Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thoughts on this turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottStaypuff
​​​​​​I just know it can help with coking issues. If they are getting away with it thats cool. My understanding is journal bearing works just fine in our typical LS applications. Not going to matter much on the street. So I wanted to KISS.
when all the oem car manufacturers are using water to cool their journal bearing & ball bearing turbos why wouldnt you use it?

You got one coolant port on each head so you can put the turbo on either side and still eun water to it conveniently. Keep the internals cool and the hotside hot and you’ll have your cake and eat it too!
Old 06-20-2024, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Rx-7
when all the oem car manufacturers are using water to cool their journal bearing & ball bearing turbos why wouldnt you use it?

You got one coolant port on each head so you can put the turbo on either side and still eun water to it conveniently. Keep the internals cool and the hotside hot and you’ll have your cake and eat it too!

Yes, my PT Cruiser has a tiny turbo and I believe its water cooled. Its 21 years old now still on the original turbo and still running good if that says anything (that little piggy does mid 14s with a tune, k&n filter and generic Magnaflow muffler, not too shabby for a cheap daily).

I'm kinda surprised the turbo I found for the Firebird is journal bearing and non water cooled since its based on the Garrett G42 stuff. I don't think any of the real ones or Pulsar copies are journal bearing/non water cooled. Viren @ VS must have seen an opportunity to offer this one. I'm camping this week but can't wait to get back and get it installed.
The following users liked this post:
Ls1Rx-7 (06-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this turbo?