Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Proform brushless cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 578 Likes on 448 Posts

I put it on a radiator, partially blocked the flow. Hooked a battery up to it with a charger to maintain it. Let it run about 10 minutes. Motor got barely warm. So then I decided to kick it up a notch. I have a badass bluepoint heat gun. I heated the motor up to 220f and it never cut off. Maybe it just takes longer than what I gave it. I’m probably going to install them tomorrow, I just welded the side tabs on and sanded it all down. Probably paint black because sanded aluminum gets dirty easy. I’ll report back when I get them installed, the 12” should be here tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2024, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

While I had it running, I looked up and noticed it was spinning my ceiling fan pretty fast. The ceiling fan was not turned on. Crazy

The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

12” one came in today. This fan is absolutely insane!

I mocked it up, had to make some changes to the plate but I Got them mounted. I have much more room now and it’s much easier to get in and out. I mounted the 16” on on the passenger side because more air can escape on that side vs the driver side. I have not cut the holes in the plate yet, I had to run to home dept and pick up some jigsaw blades for that. I’m also having a problem with wiring. I cannot figure out what wire I can use as a trigger. Originally I thought I could just make the low speed and high speed come on at the same time and just find 12v at the plug, but the fan plugs are three wires do it doesn’t work that way. I checked the relay terminals at the under hood fuse box. No luck. I then looked up a wiring diagram and it showed three relays in the circuit and I only see two. I really didn’t want to run a wire from the ecm if I didn’t have to, it’s inside the car. Ugh. I’ll have to do some more research.

Old 06-16-2024, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Finished. Got them installed. Figured out wiring. But the 16” cuts on and off. The 12” stays running. I’ll have to contact pro form tomorrow. Bummer.

Pro Stock John (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Miata khalifa
I feel you, I'm in SC. It's blazing hot here right now. They're about to recall all of them if I'm not mistaken. So I would just check back at the end of the month if you don't have issues before then. Assuming you only bench tested and haven't ran them on a hot radiator yet? That's when they shut off. Sales rep said they ran one for 8 hours straight but never tested them on a hot radiator. Which sounds kinda sus 🤷. Idk though. I asked about why the controller says pwm, if they're not pwm capable. He said he didn't know why that controller even says that on it because it just controls the duty cycle. I asked if I could still control it through the Holley, and he Said as long as it's over 110khertz it "should" work. I thought about the resistor thing too. Interested to see how that would work.

who have you been talking to over at proform? I’m gonna give them a call tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I spoke too soon. 12” is doing it too now. Ugh.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 474 Likes on 333 Posts

Getting to where you have to assume any brand new part is defective until proven otherwise.
Kfxguy (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
who have you been talking to over at proform? I’m gonna give them a call tomorrow.
Damn dude.. I was reading through the thread hoping you got lucky.. sorry I don't get on here too much. You can dm me on Instagram though @therealmiatakhalifa. I talked to Dennis. Pretty cool dude, he probably won't sound too thrilled when you talk to him at first though. He's literally getting the same phone call from all of us all day long.. I went ahead and sent my fans back the other day since summit takes a month to issue a refund 🙄. I'm sure you already experienced it yourself but, they would both work for a few minutes to half a minute depending on radiator temperature before cutting off. I ordered that controller from eBay but it's actually still sitting in my mailbox. Don't think I'll really need it for anything, but I got it cause it was only ten bucks, why not. When I talked to Dennis last week, he Said they pretty much had the solution figured out and was going to get the next shipment "air dropped" from China and hopefully would be by the end of the month. You know how that stuff goes though.. 🤞
Kfxguy (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 06:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

One thing I have learned about cooling, seems you can never predict if it's going to work, lol. Seen the most expensive setups run hot, the cheapest junk thrown together and cool. My Fairmont was running hot, both fans running it was holding at 218, driving might come down to 200. Had a cheap Be Cool Boneyard radiator (19 x 22 core), $90 Ebay Contour fans. I decided to change out the radiator since a couple cores had gotten smashed, changed out the WP since it was old, added a 160 thermostat, and replaced the orange antifreeze with the green. Now it runs 170 on the highway, at idle only needs one fan to control temps. No idea what made the big diff. I know on these cars with FMIC's, they do block a lot of air to the radiator, contributes to it. I made a small air dam that sits under mine, helps direct some air bet the IC'er and radiator.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn dude.. I was reading through the thread hoping you got lucky.. sorry I don't get on here too much. You can dm me on Instagram though @therealmiatakhalifa. I talked to Dennis. Pretty cool dude, he probably won't sound too thrilled when you talk to him at first though. He's literally getting the same phone call from all of us all day long.. I went ahead and sent my fans back the other day since summit takes a month to issue a refund 🙄. I'm sure you already experienced it yourself but, they would both work for a few minutes to half a minute depending on radiator temperature before cutting off. I ordered that controller from eBay but it's actually still sitting in my mailbox. Don't think I'll really need it for anything, but I got it cause it was only ten bucks, why not. When I talked to Dennis last week, he Said they pretty much had the solution figured out and was going to get the next shipment "air dropped" from China and hopefully would be by the end of the month. You know how that stuff goes though.. 🤞

