Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Proform brushless cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 582 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
Those fans are in fact SPAL, I had a set on my PC'd GTO which came from Bob with their overpriced shroud.

Really surprised to see Miata having issues with SPAl, but I'm curious what ya mean by the cheaper? Non brushless?
if your asking me about cheaper,

I ordered a flexalite 236 which is a 16” non brushless fan, costs $120 and is rated at 2660cfm (vs 3400 for the preform brushless I have that I’m having problems with).
then there’s a flexalite 238 which is 16”, rated at 3000cfm and is about $190. It’s non brushless too. I’m trying the 2660cfm one first. It pulls less amps. The pro form is 20 something amps and my voltage at idle (with the 12” already running) is 13.2v, when the 16” come on, it drops to 12.7v. It does have soft start so I see it slowly drop until the fan levels off and then it ends up at 12.7v.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
that whole assembly with shroud and two fans is only $170???? No frigging way. Ida bought that long ago had I known about it.

edit. I think that’s just the fan. The shroud bare is $219 which still isn’t a bad deal.
I'd make your own shroud. Cheaper and you can make sure it fits the way you want with your combo. Mine came with the procharger kit when I originally bought it. I modified the shroud which put the fans closer to the radiator, but the reason was to create room to run a larger crank pulley.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I'd make your own shroud. Cheaper and you can make sure it fits the way you want with your combo. Mine came with the procharger kit when I originally bought it. I modified the shroud which put the fans closer to the radiator, but the reason was to create room to run a larger crank pulley.
See post #43 and #44.......
Old 06-21-2024, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

See post #43 and #44.......
Yep I saw those posts that is why I knew you were capable of making your own shroud. I meant even if you bought the spal that procharger uses on their kits you should make a custom shroud for that fan if needed rather than use the one they make.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Yep I saw those posts that is why I knew you were capable of making your own shroud. I meant even if you bought the spal that procharger uses on their kits you should make a custom shroud for that fan if needed rather than use the one they make.
yea, I’ve been needing fans for about three years now. I’ve had the sheet metal to do it before I even needed them. Just didn’t feel like doing it and I thought the only thing worth buying, fans wise, was the delta pag. They would cost me around a grand and I just wasn’t willing to spend that. Seeing the shroud you posted probably would have prompted me to do it sooner, because of the building of it. Just did have the time or drive to do it. I probably would have just bought that one and tried fans until I found some that get the job done. What I ended up doing is probably better anyways. I have a 16” and a 12” instead of 16” and 8”. My 12” fan almost does the job by itself, 2100cfm.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I got the flex lite in. It does not blow near the air that the proform does. It’s lucky if it’s HALF the airflow and does not suck through a radiator with authority like the proform does. I was still going to install it except that it’s about an inch bigger in diameter. It’s a lot quieter tho. The proform is so powerful that it sounds scary. Like it’s gonna suck your fingers in there. The flexalite is ho hum.
Old 06-22-2024, 06:12 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Unlike the proform, it works though
Old 06-24-2024, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Unlike the proform, it works though

you right, but it’s super weak. It’s not worth the trouble of installing it to be honest. I seriously doubt it’ll do the job.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

you right, but it’s super weak. It’s not worth the trouble of installing it to be honest. I seriously doubt it’ll do the job.
I've got the Flex a lite 239 pusher fan in my car and it seems to do a good job. It's currently working harder than it needs to because my air dam is toast but once the new one goes on it should be good to go
Old 06-24-2024, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
I've got the Flex a lite 239 pusher fan in my car and it seems to do a good job. It's currently working harder than it needs to because my air dam is toast but once the new one goes on it should be good to go
The 239m pusher is rated at 3000cfm. Its should be stronger than the one I just tried at 2660CFM.....although I find it hard to believe its actually 2660cfm.... its pretty weak in comparison to even my 12" which is 2100cfm.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

they sell a separate controller that will vary the speed if you desire. They are also soft start. Doesn’t really defeat the whole purpose of a brushless setup.

me having been into RC vehicles and into brushless technology, I can tell you with certainty that the main benefit is far more power output while using less amps and a motor that essentially never wears out, there’s no brushes to wear and the motor doesn’t get weaker over time like a brushed motor does.

and get this: the controller is like $43!

https://www.proformparts.com/product...fan-controller

edit: I see where it’s a manual controller. But the fans are pwm capable when using the third wire.
same with RC cars, brushless is the way to go except the do wear out. They overheat and delaminate which is always the issue and why we gotta run fans and track temps.

