Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

very, very nice turbo setup on camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman
I am not coming within 100' of a 93 RX-7 from now on... Unless it's on my Blackbird...
Then I will give you a run for your money.
Sad thing is that I'm still not sure if I will win
AND IMO... anyone that can shove a LS1 into an RX-7... you graduate with honors.
lol. It's hard to say. I hate to make any claims while the car is still on jackstands.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Clipper

what's the race weight ?? I'd like to see it go down the 1320 on a 200 shot.
It weighed in at 2700lbs after the swap. Full interior.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:26 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

With a plate like that you better have one huge set of *****!

That 5 psi comment got me thinking.

Is 5 psi 5 psi on any ls1?

So if I have ported heads that 5 psi will give the same amount of power? If I have truck iron 6.0 heads (very restrictive) and my boost is 5 psi, will that be the same amount of power?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They say in advertising that if you want someone to remember something... repeat, repeat, repeat... Obviously I haven't said it enough times.
So lets try one more time, shall we?

Now repeat after me...I have stated 4 times "where and how this kit fits in the scheme of things" in this thread alone.
And no one has invalidated any of my points yet with actual FACTS..

Show me a head and cam combo that makes 415HP that is Street Legal AND will pass California emissions.

Show me a F/I kit that will make 5psi at this price.

MM... I truly respect what you and Rob and Harlan do with your cars...
This kit is just coming from a different direction.

Last edited by Wildman; 09-03-2004 at 01:40 PM. Reason: I was being abbrasive and it is uncalled for
Old 09-03-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
1point3liter,

I understand exactly where you are coming from an agree on almost all points. I never said that the STS kit would be as effcient as a front mount but that it didn't seem to be that far off the mark is all. Also I doub't the BIG #s will come form this kit but it all depends one what considers big. Anything over 600rwhp that is SOLID and not a spike for 200rpm and drops like a rock is big IMO. I think that is doable with this kit but 800+rwhp may be a bit trickier and I doubt we will see it anytime soon simply because anyone with the cash flow to do that kind of setup is just going to buy a tried and ture turbo kit becuase taking chances with that much money plain sucks. LOL

I think it's an interesting setup for the price. I just hopped into the debate since there were some stupid claims on both sides. That and I needed a break from all this hurricane craziness.

I don't have anything real problem with the kit; I just don't see the point in spending a bit less for a kit that is obviously less efficient if you plan on making a lot of power. You'll end up putting a lot more money into a kit that won't work as well as another more efficient kit. If you just want 400+ at the tires that is supposedly cab legal, it doesn't sound too bad.

Btw. I was reading turbo magazine's write-up; "Emerging Technology: Remote Muffler-Mount Turbos". The article mentions how the boost gauge was refferencing pressure from the turbo not the intake manifold. Is this how you guys are setup??
Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1point3liter
lol. It's hard to say. I hate to make any claims while the car is still on jackstands.
My car... or your car (on jackstands)??
Old 09-03-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I think that is doable with this kit but 800+rwhp may be a bit trickier and I doubt we will see it anytime soon simply because anyone with the cash flow to do that kind of setup is just going to buy a tried and ture turbo kit becuase taking chances with that much money plain sucks. LOL
We wouldn't have found the opposite side of the globe if someone didn't go exploring. Someone should try and make 800rwhp with the STS setup. If it is done cheaper and more efficiently than a conventional kit, I'll gladly admit that I am wrong and that rear mount turbos ARE indeed the chrome *****.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

My car... or your car (on jackstands)??
lol. I really try to keep quiet while the car is apart, but when someone rags on your track numbers it's hard.

I honestly hope your setup works out. are you on aim?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1point3liter
lol. I really try to keep quiet while the car is apart, but when someone rags on your track numbers it's hard.

I honestly hope your setup works out. are you on aim?
No AIM... LOL... and all this confusion, I didn't realize someone ragged on your times.

