Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your limitation is not boost per say or a certain amount. Remember 8 psi with a 60-1 is not the same as 8 psi with a T88. Your limit is cylinder pressure. Also your incoming air temp plays a large role. IAT's of 140+ vs IAT of 100 deg makes a big difference, since your density has changed. Their are to many variables to say X amount of boost is what the stock shortblock can take.

Jose
Old 08-27-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default LS1 Turbo Kit

Why hasn't anyone made a 50 state turbo kit for the ls1? Seems like that would make an easy 500+ hp. Is there something about the California smog laws that prevent this? Also, wouldn't a turbo car be quieter?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver02
Why hasn't anyone made a 50 state turbo kit for the ls1? Seems like that would make an easy 500+ hp. Is there something about the California smog laws that prevent this? Also, wouldn't a turbo car be quieter?

some idiot asked this earlier....oh wait it was you
Old 08-27-2004, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

well without the variables to consider, just plain out boost numbers, would you not go over a certain number on stock bottom end. i dont plan on throwing a charger on my stock bottom end. i am gonna have it built first, but i was just curious! and is there a certain charger that works better than the others out there. i am not to fond of the turbo's, i always like to pop the hood on a car and just see that super charger sittin there whining away! i am really like the magnacharger from what i have done my own research on, but what do you think of it?!?

daniel
Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 68bird
not to seem like a thread theft or anything but, what is the safest amount of boost you should run with any forced induction system on stock bottom end?!? i know a guy around here who has the twin turbo setup on his ls1 and said that the block cant hold more than 5-6 psi?!? he said block, but i think he ment bottom end, but same question for the block as well! thanks

daniel
4.5-6 psi on a turbo only.

6-9 psi if you are using an intercooler with the turbo.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Default sts turbo

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I really like my STS turbo kit.

I might have went a lil big on this new turbo though judging from the extra lag. We'll see if it is easy to get used to. The first turbo had almost zero lag.

I'll get my intercooler on it and try to get some real #s
I just recently got my car and was looking at turbo kits. which sts turbo did you get. and what do you think would be the best for a stock ta.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ca99ta
I just recently got my car and was looking at turbo kits. which sts turbo did you get. and what do you think would be the best for a stock ta.

I got the upgraded kit with the GT35 and dual stage boost controller.

On a stock T/A if you don't plan on going crazy with the power then I would get their base kit and used the money you saved on a turbo upgrade and buy an intercooler or a methanol kit. You can make great power on the base kit (410-440 bone stock) and with methanol or an intercooler defiantely more due to MUCH cooler intake air temps. I would recomend bigger injectors and custom tuning though. The really cool thing about this kit is that you can start off small and add peices as you go to acomadate a budget. If you decide to go crazy later you can swap turbos, add intercooling, fuel system, forged motor etc.

We are doing my intercooler this Thursday and I will report on how much of a difference the going from 150deg IATs to 90 or below will make on 5-6psi
Old 09-12-2004, 03:21 AM
10-Second Club

I am also leaning very heavily on getting the STS kit but I would like a little input from some people that know more about FI.

I currenly have a stock head, stock bottom end 02 TA, B1 Cam (221/558), Jet Hot LT's, Hooker ORY, built 4l60e, Vig 3200.

What I have in mind is getting the base kit with the turbo upgrade for the T67. My concern is will this produce too much boost for my bottom end? I also plan on getting one of the OBX FMIC's. I don't want to have to go through the bottom end for a year or so but I would eventually like to go lower compression & forged internals & go higher with the boost. Will the T67 be too much and or will the T60 be adequte for when I want to bump the boost up some? I know I will also need to upgrade the fuel system at some point as well. I already have tuning on my car for it's current setup & I have lifetime tuning at MTI for retunes so the tuning isn't an issue. Will I need to upgrade my fuel system since I already have some mods & will be putting the turbo on as well?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Marc,
You can still just run 5psi with the t-67. It will come on a little later and hit a little harder though. The biggest difference with the t-67 is that it has the capability of making more power. The 60-1 will not be as efficient past about 500 hp where the t-67 will.
Billy
Old 09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Launching!

when i start seeing some big numbers from an STS kit ill consider it. For now im sticking with going with a 408 with alot of juice cause i need at least 700rwhp. Pesky KB cobras lol

Quick Reply: LS1 Turbo Kit