I also do find they get weaker as the heat weakens the magnets. Since these are fans I’d be worried about heat soak from the rad and engine.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run the derale dual fan kits (they use SPAL fans)with shroud and a Flexalite variable speed controller with soft start. No issues keeping a 5.3 turbo with front crossover cool. I also run a LS flowkooler pump and doesn’t get over 187*F in 90+ hot humid days. The variable speed controller can handle 60 continuous amps and its solid state with adjustable temp and comes with screw in probe or rad probe. U can control it with ground or positive triggers if u don’t want to run the variable speed. If u use the ECM ground triggers it’s still soft start but goes to 60% on low and high is 100%. Built into the controller is a 30s cool down after key off and on startup it doesn’t kick on for like 15s so you don’t drain the battery while cranking. It’s my go two and run it on two LS swaps no issues.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I run the derale dual fan kits (they use SPAL fans)with shroud and a Flexalite variable speed controller with soft start. No issues keeping a 5.3 turbo with front crossover cool. I also run a LS flowkooler pump and doesn’t get over 187*F in 90+ hot humid days. The variable speed controller can handle 60 continuous amps and its solid state with adjustable temp and comes with screw in probe or rad probe. U can control it with ground or positive triggers if u don’t want to run the variable speed. If u use the ECM ground triggers it’s still soft start but goes to 60% on low and high is 100%. Built into the controller is a 30s cool down after key off and on startup it doesn’t kick on for like 15s so you don’t drain the battery while cranking. It’s my go two and run it on two LS swaps no issues.

I was reading about water pumps the other day and read where the consensus was flow cooler pumps were not good or reliable. I do feel like I need a little more water flow because if I raise the rpm at idle some, the temp will come down a couple to a few degrees. My theory is:
1) I have an underdrive pulley on the crank
2) my idle rpm isn’t much higher than stock because the cam I have isn’t big so it doesn’t need to idle higher
3) I have a bigger capacity aluminum radiator and maybe the original 2004 stock pump just doesn’t flow enough plus the two reasons above
Old 06-24-2024, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was reading about water pumps the other day and read where the consensus was flow cooler pumps were not good or reliable. I do feel like I need a little more water flow because if I raise the rpm at idle some, the temp will come down a couple to a few degrees. My theory is:
1) I have an underdrive pulley on the crank
2) my idle rpm isn’t much higher than stock because the cam I have isn’t big so it doesn’t need to idle higher
3) I have a bigger capacity aluminum radiator and maybe the original 2004 stock pump just doesn’t flow enough plus the two reasons above

idk why they aren’t. Mine is prob 7+ years old. It comes with a billet impeller that supposedly doubles flow at idle and low but doesn’t cavitate at higher rpm’s like stock. Mine has been problem free and the turbo 5.3 runs cooler than the 5.3 in the vette which has a large 2 core rad and brand new LS3 Camaro waterpump with aftermarket 160 Tstat. That engine at idle the temp increases to 198-199 at idle and as soon as it give it rpm the temps drop to high 180s. The 5.3 turbo with flowkooler pump idles the same temp and doesn’t increase while sitting still. That also has a big afco racing 31x19 two core rad and 160 Tstat. My experience has been the opposite. The racing world says push as much water as you can as fast as you can to lower the delta T in the system. A larger rad provides more fluid but more surface area and max out the airflow. It has worked for me!

