Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 11:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2khawk
There are a few things I don't know how/or don't have tools to do.

If I had the proper tools to machine my own motor parts I sure as hell would, but alas I still pay for that part.

I have assmbled EVERY motor that has been in my car, measuring all clearances, fitting the rings, etc. I don't port my own heads, I would rather pay for the knowledge of port flow that someone else has than waste my money and time with a die grinder.

I don't know how to setup gears, I've never taken the time to learn. So I still pay someone to do that. I bought the rear housing from Jay cause I don't have the tools/jig to set up a rear end and have the axles straight.

I fab'd my wheelie bars from scratch, all the layout, cutting, grinding and welding. Including the rear end mounts which DERTY and I drew up in ProEngineer and had laser cut.

I layed out my own front and mid motor plates to match my needs, had the front plate machined from aluminum and the mid laser cut from steel.

I fab'd my own headers from 321 stainless, took a week off work and that's all I did. A solid 40 hours of fitting and welding. I did all the hot side work, and the cold side work.

I made my own radiator to fit it's current location.

I made my fuel tank from sheet aluminum to fit my wheelie bars. I asked to use a friends shear and brake to do that. Bent it up, and welded it up. We now have our own shear and brake for such tasks.

I made my own torque arm from scratch when I had the 6 speed. Making a new one this winter for the glide.

I made my own tranny cross member to the glide.

I installed my own cage. The 8 point was a kit from S & W. I bent the bars myself for the 10 point conversion. All the welding was done by me. I bought a hydraulic tubing bender so I can do the funny car conversion (probably 25.5) this winter or next summer.

I did my own mini-tub on the car.

I did my own parachute anchor, as well as bend up the pack mount from scratch. I didn't like what I could just buy, so i made it.

I welded in my own sub frames.

I made my own seat mounts from scratch.

I made my own travel limiters for the front suspension.

I needed to run Low-z injectors, so I designed my own driver box and made it. I am an electrical engineer by education after all.

I made my own valve covers. DERTY and I layed out the head flange in ProE, had them cut. I folded sheet aluminum for the profile, and welded them up myself.

I've always tuned my own car, and always will.

I have alot of help from my friends, DERTY, Joe, Marcus and Coach. The 5 of us have built 99% percent of everything on my car. Not on a shop budget, but on my budget. I've bought some big tools along the way, but damn if they didn't pay for themselves within a couple months.

But I'll be damned if I every become a checkbook racer. I own the car, we built the car with our own hands and minds, and I drive the car. Simple as that.

If making lights on the side to supliment my normal salary makes me a shop, ok. But we all know how much money going fast takes. It eases the pain a little

I'm an EE, not a fabricator, not a machinest. I like to work with my hands, so I've taught myself over the yearts. I can tell you all you wanna know about meeting EPA/CARB requirements for 4 cylinders in 2007 (super duper stuff cause I work for GM).

That's my definition of homebuilt versus shop car. Mine is and always will be homebuilt by Stenod Racing. 5 guys who are friends, like to hang out together, and happen to build a couple turbo cars in our free time.

Matt ,

My post was not in any way to belittle you or your accomplishment. I think that what you have done is amazing and congratulate you! I am just sick and tired of people that claim OH those are shop cars and those are home built ! It doesnt matter who built the car as long as you paid for it yourself! not some sponsored funded by some corp. vehicle My point was that because you perform a service for others (as I do too) that some people think that it is backed by a shop ,Afterall arent shop owners just like us? guys persuing what we love to do. Some just do it better than others I will bet that 90% of the whiners are having their work done ie,installs at a SHOP that would make them a shopcar. See my point?

Again Congrats on your accomplishments to this point and hurry up and get that damn 1st 7 second pass !you deserve it!

Sorry if my post pissed you off that was not my intent
Old 11-14-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chirs, I didn't take it that way.

I was just laying it out there FWIW.

