Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What do you guys think of the STS Turbo KIt

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think of the STS Turbo KIt

Just wanted to see people's opinion on this setup. Also Would I be able to keep my LT Headers? I am new to this forced induction Stuff so excuse me if that was a stupid question . Also would I need to use new injectors and get a new fuel pump? I know it will need tuning, thats a givin!!

Dan
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=634974
Old 08-20-2004, 05:28 PM
NKAWTG...N

i think y2khawk put it the best (thats why he's a mod!).

if you don't feel like looking at all those other posts (i suggest you do) I think its weird, but it works so what I think doesn't matter. I wouldn't get it, people here can't drive and you get rear-ended...also I think the STS kit can only produce so much power...you'd get more from a standard mounted single or twin set up.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by stoleit
i think y2khawk put it the best (thats why he's a mod!).

if you don't feel like looking at all those other posts (i suggest you do) I think its weird, but it works so what I think doesn't matter. I wouldn't get it, people here can't drive and you get rear-ended...also I think the STS kit can only produce so much power...you'd get more from a standard mounted single or twin set up.
The turbo is far enough back that if you got rear ended bad enough to break the turbo you have alot more to worry about than a $700 turbo.... Besides, I see more F-bodies with smashed front ends being towed than than those with smashed rear ends.

Only produce so much power??? No one has tried to push it past 5-6psi on an F-body and no more than 13psi (correctly) on a truck so how do you figure it wont produce power??? Trucks don't compare either because mod for mod they are about 78-100rwhp less than a 5.7L F-body.

I think when Heath is done testing his kit we will have more base knowledge on what a properly set up STS kit at 10psi will do.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I've had the STS for about 2 months and am running just over 5 PSI.Its a great system, easy to install, easy to remove if you're under warranty and it works extremely well. Lag is not an issue with a manual. With an auto I'd go with a 3K stall.Hasn't been dynoed yet, but we've had the HP Tuner software on it and didn't get any knock at WOT. I'm guessing at 400-430 RWHP.
I've run a new ZO6 and pulled on him in 4th., ran a '03 Viper and we were even in 2nd. (ran out of room ), ran a hyped Gen II RX7,pulled him easily off the line, and pulled him in 4th by a length and a half.
Anyways, point is it works. Will eventualy go to 7PSI and 10 PSI with meth.
(I still have a 45 Gal. drum from my alky days).
About to install electronic boost controller, up-grade injectors and pump.
I don't know a lot yet about turbo's, but all I know it spools pretty quickly.
When we dyno I'm going to use my infra red gun and check the exhaust housing, exhaust manifold and IAT Temps.

Anyways it works

Armin
Old 08-20-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a cheap, effective kit. If you are looking for some extra power, without spending a ton of money, its a great kit. I would get one but dont have that much $$$
Old 08-20-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I've ever posted on the STS threads (maybe I have, but my memory is a rusty trap), but I think this kit is effective. Is it ideal? No! Are you going to see it running 9's or even ten's in a full weight Camaro? I doubt it... Will it surprise a ton of ricers, Cobras and other wannabees? Oh YAH.

I have respect for the creators of this kit, and the people that bought them. You are all the pioneers of the sort that flew, when everyone else said it couldn't be done... that drove in excess of 30 MPH when conventional wisdom said men would die above that speed... etc., etc.

This post gives respect to them that have explored. And this is from a highly invested, conventionally mounted, xxx+ rwhp turbo owner...

TIFWIW

SC-

Last edited by SS00Blue; 08-21-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say if you like snappy boost response don't get this kit. Drove a buddies camaro running this kit with a .81 A/R 62-1 P-trim on his 372 iron block, and the boost response pales in comparison to my PT76-GTS with a .96 A/R housing on a 360 inch motor. I like to toss my car around on the road course, and it just feels like the STS is slow to respond, both with the initial hit and part throttle and after shift boost feels sloppy.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

isn't road course ran at high rpm's? if so the turbo should have a considerable amount of boost by then right?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a similar kit on my Car that I have built but using a T70 with a .96 A/R, with this big of an AR it does have a little lag when you step on it but as soon as it spools up you better hold on. The engine was built to turn the boost way up and I plan to, so we can see what this design is really capable of. Right now I'm set at 7psi because I'm still breaking things in and waiting on my fuel system, after it's all said and done with I plan to up it to as close to 20 as I can get with this turbo. Anyway, right now I'm actually seeing about 4-5lb's because I'm also awaiting the right sized band clamps instead of radiator hose clamps, and at 4-5lb's it ripped the tires loose at a 70 roll, oh and keep in mind my car is an A4

-Sly
Old 08-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I hit 7psi at 3000 rpm with the GT67. I stay at 7 psi through 6000rpm (no drop off). I am not sure what the basis of the poor boost response and won't make as much boost comments is, but there is nothing in the kit that limits either (except if the turbo isn't properly sized -- sizing for remote mount is different than regular mounting).

