port Mac valve controlling two Tial 38mm wastegates. It’s at 22% duty cycle
Put a peak hold pressure gauge or datalog sensor on your gate line to see where gate pressure is at in relation to boost.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
Put a peak hold pressure gauge or datalog sensor on your gate line to see where gate pressure is at in relation to boost.
haven’t heard of this trick. Would it not be the same as the intake manifolds pressure?
Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

No. Manifold boost pressure comes from compressor side compared to turbine side and back pressure as measure by the amount of pressure on the gate to hold it closed. Take gate divided by boost to get your ratio. If it moves past 1.5:1, consider making some changes depending on goals.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interested in this due to the small a/r size. Looking at the torque curve the responsiveness looks good so that would be a big advantage with the smaller turbine housings, as long as they are not far too small for your power goal. If you decide to go bigger, why not try the next size up with the 0.86 (?) a/r instead of going all the way to the large one?

As far as measuring the pressure upstream of the turbine (in the exhaust) if you have an available exhaust bung somewhere, you can attach a long metallic tube to that. A long piece of tubing, say 2-3 feet will cool off before it gets to the gauge since there is really no flow in the tube. Then you can go to a rubber tube and connect that to a pressure gauge. There is very little flow so the pressure reading will be good even at the end of a long tube. Capture the pressure gauge reading in a cell phone video next to the tach for a poor man's data logger. Hope that makes sense.

Very, very cool engine swap by the way. I have always loved the Clown Shoes, great cars. I had a E36 M3 coupe for a while (supercharged) and it was a great car.

Last edited by Deude_Mann; 05-10-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Deude_Mann
Very interested in this due to the small a/r size. Looking at the torque curve the responsiveness looks good so that would be a big advantage with the smaller turbine housings, as long as they are not far too small for your power goal. If you decide to go bigger, why not try the next size up with the 0.86 (?) a/r instead of going all the way to the large one?

As far as measuring the pressure upstream of the turbine (in the exhaust) if you have an available exhaust bung somewhere, you can attach a long metallic tube to that. A long piece of tubing, say 2-3 feet will cool off before it gets to the gauge since there is really no flow in the tube. Then you can go to a rubber tube and connect that to a pressure gauge. There is very little flow so the pressure reading will be good even at the end of a long tube. Capture the pressure gauge reading in a cell phone video next to the tach for a poor man's data logger. Hope that makes sense.

Very, very cool engine swap by the way. I have always loved the Clown Shoes, great cars. I had a E36 M3 coupe for a while (supercharged) and it was a great car.
unfortunately I don’t have any ports between the turbo and the heads. I could go with the .82 but it just doesn’t seem to be that big of a step.

im not overly worried about being laggy with 62’s and 10:1 compression
Old 05-10-2021, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

No worries. I'll keep an eye on this thread since regardless of how it turns out there is and will be some useful information here.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

No worries. I'll keep an eye on this thread since regardless of how it turns out there is and will be some useful information here.

ill post the dyno results. Same boost and same timing. See what it does.

took the old ones off.

Last edited by Fallguy; 05-11-2021 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

My guess is at those low boost levels you will see little gain at all. It will be a cool test though and we thank you for the efforts!
Old 05-11-2021, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fallguy, hope my above post regarding gate pressure measurement made sense. No need to have a port in the turbine drive side to measure back pressure when using gate pressure to manage gate opening. The exhaust back pressure is basically a 1:1 correlation to gate pressure. Always good to have back pressure measurement info before tweaking turbine housing, exhaust system, etc. Side note - Your back pressure could be the 4" exhaust. 4" pipe flow is 1.5sqin less than (2) 3" pipes feeding it. Just some thoughts.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

No need to have a port in the turbine drive side to measure back pressure when using gate pressure to manage gate opening. The exhaust back pressure is basically a 1:1 correlation to gate pressure.
I am not that familiar with external waste gates (internals so far) so this is a great tip. Thanks.

Last edited by Deude_Mann; 05-11-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Fallguy, hope my above post regarding gate pressure measurement made sense. No need to have a port in the turbine drive side to measure back pressure when using gate pressure to manage gate opening. The exhaust back pressure is basically a 1:1 correlation to gate pressure. Always good to have back pressure measurement info before tweaking turbine housing, exhaust system, etc. Side note - Your back pressure could be the 4" exhaust. 4" pipe flow is 1.5sqin less than (2) 3" pipes feeding it. Just some thoughts.