I just called. He’s out till tomorrow. I’ll try him again. In the meantime I talked to the seller of the 16” and he said I can return it to him for a refund but I told him I’m going to wait till I talk to proform. The seller of the 12” hasn’t responded yet.
Old 06-18-2024, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Talked to Dennis this morning. He was pleasant to talk to, aware of the issue of course. He said they are a couple weeks out on having updated units. Took down my info and will send me a call tag when the new units arrive. Bad thing is I can't drive my car during the day until then. it still gets over 200 at night if I'm not moving. No driving it to work for sure. I was considering buying a flax a lite flex wave fan, the 16" flows 3000cfm vs 3400 for the proform. It would likely get the job done too. I'm just being impatient.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

200F at idle is not bad...
Old 06-18-2024, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Talked to Dennis this morning. He was pleasant to talk to, aware of the issue of course. He said they are a couple weeks out on having updated units. Took down my info and will send me a call tag when the new units arrive. Bad thing is I can't drive my car during the day until then. it still gets over 200 at night if I'm not moving. No driving it to work for sure. I was considering buying a flax a lite flex wave fan, the 16" flows 3000cfm vs 3400 for the proform. It would likely get the job done too. I'm just being impatient.

I feel you, I can't make it to sct in NC Thursday cause of this.. just wanna enjoy my car. My 200 dollar radiator worked fine, but now my 2500 dollar set up sucks lol.. of course mainly cause I moved it to the back. Heat wrapped the hot side today, just went for a cruise and don't see much of a difference really. Ready to have some air moving. Tempted to buy some expensive spals, but probably not even worth it.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
200F at idle is not bad...
it is when it’s nighttime, 79f. When it’s 95f during the day, it’s going to overheat.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

I feel you, I can't make it to sct in NC Thursday cause of this.. just wanna enjoy my car. My 200 dollar radiator worked fine, but now my 2500 dollar set up sucks lol.. of course mainly cause I moved it to the back. Heat wrapped the hot side today, just went for a cruise and don't see much of a difference really. Ready to have some air moving. Tempted to buy some expensive spals, but probably not even worth it.
what size do you have for fans? Check out the flex a lite wave fans. They move more air than a regular fan and they are not super expensive
Old 06-19-2024, 06:42 PM
Teching In

what size do you have for fans? Check out the flex a lite wave fans. They move more air than a regular fan and they are not super expensive
I have two spal 14" fans that came with my radiator. There the cheaper spals though. "1038 cfm" each. If I can find one I can get quick and return it I'll try it.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I have two spal 14" fans that came with my radiator. There the cheaper spals though. "1038 cfm" each. If I can find one I can get quick and return it I'll try it.
try Amazon. I’m about to order one in 16” just to see how it does. If if works good enough I’ll return the 16” brushless
Old 06-20-2024, 03:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

These are the fans I run I believe they are manufactured by spal but I'm not 100% sure. https://shop.brutespeed.com/ati-mf00...ati-mf007i-063

I use a 160 thermostat with fans on at 179. Car typically runs between 180 and 183. It doesn't get as hot up here and I'm Procharged so my under hood temps are super cool. I have a vented 05 hood and removed the seal at the back of the hood. I also make sure air is directed through the radiator and can't find a path around it. I wrap my headers and run e85 with meth injection. We had a 95-degree day this last week that was way above our norm for this time of year, so I went for a long highway drive. Couple 7200 rpm pulls then went right into town for some stop and go driving. I then let it sit running in my garage for a while. The hottest I could get it was 185. I've noticed my under hood temps are way cooler than my friend with a turbo. You can tell the difference is obvious just popping the hood after driving a while.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
These are the fans I run I believe they are manufactured by spal but I'm not 100% sure. https://shop.brutespeed.com/ati-mf00...ati-mf007i-063

I use a 160 thermostat with fans on at 179. Car typically runs between 180 and 183. It doesn't get as hot up here and I'm Procharged so my under hood temps are super cool. I have a vented 05 hood and removed the seal at the back of the hood. I also make sure air is directed through the radiator and can't find a path around it. I wrap my headers and run e85 with meth injection. We had a 95-degree day this last week that was way above our norm for this time of year, so I went for a long highway drive. Couple 7200 rpm pulls then went right into town for some stop and go driving. I then let it sit running in my garage for a while. The hottest I could get it was 185. I've noticed my under hood temps are way cooler than my friend with a turbo. You can tell the difference is obvious just popping the hood after driving a while.

that whole assembly with shroud and two fans is only $170???? No frigging way. Ida bought that long ago had I known about it.

edit. I think that’s just the fan. The shroud bare is $219 which still isn’t a bad deal.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 06-20-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Those fans are in fact SPAL, I had a set on my PC'd GTO which came from Bob with their overpriced shroud.

Really surprised to see Miata having issues with SPAl, but I'm curious what ya mean by the cheaper? Non brushless?

Quick Reply: Proform brushless cooling fans?