Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount Intercooler install DONE! "FMIC"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, got some more space for the beginning of the install pic's enjoy while you can, since I don't know if I will need it for anything else.

*Pics down for good you want em, email me*
And there you have it complete from the beginning to the end but in reverse order.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 08-15-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT JOB!!!

Very Very well done!! Nice and clean!

Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Chris When are you coming back to the FI scene, I remember those ol PD days
Old 08-03-2004, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool i hope these pics are up this evening.... i want to save them to my girls computer..... mine has some wierd buting virus or some crap..........
Kyle
Old 08-03-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Thanks Chris When are you coming back to the FI scene, I remember those ol PD days
hehe I have thought about it more than once

In a couple of years I might consider it again

(D1SC, steel bracket, bigarse FMIC and the biggest injectors I can run on a stock PCM)
Old 08-03-2004, 12:32 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Mark what size blower pulley did u go with?? 408 right?
Thanks Kyle

Yes 408.....3.4 Pulley. After my conversation with Scott I didn't want to get anymore aggressive since I was not going to get a FMIC.

Mark
Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 PM
8 second mod

Looks sweet, the only problem is that ugly *** nose suport that coes from the fatory all grey/black/brown!! take that **** off, sand it, clean it, spray it gloss black! What a differance!! it made a huge under hood aperance statment with my car! hehe
other then that, sweet deal.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Brad I will see what I can do with it lol.
Chris, Good to know, but I would do a turbo if I had it all to do over again
Mark 3.4 pulley huh, that kicks me in the ***** even harder. Why the hell can't I make boost with this damn D1-SC I have it around 18 on the tensioner too

Well I took her to the gas station today to get 4.75 gallons for 10 bucks I should have just waited for friday so I could fill up with race gas, since it almost cost the same now lol. I didn't get any IAT's due to a locked up laptop but my a/f is settling around 15.5-1 at idle now, I guess it has to relearn everything after a week of the battery being disconnected.
I'll say this with confidence right now, the car takes off much more aggressively than it did with the twin IC's if I give it a touch of gas right off a roll from a stop My girlfriend said the car felt stronger off the line than before so hopefully two butt dyno's are telling us the right thing. As for boost, still haven't WOT it yet and my crappy digital gauge isn't displaying anything right now The autometer is on the install list for tomorrow
J
Old 08-03-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Thanks Brad I will see what I can do with it lol.
Chris, Good to know, but I would do a turbo if I had it all to do over again
Mark 3.4 pulley huh, that kicks me in the ***** even harder. Why the hell can't I make boost with this damn D1-SC I have it around 18 on the tensioner too

Well I took her to the gas station today to get 4.75 gallons for 10 bucks I should have just waited for friday so I could fill up with race gas, since it almost cost the same now lol. I didn't get any IAT's due to a locked up laptop but my a/f is settling around 15.5-1 at idle now, I guess it has to relearn everything after a week of the battery being disconnected.
I'll say this with confidence right now, the car takes off much more aggressively than it did with the twin IC's if I give it a touch of gas right off a roll from a stop My girlfriend said the car felt stronger off the line than before so hopefully two butt dyno's are telling us the right thing. As for boost, still haven't WOT it yet and my crappy digital gauge isn't displaying anything right now The autometer is on the install list for tomorrow
J

Jer,

Damn man..... shitty *** electronic gauge. I want to know if you picked up any boost. Mine will be here on Thurs. I keep seeing 6-7 psi solid and i hope that i can see what i want with a 3.4" pulley but we will see when Bos gets his FMIC installed with a 3.2" pulley.

Kyle
Old 08-03-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very very nice. Clean too. That is exactly what I had planned from day 1 after buying Brad's old setup. Just don't have the funds/equipment to do it right this minute -- maybe in a few months.

Thanks for doing it though so I can see what it looks like Now to photoshop the car to Black so I know exactly what it will look like - ha.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 AM
8 second mod

No prob,
Classic, that would be MINT!!!!! thats what the ic on that kit needs!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Up and pics restored for Austin, here you go
Old 08-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Teching In

I hate to possibly bring bad news but you might be loosing some boost with that intercooler. I first too looked into that exact one on Ebay that price of $275 is a nice turn on but if you talk to people at ATI or vortech they will tell you the wrongs of that unit.