I am sure I will be happy with my results. I believe that with my setup, that I will be able to pass emissions still but will have to find someone that will look the other way for the visual.

If you can kill a CBR1100XX Blackbird... you definately have my respect.

Whats funny about your plate, is that I was trying to get a CALI plate that said SNAKLLR but the DMV said it wasnt PC...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

No... LOL... and all this confusion, I didn't relize someone ragged on your times.

I am sure I will be happy with my results. I believe that with my setup, that I will be able to pass emissions still but will have to find someone that will look the other way for the visual.

If you can kill a CBR1100XX Blackbird... you definately have my respect.

Whats funny about your plate, is that I was trying to get a CALI plate that said SNAKLLR but the DMV said it wasnt PC...
lol.. and even funnier for you mention that.

MeanLT1Fbody (2:25:35 PM): Hehm I see they let you have Bike Killer. Funny thing is My friend tried to get ls1 klr and they wouldnt let him have it b/c of the klr part of it.
MeanLT1Fbody (2:25:52 PM): i guess it depends on who you know?
bryan10m (2:27:15 PM): it's because the DMV knows nothing can kill a ls1
MeanLT1Fbody (2:27:24 PM): lol
MeanLT1Fbody (2:27:54 PM): I just thought it was funney that you got yours with no questions asked he coulndt get his
MeanLT1Fbody (2:28:03 PM): thought that was weird
MeanLT1Fbody (2:28:07 PM): and cruel
MeanLT1Fbody (2:28:08 PM): lol
MeanLT1Fbody (2:29:06 PM): He also tried to get ls what and they denied him that as well
MeanLT1Fbody (2:29:12 PM): Im starying to think your right

Anyway.. the only thing my car is killing at the moment is my wallet so I don't believe you have much to worry about.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z98

So if I have ported heads that 5 psi will give the same amount of power? If I have truck iron 6.0 heads (very restrictive) and my boost is 5 psi, will that be the same amount of power?
5 psi is 5 psi, no matter where the compressor is placed. psi is how much the air is compressed. if you took 2 exact same engines and had 5psi from a front mount or 5psi from a rearmount are you saying the rear mount would make worse numbers? same air in + same air out = same power produced. for a blow its a little different because youre using power off the crank to drive it but 5psi will still move the same amount of air and produce the same amount of base power(before blower losses) as a turbo.
i noticed there was a post about another thread which explains this topic very well. do you have a link? i would be very interested in reading it.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Launching!

I'm amazed this thread is still going. Anyway, I do believe 800 hp is attainable with a rear mounted turbo. However, logic and physics prevent the STS kit in it's current trim from getting there.

sure, you could put a couple of huge turbos back there, boost it up to 25 psi, and make a grand if you wanted to, but then we're not talking about an STS kit anymore...it has become a custom kit that happened to place the turbos in the back. Again, it's the old apples to apples issue. 1point3liter stated that if you're looking for 400+ hp and want a good chance of being carb legal, it's not a bad kit. This statement is entirely accurate, and what a lot of folks have lost track of is that this is the kits intended use.

In other words, STS never said "bolt it on, boost it up, and go out and play with 800 ponies."

So far, the kit is backing up any claims made by STS. To me, if you need to appease the smog gods, and you're looking for 400+ hp, this kit is a viable alternative to a good H/C setup, without breaking the bank.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:31 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

5 psi is 5 psi, no matter where the compressor is placed. psi is how much the air is compressed. if you took 2 exact same engines and had 5psi from a front mount or 5psi from a rearmount are you saying the rear mount would make worse numbers? same air in + same air out = same power produced. for a blow its a little different because youre using power off the crank to drive it but 5psi will still move the same amount of air and produce the same amount of base power(before blower losses) as a turbo.
i noticed there was a post about another thread which explains this topic very well. do you have a link? i would be very interested in reading it.
1. You are wrong

2. Use the search button
Old 09-04-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

wow, this tread sure is long.

