Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Proform brushless cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i been following this thread for a while now. i also have a TT engine and a lot of heatsoak, im in florida. ordered these fans aswell to see if they help, but they were not shipped out due to the issues they were having. Patiently waiting on your review lol
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 05:53 PM
Teching In

im currently running a griffin radiator and maradynes highest rated fans. still gets hotter than id like. 214 at idle. slowly creeps up.
Old 08-14-2024, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
if i had a dollar for ever time I've welded on a vehicle building exhausts, turbo kits, mounts, suspension, brackets, frame connectors..... I'd be able to buy a set of those fans. In all those instances i've never unhooked anything, factory ecm or aftermarket ecms and never once had an issue. But I'm a professional jerryrigger though who likes to live on the edge I guess. In all seriousness, if I need at keep a spare $150 ecm for a $500 fan because its a common failure.... I'd have to say that I'll take a hard pass on that. I'd rather get something else that isn't so problematic that I gotta keep expensive spare modules on hand. Yikes!
Well, you understand that all brushless fans have ecms, right? And are all prone to the same issue with welding. I have no idea how you've never had battery, engine management, or other control module issues if you're constantly welding and not unplugging stuff. Realize that voids holley warrenty too.

Main difference is the Delta PAG ECM is modular and replaceable, unlike the proform and the spal that are built in to the motor. That's a horrible design (great business decision when you want to sell alot of fans) When they fail, you need to have a spare complete fan.

Anyway, really sorry you couldn't afford the extra $200 for the Delta PAG fan, but you do get what you pay for.
gsteele (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaPAG
Well, you understand that all brushless fans have ecms, right? And are all prone to the same issue with welding. I have no idea how you've never had battery, engine management, or other control module issues if you're constantly welding and not unplugging stuff. Realize that voids holley warrenty too.

Main difference is the Delta PAG ECM is modular and replaceable, unlike the proform and the spal that are built in to the motor. That's a horrible design (great business decision when you want to sell alot of fans) When they fail, you need to have a spare complete fan.

Anyway, really sorry you couldn't afford the extra $200 for the Delta PAG fan, but you do get what you pay for.
it was ALOT more than $200 extra! Less than $400 for both pro forms. Almost a grand for two delta pags. By your mentality I could buy three extra pro forms for the difference and still not have to spend $150 on spare ecms. lol
Old 08-14-2024, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by customblackbird
So I uploaded some videos of the Proform and Spal showing how I did the tests to get my numbers. The Proform would have performed slightly better with a shroud as the Flexalite did. The Proform for the price seem like a decent entry level brushless setup without the hassle of the trying to figure out the oem stuff. They are very low profile and sticking a few of these together could be gangbusters. One thing to note is the Proform is much faster at ramp up like 7s to full speed where the Spal is something like 17s. Given the $170 price point you can hook this up to a standard fan controller (relay with set on and off) and supply 12v right to the PWM wire. This would give you soft start, ramp to full speed and then off. This fan seems to shine (performance wise) between 70-90%. I feel like the lower 10-40% would be almost unusable unless your cruising at that perfect speed of needing just a tad of air help to pull through the rad. I also checked the motor temp while running for a min or two at full speed and it was 94*F barely warm to the touch.

Here is a short of the procomp off to full start ramp up (much faster than the SPAL) https://youtube.com/shorts/x9GjJe2FACA?feature=share

Here is a video of the procomp going through the test of airflow and amps. https://youtu.be/M07RcERxY_s

Video of the SPAL 16" doing some work https://youtu.be/LVrvBQlNam0
Would love to see you do the same video on a 16" Delta PAG fan. Basically all three available brushless fan on the market. Also, you should really translate those numbers to CFM to compare apples to apples. The diameter of the hub is a huge factor.
G Atsma (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 10:08 PM
Teching In

it was ALOT more than $200 extra! Less than $400 for both pro forms. Almost a grand for two delta pags. By your mentality I could buy three extra pro forms for the difference and still not have to spend $150 on spare ecms. lol
the Delta PAG 16" brushless fan cost $389 without a controller. Not sure what you paid for the proforms

We probably quoted dual fans with digital controls and custom aluminum shroud. Its a good deal if you realize what you're getting. Basically looking something like this, but without the radiator ofcourse.

Old 08-14-2024, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Well got them installed.

I don’t really have much info on them yet. I rode around and let it idle with the ac blasting for over an hour. They never shut down. I know it’s night time but doing what I did would usually cause it to hot soak and temps would get to low 200’s. I had to retune my idle air because they seem to pull less amps than the factory fans. So it was a bunch of kill it and crank back up. My **** is real finicky with the idle because my tune is scaled a large amount to control timing in boost and I’ll run up to 24 psi of boost. So not much resolution in the tables with this factory ecm.
anyways. It liked to stay right at 192 no matter what. I have high set to come on at 200f and go off at 185. They are a little louder than the stock fans but not bad. The own box is temporarily mounted till I decide what I’m doing for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kfxguy:
customblackbird (08-16-2024), Miata khalifa (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Turbo LS Miata, rear mount radiator, power master 165a alt, 2 14" proform brushless fans.