You are pushing air across a unit that has a core length of 24 inches. That is a large area to push across without slowing down the volume of air or velocity.

Now if you look at the ATI 3 core race or 3 core unit you will see that the core is 27 inches long but they are pushing the air across the fins that is only 6 inches tall so you do not have any noticeable looses. It flows into the end tanks first and then distributes air across the shorter route. Each unit in the pics have a core that is only 6 inches tall nothing close to the 24 inches that you are encountering.

http://www.procharger.com/intercoolers.shtml

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by LJ93Z28GM
I hate to possibly bring bad news but you might be loosing some boost with that intercooler. I first too looked into that exact one on Ebay that price of $275 is a nice turn on but if you talk to people at ATI or vortech they will tell you the wrongs of that unit.

You are pushing air across a unit that has a core length of 24 inches. That is a large area to push across without slowing down the volume of air or velocity.

Now if you look at the ATI 3 core race or 3 core unit you will see that the core is 27 inches long but they are pushing the air across the fins that is only 6 inches tall so you do not have any noticeable looses. It flows into the end tanks first and then distributes air across the shorter route. Each unit in the pics have a core that is only 6 inches tall nothing close to the 24 inches that you are encountering.

http://www.procharger.com/intercoolers.shtml

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/201170-did-some-logging-fmic-few-questions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=intercooler

Check out these threads.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Personally I cannot say that the twin hi flow really do the job well, I will not place them on my car. Too much tubing, dividing the air flow and brining it back together.

It still comes down to temp change before and after the intercooler and how much boost we are seeing on the gauge. Black Blown 02's new unit is much longer overall but is using the other desig that I stated could be hindering results. If you look at the two units and think common sense about which will be more restrictive it is obvious. Look and the race units you see on full out race cars. If I could get away with using the unit that force fed used I would since it is cheaper and readily available on ebay, I am just waiting to see how it comes out with track times and what his new gauge will read.

I will be the first to admit if I am wrong, hopefully I am for his sake since he spent time on his current setup and I could use the same FMIC on my car. I like seeing a do it yourself guy get something done cheaper and prove others wrong, I am the same as him. Either way I am not using any ATI intercooler, I am going with a custom FMIC as well unless the one force fed works well.

Last edited by LJ93Z28GM; 08-15-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Personally I cannot say that the twin hi flow really do the job well, I will not place them on my car. Too much tubing, dividing the air flow and brining it back together.

It still comes down to temp change before and after the intercooler and how much boost we are seeing on the gauge. I cannot say which intercooler Black Blown 02 is running since it does not state what he changed to or from.

If you look at the two units and think common sense about which will be more restrictive it is obvious. Look and the race units you see on full out race cars. If I could get away with using the unit that force fed used I would since it is cheaper and readily available on ebay, I am just waiting to see how it comes out with track times and what his new gauge will read.

I will be the first to admit if I am wrong, hopefully I am for his sake since he spent time on his current setup and I could use the same FMIC on my car. I like seeing a do it yourself guy get something done cheaper and prove others wrong, I am the same as him.
I went from an 18 X 6 X 3 ATI single to a 20 X 14 X 4 Griffin. I saw only 1psi more boost, but over 10lb/min at high rpm. The air was so much cooler that boost didn't raise as much as flow did.

The problem with only 6" of air travel through a core is not very much time to cool the air down. From what I've read, ATI cores have high density turbulators that are more restrictive than the low density turbulators like the Griffin I got.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Teching In

The surface increase on his intercooler was from 324 to 1120 if you figure out sq inch of area. So yes it should cool better but I am unsure of the airflow volume change

If you take a look on http://www.bellintercoolers.com/Pages/core.asp page of cores or assemblies it state the CFM that units are capable of flowing.

If you look at his old ATI intercooler it should flow 590 (part number 300184060), his new unit they do not have an exact core the same thickness so being conservative on my part we will give him a thicker core 4.5" but decrease length a little bit ( part number 450139180) it flows 550. So to overcome the decrease in flow we have to increase the size alot. He was able to since he has more room on his truck setup.