Keep us posted.
interesting. I just jumped into going to a bigger AR I was warned by a few people these would be too small. I have had the turbos for over ten years sitting on the shelf. I had spec’d them out for a v6 project. But they ended up on this V8

ill have to try that technique

4” is smaller than dual 3” but should not start to choke it at such low power levels I would think.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

I probably could of made more. But the power level was pretty low for 13-15psi

what size motor and compression was your engine
Originally a stock ~2000 4.8.

Swapped to a gen 4 5.3 and changed nothing turbo wise. Ran 10.69 on 15 PSI on pump gas, with a T56 and stock rear suspension in an S10 that weighed 3400 lbs (without driver I believe).
Old 05-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Fallguy, very clean installation by the way, looks great. The mirror image turbos, BOVs, and exhaust wrap are all very nice. I would have to take some measurements, but fitting a front-mount dual setup is something I have considered in the Miata (rather than a rear mount). It is a very tight squeeze, maybe even more so than yours. What are you using for exhaust manifolds?
Old 05-11-2021, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Fallguy, very clean installation by the way, looks great. The mirror image turbos, BOVs, and exhaust wrap are all very nice. I would have to take some measurements, but fitting a front-mount dual setup is something I have considered in the Miata (rather than a rear mount). It is a very tight squeeze, maybe even more so than yours. What are you using for exhaust manifolds?
thanks. It’s pretty tight. I’m sure I have more room than a miata, for that I would say rear mount radiator or rear mount turbos.

for manifold i just made some out of sch10 304ss. They are just a flowing log style. Simple and compact.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AwesomeAuto
Originally a stock ~2000 4.8.

Swapped to a gen 4 5.3 and changed nothing turbo wise. Ran 10.69 on 15 PSI on pump gas, with a T56 and stock rear suspension in an S10 that weighed 3400 lbs (without driver I believe).
Putting that et and weight into a Calculator equates to 585 hp that’s if you’re really hooking up obviously harder to do with a manual transmission

Old 05-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

thanks. It’s pretty tight. I’m sure I have more room than a miata, for that I would say rear mount radiator or rear mount turbos.
Yes I think you are right. I just took a third look at the space and I would have to fabricate a v-mount in order to have enough clearance to the radiator. That, or use some really tiny turbos like dual 2560s; dual 2871s would be the proper size IMO.

Right now I am leaning toward a rear-mount single (larger) turbo, something like a 76mm T4, and know I can make that fitment work. There is a lot of volume between the rear subframe and the bumper to work with so it's plenty of space for a turbo, a muffler, external waste gate, scavenge pump, and then some. I'd use a non water cooled CHRA to make the plumbing easier.

for manifold i just made some out of sch10 304ss. They are just a flowing log style. Simple and compact.
Nice work
Old 05-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I think you are right. I just took a third look at the space and I would have to fabricate a v-mount in order to have enough clearance to the radiator. That, or use some really tiny turbos like dual 2560s;
If you used a pump to get the oil back to the pan you could low mount them under the headlights in the bumper. Then feed into a vertical flow intercooler.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I looked there as well. That could also work. There is a lot of space in front of the front tires, behind the bumper, especially with the front air dam and splitter. The only thing is that might force me into a direct exhaust dump (no muffler) because routing the exhaust back to the rear of the car would be tricky; there is not much space between the subframe and the short block, and going underneath the subframe is not an option; the bottom of the subframe is the height of the bottom of the car. I'm hoping to make the exhaust note stealthy so I'd want at least a small muffler.

Maybe I could have a blown front splitter, HA!

The rear mount also shifts most of the additional weight to the rear of the car. The Miata LS1 swap does not throw the weight balance off enough to be a problem; the car is very balanced even by road race standards (I know, hard to believe). But adding the turbo weight to the rear would shift things 1-2% backward which would be a secondary benefit.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Anyway I do not mean to jack your thread. Carry on.

Quick Reply: Too much back pressure?