Holy **** I just scrolled for an hour to get down here lol.
GOT MY UPDATED PROFORM FANS LAST SATURDAY AND SO FAR WORKING GREAT!!!
I drove about an hour away on one of the hottest August days here in South Carolina. Cruising on the highway (which is what I my biggest problem was, temps were up to 220 before) 6th gear about 75mph, temps stayed below 200. 199 to be exact. Down shift and give a little throttle and dropped to mid 190s. (Mechanical pump needs rpm to flow well to the rear mount radiator.) took the car out today temp was 190 cruising 195 after making pulls. Fans have stayed on the whole time so far. Wired wide open all the time. Only draw back is they didn't like my 3.2" alt pulley at 850rpm idle. Sat at 12.5 volts. 900-950rpm gave me 13ish volts. Swapped a 2.5" pulley today and idle is 14.1. now I have a high rpm voltage drop again above 7k. Whole different problem to address all over again.. calling power master tomorrow to see if they can sell me a different alt that's actually worth AF for high rpm. All in all I'm happy with the fans so far. There's a lot of heat in my tiny engine bay and this has been the answer to my cooling problems. I'm making a YouTube video on my experience so far. I'll post it in here when it's uploaded in a few weeks. Dennis said fans should be in stock to the public by the end of the month.

Old spal fans. Haven't got a picture of the proforms yet. Just for reference that there is no cut out in trunk, just about a 6 inch gap between. And all the turbulence under the radiator.

Last edited by Miata khalifa; 08-15-2024 at 12:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Miata khalifa:
Johnnunez29 (08-15-2024), Kfxguy (08-15-2024), The BallSS (08-15-2024), wretched73 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 05:25 AM
Teching In

dont forget to post update. these are kinda my last hope before i need to swap out entire radiator aswell. wish i could go 12/16 but i only got space (barely) for a set of 12's
Old 08-15-2024, 06:06 AM
Teching In

btw both the spal and the pag both look great but far too thick for my application. Charge pipe would be right in the middle and wouldnt allow it.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Miata khalifa
Turbo LS Miata, rear mount radiator, power master 165a alt, 2 14" proform brushless fans.

I drove about an hour away on one of the hottest August days here in South Carolina. Cruising on the highway (which is what I my biggest problem was, temps were up to 220 before) 6th gear about 75mph, temps stayed below 200. 199 to be exact. Down shift and give a little throttle and dropped to mid 190s. (Mechanical pump needs rpm to flow well to the rear mount radiator.) took the car out today temp was 190 cruising 195 after making pulls. Fans have stayed on the whole time so far. Wired wide open all the time. Only draw back is they didn't like my 3.2" alt pulley at 850rpm idle. Sat at 12.5 volts. 900-950rpm gave me 13ish volts. Swapped a 2.5" pulley today and idle is 14.1. now I have a high rpm voltage drop again above 7k. Whole different problem to address all over again.. calling power master tomorrow to see if they can sell me a different alt that's actually worth AF for high rpm. All in all I'm happy with the fans so far. There's a lot of heat in my tiny engine bay and this has been the answer to my cooling problems. I'm making a YouTube video on my experience so far. I'll post it in here when it's uploaded in a few weeks. Dennis said fans should be in stock to the public by the end of the month.

Old spal fans. Haven't got a picture of the proforms yet. Just for reference that there is no cut out in trunk, just about a 6 inch gap between. And all the turbulence under the radiator.
sick car. thing looks like a rocket.
Miata khalifa (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I'll have more info after lunch but so far so good. With the amount of air these things move, I was expecting it to be overkill but maybe I was too optimistic. Its not hot out yet and I saw 199 in traffic this morning with the ac on. bout 84f and really humid. The air is hot and feels so thick you could cut it with a knife. Once it warms up it won't be so humid. I;ll see at lunch.
The BallSS (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 439 Posts

Skip Powermaster and contact JS Alternators.
I'm running their 320amp truck case alternator, and it puts out max voltage from idle to 9,000rpm.
High Output Alternators Built in USA | JS-Alternators – JS Alternators
Miata khalifa (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 10:10 AM
7 Second Club