If you look at a unit that is forcing air across a 6 inch tall unit that is 24 inches long and 3 inches thick it can flow 770cfm. ( part number 300240060)

If you take a unit that is forcing air across 24 inches and is 6.20 inches tall and 3 inches thick the air flow is 156 cfm, that is a very large decrease. I am sure temps are dropping more since air is spending more time in the bar and fins but is it compromising flow to the engine. ( part number 300062240)

I tired contacting ATI on my blower and asking how much max CFM I would need for my setup and they could not tell me how much the intercooler needed to flow. The only thing they could tell me is how much my blower created.

Not to sure if everyone followed all that but I am trying to make it easy and non biased by a completely different manufactor.

Last edited by LJ93Z28GM; 08-15-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Too much thinking going on here, there is no speculation on if this intercooler will work better than the twins or not. With the same edit file that I was using for the twins, my car pulled a better 1/8 and 1/4mi time with this intercooler in conditions that were way worse than the chilly November air that I acheived my last best time in. WOT IAT's went down from a nice 25 deg's in summer conditions. The placement of the intercooler, size of the FMIC and size, construction of the IC pipes all help gain over the CRAPPY ATI TWIN CORES. With ATI you have @12ft of 2.5inch IC routing, most of it radiator hoses that aren't the best at getting boost to the engine, then you have the plenum, which was a turbulence box, ATI could have done this better, and the small inadequate twin intercoolers, this of course on the F-body kit.

Don't let the price **** you up, this intercooler normally sells for 500-600 bucks(I paid 530 shipped), but the market was recently flooded with them, the reason you see them selling for 275 on ebay from about 10 different vendors. I had no control over this, but let this FMIC's specs speak for themselves
.2psi loss at 15psi, and 1000cfm, supports 800hp= perfect for my application. IF you need a name brand and a big price tag go for it, get a griffin or a bell or a precision core, or wait for the price to go back up on this one.

With this FMIC I could fit 3 ATI twin cores across it and have a lot of core left on the FMIC to make up for the thickness. It is the same bar and plate design with better cast tanks instead of those sheetmetal tanks of the ATI. Specs on this core are 23x12x3

Like I said don't let price mess you up, spend as much as you want or need to. I wasn't maxing my 42.5lb injectors with the twin ATI's and the same tune. I now max them at 6000rpm with the same tune, same SDCE set up same everything. Guess I gained some power huh?
J
Old 08-15-2004, 12:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The surface increase on his intercooler was from 324 to 1120 if you figure out sq inch of area. So yes it should cool better but I am unsure of the airflow volume change

If you take a look on http://www.bellintercoolers.com/Pages/core.asp page of cores or assemblies it state the CFM that units are capable of flowing.

If you look at his old ATI intercooler it should flow 590 (part number 300184060), his new unit they do not have an exact core the same thickness so being conservative on my part we will give him a thicker core 4.5" but decrease length a little bit ( part number 450139180) it flows 550. So to overcome the decrease in flow we have to increase the size alot. He was able to since he has more room on his truck setup.

If you look at a unit that is forcing air across a 6 inch tall unit that is 24 inches long and 3 inches thick it can flow 770cfm. ( part number 300240060)

If you take a unit that is forcing air across 24 inches and is 6.20 inches tall and 3 inches thick the air flow is 156 cfm, that is a very large decrease. I am sure temps are dropping more since air is spending more time in the bar and fins but is it compromising flow to the engine. ( part number 300062240)

I tired contacting ATI on my blower and asking how much max CFM I would need for my setup and they could not tell me how much the intercooler needed to flow. The only thing they could tell me is how much my blower created.

Not to sure if everyone followed all that but I am trying to make it easy and non biased by a completely different manufactor.
So you're saying my new intercooler flows less than my old intercooler? Did I follow that correctly?

I think you may be missing something with your figures. My new Griffin flows 1700cfm.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Get an intercooler that is rate for your power level. Or go a little bigger. ATI twins are good for a bolton racer. The next step is the FMIC.

Quick Reply: Front Mount Intercooler install DONE! "FMIC"