theres been a lot of debate. but from what ive seen it seems to be a cool set up. decent price for decent power.

i kinda think a little turbo lag would be good. i dont like having to work the throttle so much on launches. i think that power coming in between 3000-3500 would be driver friendly. unless you just want to do burn-outs.....

i just wonder about charge cooling. does the kit have any charge cooler? if not, how well does it work with the stock LT-1? safe??

also, what other stuff does the kit come with to support the application and can the kit be installed by anyone with decent abilities?

oh, one last thing. i think its cool that someone does something out of the norm and has good results. some people have said its a sneaky kit but did you see the video? that turbo whistle is very noticable......but i liked it. i wish my SuperQuiet wasnt so dang superquiet!!!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

search for what? efficiency? STS? was it a thread ABOUT that subject or did it turn into a thread on that subject? how long ago was it?
its difficult to search for a specific thread especially when the topic has deviated from what the thread was originally about.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:20 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
Fuel injector and fuel pump installs are not something that a novice mechanic could get done easily.
Not to flame, but Racetronix setups are pretty easy to install. It's just best to have two people when dropping a tank. I've dropped my tank in my SS I used to own alone & it was a PITA at times but I still managed pretty well.

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
Anyone racing from a roll is most likely compensating for a part of their car that is seriously lacking.
Why does it seem that most people here think the only type of racing is drag racing? Many Supras are setup for road course type racing in which they would dominate a car setup for drag racing, so why try to compare cars that are setup for two toally different types of racing. Even if you car can hang ET wise, it in most cases won't be able to hang with a Surpra or car setup for raod courses for sustained high speed driving. Lots of cars setup for drag racing would run out of gas on an open road race....there is a big difference from making a 9 second pass at the track & racing ***** to the walls for 60+ miles on the open highway. Why do people argue a moot point when it's obvious that the cars are setup for different types of driving & like this kit was designed for making decent power & being streetable.

Originally Posted by z98

Well think & read some more.
If you were paying attention, the discussion wasn't the power 5psi makes with different setups, it was in comparrison to other FI. In other words, 5psi created by a front mount turbo is still 5psi. 5psi created by a Vortech is 5psi. 5psi created by a Procharger is 5psi. 5psi from a Magnacharger is still 5psi. There are some other factors to consider, & i'm no pro but, 5psi created by a blower would still incur some hp loss due to being powered by the crank, creating drag on the motor. So is the 5 psi still 5 psi? Yes, but you may not make as much to the wheels due to the blower robbing hp to function.

So again, the discussion was not about different setups & 5psi. Motors are pretty simple in theory, it's a compressor, the faster you can get air into & out of it, the faster it will go.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

in the spirt of reviving old threads ( i seem to do that alot) lol i would like to ADD to this discusison that hasnt had a reply in 7 years lol
I want an STS and obviously an STS can make reliable HP numbers in its stock form using 5psi. Of course for most of us, staying at a puny 5psi for long is like asking a 2 year child not to toch things that arn theirs. Its just not gonna happen lol
My question is about the turbos themselves. THe base kit comes with a t60 (garret?) right? whats the power difference between t60, t67, and what ive sen alot of guys upgrading to a t70 while still staying at a modest 5-6psi? sorry if it seems like thread jacking but im really seriously looking into getting a kit.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Teching In

It needs some kind of block off plate to create somewhat of an "air box" in the back to shield the filter from water and debris.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

STS is ok, it does have lagg, but the charge is way cooler. Less heat is better IMO. That said you wont match the performance of a front mount, but on F-body cars the sts is really nice, cheap and easy.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Fobra
It needs some kind of block off plate to create somewhat of an "air box" in the back to shield the filter from water and debris.
From what ive been gathering STS now makes a Snokel and or a hard pipe that goes up into where the filler neck is and it is "sealed" off from the elements. They do say it can be a source of restriction but if you "vent" the little compartment under there, im sure you can make it work better.

Quick Reply: very, very nice turbo setup on camaro