Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why can't I get my QMP kit to finally work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't I get my QMP kit to finally work?

First of all I do love this kit and the power it makes but no one seems to be able to get the thing to work right with my engine.

When I first got the kit put on by a local shop and then tuned personally by Ed Wright (I live about 5 miles from his shop) I immediately wore out some piston rings and bent a connecting rod with only 7lbs of boost at a 10.8 a/f.

I got the engine rebuilt with all forged internals and lower compression diamond pistons but now I have a new problem. I have constant misfires especially in 5th and 6th gear. Also my car overheats on hot days with the a/c on?

The plugs and wires have been replaced and checked several times. They seem to be working perfectly fine. The guy who installed it said and cylinder #1 and #3 are the only two misfiring. He talked to Rob on the phone and I guess no solution was made but later that day he found out the BOV was releasing air at the wrong time. So the BOV was pulled and we put a block off plate on and the car ran perfect for about 15 miles. Then all the misfires came back and the car just turned to crap once again. Now we are really stuck on why it keeps misfiring. Also, it has been retuned at Ed Wrights since the engine rebuild. Anyone have any ideas pleeeeease?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The overheating can be attributed to the intercooler blocking the radiator. A simple fix for that is to relocate it into the bumper support. The problem with the ac on is that the radiator is getting heat soaked. Hope that helps your overheating problem. As for everything else I have no idea.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vhgjk123
I got the engine rebuilt with all forged internals and lower compression diamond pistons but now I have a new problem. I have constant misfires especially in 5th and 6th gear.
The turbo kit only supplies more air. I'm skeptical that the kit has anything to do with your misfires. I'd start by swapping plugs bank-to-bank, then the wires, then the coils. One step at a time. If the misfires are still in those two cylinders, I'd pull the VCs and look at the rockers, springs and pushrods. If you're still mis-firing, then since you're overheating, I'd pull the head and look for a hurt head gasket or bent valves in each of those two cylinders. Ask your engine builder what were the P-to-V clearances. He should have checked with, what I am assuming is, an aftermarket cam.

Obviously, the turbo kit isn't going to pick out two cylinders and cause them to misfire.

Also, I relocated my I/C, not because my car was overheating, but because it was bumping into the fans more often. No problem cooling in the dead of summer, with the A/C rocking, I just didn't care for the fans being on that much.

Post back after you do the swaps on the ignition stuff.

SC-
Old 08-13-2004, 11:39 AM
8 second mod

Few things!

1-evey missfire i had was from plug wires. I would try replacing ALL 8 and 8 new plugs. its cheep and easy. if that doesnt work id say swap the ciols side to side see if the problem swaps sides, next it check all the grounds, ive seen that as well, last would be heads gasket ect

2- over heating. simple thing that may work, get a couple bottles of watter wetter, and a nice fan switch to run the fan all the time. if that doesnt work a bigger better radiator may be needed, or move the IC
Hope somthing i said helps you out. good luck
Old 08-13-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what is the idle a/f and idle timing set at? or is the misfire under load / all the time?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are running the MSD wires correct? These you can bend out of the way from hitting the manifold... also do not use the metal heat shields that come on the stock plugs.

And the intercooler can be moved to a few places as mentioned. What I am doing is getting an air/water cooler made for our cars from PTK. It is located in the driverside front fender so the radiator set-up should work like factory.

What kind of plugs are you running, heat range and what are the gaps? May sound stupid but make sure the wires are snapped on to the coils/plugs correctly and check the resistance in them.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

What plugs? What plug gap?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

This is a tech site?..... Pull the heads and just look.... are you kidding me.....

Do a compression test and a Cylinder leak down test......

Also try hooking the car up to an ignition scope. A good tech can pretty much tell whats wrong with a car by doing this. You can see if its a coil or a mechanical problem ect.......

Wow, pull the heads off and look. Maybe adjust the carb while your at it.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the replies guys. The guy who put my kit on and built the engine is on vacation until Tuesday but there are a few things I can clear up myself.

The car was misfiring so we changed out all 8 plugs and all 8 plug wires and it was still misfiring. We switched to Jacobs I believe ceramic coated wires. We had heat sheilds on there that were I think made of fiber glass. However because how close the plug wires are to the manifold the heat sheilds burned through so we needed something stronger hence the Ceramic coated. Also we slightly bent the exhaust manifold after changing the wires and put new heat sheilds on. We bent the manifold so the heat sheilds would actually fit without just laying on top of the manifold.