5.3 turbo is 700-750 rpm idle
5.3 ls3 pump 600-650 rpm idle

underdrives do no good at all except maybe save the alternator if your spinning dumb high.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

idk why they aren’t. Mine is prob 7+ years old. It comes with a billet impeller that supposedly doubles flow at idle and low but doesn’t cavitate at higher rpm’s like stock. Mine has been problem free and the turbo 5.3 runs cooler than the 5.3 in the vette which has a large 2 core rad and brand new LS3 Camaro waterpump with aftermarket 160 Tstat. That engine at idle the temp increases to 198-199 at idle and as soon as it give it rpm the temps drop to high 180s. The 5.3 turbo with flowkooler pump idles the same temp and doesn’t increase while sitting still. That also has a big afco racing 31x19 two core rad and 160 Tstat. My experience has been the opposite. The racing world says push as much water as you can as fast as you can to lower the delta T in the system. A larger rad provides more fluid but more surface area and max out the airflow. It has worked for me!

5.3 turbo is 700-750 rpm idle
5.3 ls3 pump 600-650 rpm idle

underdrives do no good at all except maybe save the alternator if your spinning dumb high.
good info, thanks. I’m going to look into that pump.
I don’t really WANT the underdrive but I have no choice because my drain line is in the front cover and the stock pulley would hit my drain line.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasnt sure where to put this as I didn't see a cooling section..... feel free to move it if i missed it.....

Being I'm turboed, i've been running into "overheating" problems down here in the south during the summer. I say "overheating" because it runs warmer than I like, I've seen 220ish.... not cool. No pun intended.

I Built an aluminum shroud to house the fans, but I wasnt sure what route I wanted to take. I know I want brushless fans but the only thing I saw that looked good was the Deltapag fans, but it would cost me a grand or more for two fans. I don't have that kind of extra cash for those so I was thinking about buying one flex a lite 238 (16" 3000cfm $169) and a deltapag 12" with controller (2100cfm $469 yikes). I accidently came across the Proform brushless fans, but they are too new to find any feedback or reviews on them. Just wondering if any of you guys have tried them yet, Or am I gonna be the guinea pig?

https://www.proformparts.com/brushless
Hey Kfxguy,

Please note the DeltaPAG $469 price tag includes a digital temp/speed controller, dual 70amp panasonic waterproof relay/fuse module, sensor & 3ft waterproof wire harness and the fan & ECM. It's really an amazing deal considering what you're getting. Also, you only need one controller to operate multiple fans so the second fan would be $100 cheaper. Yeah, brushless fans and variable speed is like french fries and ketchup... there's no point of one without the other.

The following 4 users liked this post by DeltaPAG:
ALL ULL C (07-02-2024), G Atsma (07-01-2024), Kfxguy (07-02-2024), The BallSS (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeltaPAG
Hey Kfxguy,

Please note the DeltaPAG $469 price tag includes a digital temp/speed controller, dual 70amp panasonic waterproof relay/fuse module, sensor & 3ft waterproof wire harness and the fan & ECM. It's really an amazing deal considering what you're getting. Also, you only need one controller to operate multiple fans so the second fan would be $100 cheaper. Yeah, brushless fans and variable speed is like french fries and ketchup... there's no point of one without the other.

I looked at these a long time ago as they have been around a while. Always weirded me out how small the center was.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Hey Kfxguy,

How well do these fans work??
Old 07-02-2024, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at these a long time ago as they have been around a while. Always weirded me out how small the center was.
Yeah, the motor is only 3" in diameter. This was intentionally designed that way to make the blade area larger and also doesnt block a bunch of ram air. Basically the fan doesnt get in its own way. This is done by using better motor materials and not housing electronics in the motor. Housing electrionics in the motor is kinda stupid. This technology is what makes Delta PAG far superior than all other fans

Last edited by DeltaPAG; 07-02-2024 at 09:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The BallSS (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 526 Likes on 408 Posts

Hey Kfxguy,

That's a sharp looking setup.
The fan leads look nice and thick which makes me happy having melted wires with the Derale fans lol.

Quick Reply: Proform brushless cooling fans?