Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Proform brushless cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 657 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I have two of the delta pag 12” should arrive early next week. Based on their drawings it’s a thinner fan than a spal.
based on this thread I didn’t even look at the pro forms because it’s a customer car and needs to actually work reliably.
im really looking forward to being able to try them first hand.
how do you know they are going to work reliably? Have you tried them before?
Old 08-01-2024, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 607 Likes on 444 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don’t know yet but the pro forms are proven not to as you found.
the deltapag has an external fan controller so hopefully it’s at least fixable if that fails. I also couldn’t find anyone complaining about them and they have been around for a few years.
Plus they are made in USA instead of a China which I can’t always do but I prefer to when possible.
Old 08-01-2024, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts

the deltapag has an external fan controller so hopefully it’s at least fixable if that fails. I also couldn’t find anyone complaining about them and they have been around for a few years.
Plus they are made in USA instead of a China which I can’t always do but I prefer to when possible.
Hmm I'd also find it hard to find any complaints when you can't really find anybody using this stuff. Hopefully it's worth the money. If so then I'd most likely buy up a couple myself
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Hmm I'd also find it hard to find any complaints when you can't really find anybody using this stuff. Hopefully it's worth the money. If so then I'd most likely buy up a couple myself
you beat me to it! lol
Old 08-01-2024, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

well in proforms defense, it was the first run of a new product, problems sometimes arise in a totally new product. At least they recognized it and made changes and sent out replacements. I’m gonna give them a shot. If it doesn’t work out, I didn’t lose anything.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
you beat me to it! lol
Hahaha! Well c'mon man of course you're not gonna find complaints when nobody is using this stuff. I wish him the best with it tho
Kfxguy (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

Update:

I just got a call from proform and the replacement fans are on the way to me. I’ve been driving the car everyday so I have a good feel of how it does in the heat. I think the water pump actually helped a little bit, it has seen the max of 212 in bumper to bumper traffic but typically on a hot day of 95fcand humid, it’ll see a max of 208.
I heard back from deltapag once, he was supposed to email me an invoice but I never heard back after that, so I guess he forgot about me. I guess it works out because I had a front tire separate on me so I had to buy new tires.

when I get the fans put in, I’ll let you guys know how it goes.
I'm sure the pump did help, with my stock LS3 pump temps will rise at idle but as soon as I give it a little more RPM even like 1200rpms the temp drops like 5-10*F immediately even if I'm only going 5mph. The flowkooler should be putting out more flow at idle and low rpm than stock so your benefiting there. I would do the same thing but no one offers a HV LS3 style mechanical pump. I think once you get alittle more airflow your gona be golden.
Old 08-06-2024, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

They at least have a lot more blade area than what I’m taking off.
I ran one on a battery and it moves quite a bit of air. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrendSetter:
customblackbird (08-06-2024), Kfxguy (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran one on a battery and it moves quite a bit of air. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

the amount of air a brushless fan moves compared to a normal fan is quite a huge difference. At least when comparing the proforms to regular fans. It’s substantial.
Old 08-09-2024, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

How did the Delta pag fans work out for you?? Do they move as much air as they claim?? Did you get pusher or puller fans??
Old 08-09-2024, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

they move a lot of air for sure.
im installing them on a car with a holley sniper and i didnt realize until it was all ready to go that snipers dont do pwm- output. so i used the gray box pwm generator to get the thing up and going and test performance. all the rest of the wiring was done, individual relays and fuses for each fan, tefzel wiring, etc. running at 80% i had one die after about 15 minutes of running. it blows the fuse immediately so the controller internally shorted out. im sending it in for diagnostics. the controller supposedly has datalogging.
they said its my fault and blamed my wiring. i had to replace the fan controller ($140) and buy their standalone controller ($100).
Im not planning to use them again.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

im installing them on a car with a holley sniper and i didnt realize until it was all ready to go that snipers dont do pwm- output. so i used the gray box pwm generator to get the thing up and going and test performance. all the rest of the wiring was done, individual relays and fuses for each fan, tefzel wiring, etc. running at 80% i had one die after about 15 minutes of running. it blows the fuse immediately so the controller internally shorted out. im sending it in for diagnostics. the controller supposedly has datalogging.
they said its my fault and blamed my wiring. i had to replace the fan controller ($140) and buy their standalone controller ($100).
Oh yea of course they'd blame your wiring. Oldest trick in the book. Hmm seems like there's too many potential failure points. They should have kept it simple like every other fan on the face of the planet
Kfxguy (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

looks like I dodged an expensive bullet!
Old 08-09-2024, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

What threw up a red flag for me was on their website they state it’s a good idea to keep an extra $150 module in your glovebox. Wut?!?!?
Old 08-09-2024, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

looks like I dodged an expensive bullet!
Yea man definitely dodged a bullet! The actual fan design looks really nice but all the other electronic **** that goes with it is just stupid. If it doesn't have just positive and negative leads I don't want it
Kfxguy (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

im always on the lookout for high quality usa made products and this one really disappointed me. the fans are really nice, compact, and move a lot of air though. based on the published dimensions of the spal fans i considered, they wouldnt have fit where these ones did.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

What threw up a red flag for me was on their website they state it’s a good idea to keep an extra $150 module in your glovebox. Wut?!?!?
i keep a spare connecting rod in my trunk at all times
Kfxguy (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Yea man definitely dodged a bullet! The actual fan design looks really nice but all the other electronic **** that goes with it is just stupid. If it doesn't have just positive and negative leads I don't want it
they have a published diagram that allows for this and just runs the fan at 100% which is is around 20a. but there were several additional caveats that made for a bit of a clunky experience relative to the ford fusion brushed controller i use on my wagon.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You are talking about the Deltapag fan controller correct? I was considering this route for my build without the controller as I'll be using a Dominator to control in lieu of their electronics. Otherwise I'll just go OEM/SPAL brushless off of a newer model vehicle.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
I'll just go OEM/SPAL brushless off of a newer model vehicle.
This is exactly what you should do.
Kfxguy (08-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Proform brushless cooling fans?