Received 315 Likes on 212 Posts

Only draw back is they didn't like my 3.2" alt pulley at 850rpm idle. Sat at 12.5 volts. 900-950rpm gave me 13ish volts. Swapped a 2.5" pulley today and idle is 14.1. now I have a high rpm voltage drop again above 7k. Whole different problem to address all over again.. calling power master tomorrow to see if they can sell me a different alt that's actually worth AF for high rpm.
A DC Power alternator is the answer, their ratings are actually real and come with test sheets unlike a majority of the others with their "250 amp" and higher ratings. For example I have their 180 amp alternator on my Z06 with a relatively large pulley for high RPM use (8000+ rpm) with dual brushless fans, huge intercooler pump, and triple 525s and voltage stays around 13.5 at idle and does not sag at all at high RPM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NicD:
G Atsma (08-15-2024), Miata khalifa (08-15-2024), The BallSS (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
A DC Power alternator is the answer, their ratings are actually real and come with test sheets unlike a majority of the others with their "250 amp" and higher ratings. For example I have their 180 amp alternator on my Z06 with a relatively large pulley for high RPM use (8000+ rpm) with dual brushless fans, huge intercooler pump, and triple 525s and voltage stays around 13.5 at idle and does not sag at all at high RPM.
Same with my JS Alternator.
14.5 at idle with little loads.
13.5-6 at idle with the following running: dual coolant fans, trans cooler fan, electric water pump, air compressor, A2W pump and dual 450's.
I'll still see 13.5-6 at 7,500rpm as well.
When my Spal coolant fan isn't running I get back up to 14.1 volts, little bastard pulls a lot of power lol.
The JS unit doesn't require a smaller pulley for high rpm use, they actually use a smaller overdrive pulley and build them for high rpm use.
Really happy with it so far.
Miata khalifa (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Got some info. First off,,the two speeds works like I wanted it to. For some reason Testing with my scanner didn’t work the same as the programmed signals. Cool. I got it at 85% on low and 100% on high. high comes on at 198 and cuts off at 195.

I chased my tail for a while with an idle issue. Like said, my idle table is sensitive to changes because of a lack of resolution in my tables. Found out the fans pull alot less amps and require less idle air compensation. Heck, it idles at 13.2v with the ac on and headlights and stereo playing. Bout 13.4-13.6 at cruise. Used to be half a volt lower both ways. On high they sap up another .1v

today at lunch it was 96f (hot asf!) and I took a 40 minute nap in the car with the ac on, just idling. I woke up and temp was 206. Went get some food, while waiting, flashing and revealing it a few times, I saw 212. Easily would have been 221 before the fans in the same conditions. Add to it, I popped the hood and temp starting dropping. So now I need to plan on some hood vents or a vented hood if I want lower temps. But all in all, fans are doing good so far.
Old 08-15-2024, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 146 Likes on 116 Posts

Got some info. First off,,the two speeds works like I wanted it to. For some reason Testing with my scanner didn’t work the same as the programmed signals. Cool. I got it at 85% on low and 100% on high. high comes on at 198 and cuts off at 195.

I chased my tail for a while with an idle issue. Like said, my idle table is sensitive to changes because of a lack of resolution in my tables. Found out the fans pull alot less amps and require less idle air compensation. Heck, it idles at 13.2v with the ac on and headlights and stereo playing. Bout 13.4-13.6 at cruise. Used to be half a volt lower both ways. On high they sap up another .1v

today at lunch it was 96f (hot asf!) and I took a 40 minute nap in the car with the ac on, just idling. I woke up and temp was 206. Went get some food, while waiting, flashing and revealing it a few times, I saw 212. Easily would have been 221 before the fans in the same conditions. Add to it, I popped the hood and temp starting dropping. So now I need to plan on some hood vents or a vented hood if I want lower temps. But all in all, fans are doing good so far.
Under hood heat is a killer. I'm currently battling that in my 91 Z28. I bought these functional hood vents that replace the fake units on the hood. I'll get those installed when I finish my tour of work. I'm also doing a water pump and thermostat as well
Attached Thumbnails Proform brushless cooling fans?-screenshot_20240729-204026.png  
Kfxguy (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Under hood heat is a killer. I'm currently battling that in my 91 Z28. I bought these functional hood vents that replace the fake units on the hood. I'll get those installed when I finish my tour of work. I'm also doing a water pump and thermostat as well
im looking around. I don’t really want to buy a whole hood but here my dilemma: I have no room to store the hood that’s on my car, I don’t want to sell it and I’d really rather not cut it up. However, I’m more willing to cut it than spend $1500+ on the hood I want. If I don’t spend that, I’ll be settling. So either which way, I’m damned. I’m kinda ok with the stingray type vent but I may just do the side vents like some mustangs have.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnunez29
sick car. thing looks like a rocket.
Thank you sir! Can confirm it is 😂
Old 08-16-2024, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The ******
Skip Powermaster and contact JS Alternators.
I'm running their 320amp truck case alternator, and it puts out max voltage from idle to 9,000rpm.
High Output Alternators Built in USA | JS-Alternators – JS Alternators
Just looked at their 250a fbody style. That's pretty decently prices tbh.
The BallSS (08-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Proform brushless cooling fans?