My boost controller was punked so I haven't been able to hit the 10psi mark yet, but have no reason to believe the kit will react any differently.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I hit 7psi at 3000 rpm with the GT67. I stay at 7 psi through 6000rpm (no drop off). I am not sure what the basis of the poor boost response and won't make as much boost comments is, but there is nothing in the kit that limits either (except if the turbo isn't properly sized -- sizing for remote mount is different than regular mounting).

My boost controller was punked so I haven't been able to hit the 10psi mark yet, but have no reason to believe the kit will react any differently.
werd, I have a 4000 stall converter so boost lag really isn't that big of a deal to me

-Sly
Old 08-21-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL TURBO has one on thier Camaro. Maybe you can e-mail them and see how things are going with their car. I plan on getting one maybe with tax return if the wife allows it.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

I love mine had it on for a couple weeks now i think...its awesome. Spools up really fast i would say 3000-3200 is about right. Everytime i step on it in first gear and hit 3000 the tires break lose and it peels out all the way down the street its a pretty impressive sight lol. I only have the standard T-60 kit @ 5psi and it put down some pretty good numbers for the tune (or lack of one lol) it was given. 11.6 afr all the way through, could of brought it up to maybe 12.3 or so gain a little bit more but for now i am happy with the results. The shop that installed it said they where VERY impressed with the kit as far as quality and performance. A few ppl on this board have got me interested in looking into a intercooler for this kit so me and a buddy and working on it gonna see what we can come up with. Do a search on my posts about the kit to get a better idea or shoot me a PM.

Last edited by BlackCamaroSS02; 08-22-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS02
I love mine had it on for a couple weeks now i think...its awesome. Spools up really fast i would say 3000-3200 is about right. Everytime i step on it in first gear and hit 3000 the tires break lose and it peels out all the way down the street its a pretty impressive sight lol. I only have the standard T-60 kit @ 5psi and it put down some pretty good numbers for the tune (or lack of one lol) it was given. 11.6 afr all the way through, could of brought it up to maybe 12.3 or so gain a little bit more but for now i am happy with the results. The shop that installed it said they where VERY impressed with the kit as far as quality and performance. A few ppl on this board have got me interested in looking into a intercooler for this kit so me and a buddy and working on it gonna see what we can come up with. Do a search on my posts about the kit to get a better idea or shoot me a PM.
Are you dynoing/tuning on a dynojet or mustang dyno? I would keep the AF under 12.0:1 if on a dynojet (probably around 11.7:1).
You'll lean out about half a point on the street. If you are on a eddy current dyno ignore my response
Old 08-25-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having a 408 Iron Stroker built at HPE this winter. I already have a FAST Intake, with the biggest NX DP/NXL nitrous kit available. I have some time to possibly re-think my combination. Sometimes the best mods on my car are the ones that came after I second guess my self.
Is it possible to get this kit to put out even more boost (15-20lbs), or upgrade the turbo to a larger size. I have been looking at turbo kits, and there is just no way in hell I want to change plugs, or do regular maintenance with a big turbo and all the piping under my hood. I already have a TH400 and a stall that is good for 4000+ rpm, not to mention about 1000 other mods.

Can you make a kit that will get me 800-900 rwhp with a 408cid stroker, stage 3 heads, and a Speed Inc fuel system??
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

To my knowledge, no-one has gone that far with it yet. I am waiting on one of my customers to get his fuel upgraded to see what he makes. He has a 408 Agostino motor and will run around 12psi I think. Hopefully in a week or so we will know. We went with a t-70 on his car.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running a T70 on my forged 370 (ya it's not a 408) but I plan to run close to 20lb's of boost after everything is all said and done with.

-Sly
Old 08-25-2004, 09:45 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

With a 408 and a GT70, 15 psi is easily doable with intercooling. With intercooling and meth, 20 psi is also achievable.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

so hows the STS holding up so far now. Its been around now for awhile and starting to hear better things out of them. Even STS has upgraded a few things in their kits like better check valves, better charge pipe, maybe a better pump, FMIC, better tucked intake and filter arangment, and im sure im missiong other things. YEAH YEAH i know its not the best trubo in the world and blah blah blah. I want to know more about the successess and improvments. even with a top notched custom front mounted turbo kit, a bad tune can be just as deadly if not worse then a poor turbo kit choice.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the STS Turbo KIt