The gap on the plugs has been experimented with but it didnt change anything.

Oh ya I still have a stock cam and stock heads

the only thing that has had any effect lessening the misfires was taking out the BOV and putting in the block off plate.

I appreciate your ideas guys and I will check with the guy when he gets back. Any more ideas are appreciated as well
Old 08-13-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

We switched to Jacobs I believe ceramic coated wires. We had heat sheilds on there that were I think made of fiber glass. However because how close the plug wires are to the manifold the heat sheilds burned through so we needed something stronger hence the Ceramic coated. Also we slightly bent the exhaust manifold after changing the wires and put new heat sheilds on. We bent the manifold so the heat sheilds would actually fit without just laying on top of the manifold.
This is why Rob specifically states that you should only use the MSD wires that come with the kit. Part #32819, only these are to be used, $59.00

The gap on the plugs has been experimented with but it didnt change anything.

Oh ya I still have a stock cam and stock heads

the only thing that has had any effect lessening the misfires was taking out the BOV and putting in the block off plate.

I appreciate your ideas guys and I will check with the guy when he gets back. Any more ideas are appreciated as well
You should be running NGK TR6s.

You should also have someone else tune the car, IMO.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, how does your mechanic know for sure that you're getting misfires? Also, how do they know they're localized to the cylinders you mentioned?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
This is why Rob specifically states that you should only use the MSD wires that come with the kit. Part #32819, only these are to be used, $59.00

You should be running NGK TR6s.

You should also have someone else tune the car, IMO.

The car was misfiring with the MSD plug wires. Changing the wires had no effect. When the NGK's were on the first time before I rebuilt the engine they were causing many misfires. We switched to autolites and all the misfires went away. The misfires did not start until after the engine was rebuilt
Old 08-14-2004, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

First off....what type of software or program is he using to tell if it is misfiring?Does he know for a fact that it's misfiring because of spark?There's only so many things that can cause a misfire if the motor is new and holding compression and the timing chain was set up properly and that is fuel and spark. No or minimal spark and fuel - to rich or to lean. From what it sounds like to me is your miss firing on your companion cylinders and this would be due to a bad coil pack (a bad coil pack will always affect two cylinders, a bad pcm grounding curcuit may and usually does affect multiple cylinders and may change speraticly). Either not having a good ground for the PCM to control or an open, shorted or grounded curcuit.

- by the way if you come across a lot of misspellings in the above statement I'm sorry but it's 2:13 in the morning and I'm tired and about to go to bed. Hopefull this helps!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:01 AM
9 Second Club

overheating is something else...not the intercooler. Too many people have run the TTi kit along with the QMP kit with no overheating. What stat are you using? Are you sure fans are coming on? Are you using a stock cam? Bigger cams cause misfires at low rpms. Who did your programming?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bet you the overheating is from air bubbles from when the motor was rebiult. like every one else says take you coil packs from the misfiring cylinders and swap both of them with the other known good cylinders. if the problem follows you know what it is.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Put the MSDs back on. It was obvioulsy not them.

Put NGK TR6s back in, those aren't the problem, either.

What is your mechanic using to determine where and if you're getting misfires?

You need to scan/monitor the car with EFILive or Autotap. Then report your findings.

It's a possibility the kit wasn't installed correctly, either.

Do you have the 85MM MAF installed?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

i had the same problem,checked all you did turns out a coil was bad but also i had a crappy crank signal check that too make sure the sensor isnt messed up at all
Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Launching!

I believe the mechanic was using autotap to scan my car.
I know he has checked the crank sensor and it was fine.
I will ask him about the coil packs but I am pretty sure he has switched them around and the misfiring still continues.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it
Old 08-14-2004, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Does it audibly miss?

The guys have pointed out all the obvious issues. I think that swapping plugs, coils, and wires are easy solutions, but I would also see if the coil wires or something have a break in them and are grounding out or something. Maybe go over the harness bit by bit.. Have you tried running the car in total darkness to look for a lightshow?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe the mechanic was using autotap to scan my car.
I'd find out for sure.

Quick Reply: Why can't I get my QMP kit to finally work?