I could care less who built what car, but I know who built my car. And when it comes right down to it, the only thing that matters is the win light

Honestly, half the fun of all this is the crowd the car brings. Satisfaction from being able to say "we built that" or "we made that"

Sometimes I wish I was a shop, then i could write half this stuff off

Anyway, thanks for the props. No misintent taken
Old 11-14-2004, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Supra guy why don't you start a new thread, you are hijacking the thread and most of us don't care about Supras. I think that while some of the 8 second cars have had a lot of shop wrenching, the fact of the matter is that it's great to see all the cars out and running so good.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Please dont get me started on why I hate Supra's........
Old 11-14-2004, 01:39 PM
8 Second Club

PSJ ,
your car is a shop car!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Jay sure did a nice job on your rearend, chassis and cage Chris.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:45 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Jay sure did a nice job on your rearend, chassis and cage Chris.

HEY JOHN F*&K YOU
Old 11-14-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL

Can't we all just get along
Old 11-14-2004, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think the only parts currently in my car that I installed myself are the rear suspension and the rearend.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

^
|
|
Checkbook racer
Old 11-14-2004, 02:02 PM
8 Second Club

^
|
|
Checkbook racer
Actually he is a BARTER racer
Old 11-14-2004, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You should see the big sad face I am making right now, can I come over right now Chris?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:41 PM
8 Second Club

You should see the big sad face I am making right now, can I come over right now Chris?
ummmmm NO! the bridge has been burned!
Old 11-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Supra guy why don't you start a new thread, you are hijacking the thread and most of us don't care about Supras. I think that while some of the 8 second cars have had a lot of shop wrenching, the fact of the matter is that it's great to see all the cars out and running so good.
If you didn't care, then just move along. You sound bitter as if SP is personally knocking you out of every race there in Chicago, lol. Like what's already been covered. Can't we all just get along, lol. :
Old 11-14-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Harlan, Had no idea you did that much fab work yourself. I knew you did the turbo work but not all the other mods you listed as well. Very impressive and a Big thumbs up!

Steve
Old 11-14-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLOWNMERO
Is it just me or are the supra guys the cockiest people in the world?
Strange, because I own a Trans Am , and still I think similar about "Some" ls1 guys. Especially when I read ls1tech. And I have a 4th gen, so I am not baseing my observance on bias. Sometimes people see what they want to see. There are cocky folks in with all types of cars, but I try to be non biased, and would have to say I see MORE cocky ls1 folks, but Just like I don't know them all, you don't know all the supra guys.

It could just be you.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by S_J_H
Harlan, Had no idea you did that much fab work yourself. I knew you did the turbo work but not all the other mods you listed as well. Very impressive and a Big thumbs up!

Steve

Very very impressive man. Nice work.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZBlacktt
If you didn't care, then just move along. You sound bitter as if SP is personally knocking you out of every race there in Chicago, lol. Like what's already been covered. Can't we all just get along, lol. :
we're aren't bitter we just don't give a **** about supras, you're the one that brought all this stupid **** on, now run along to your bf's marko and sp..
Old 11-14-2004, 03:40 PM
8 Second Club

^
|
|
Checkbook racer

I saw the Stenod crew at Thunder and was very impressed with their operation. Very nice to see guys out there who are willing to go the extra mile and do it themselves.

My buddies and I built and tuned 100% of my current combination. Some of us (including myself) are mechanical engineering majors and others long term buddies who just have an interest in racing and ls1's in general. No, it's not even close to being one of the faster cars out there, but like Harlan said the satisfaction of doing it yourself is 100% worth it.

Last edited by FastBlackTA; 11-14-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
WTF took so long to get a Supra to pull the tires?
I'm sure we've all seen the vid of the 03 COBRA getting air under the fronts ON THE STREET.

Let's compare the number of combos, years, and dollars spent (most of the Supra guys can't tell you anything about their own cras) compared to Harlan's car, or the Ohio gang (yes, thay have had a little more 'shop' help, but they certainly know every detail about their car.
Not to mention neither of those F-bodies look like these riced out Supras!

"Let's compare the number of combos, years, and dollars spent" .......

Speaking of

Fast is fast regardless what it cost. The ^ statement above is almost like that hp/ci thing. It doesn not matter who had the most hp per liter. It matters who has enought to get there first. Unless the discussion is about hp/liter , then that argument is valid. But we are talking racing here.

Fast is fast. We are racing, it's whoever gets to the line first. Regardless how hard or how much it cost to get there. 8.80 beats 8.85 , even if it cost $30,000 more.

Have you ever seen a scoreboard at the end of 1/4 mile light up and show the cost of the two cars, and give the win light to the "slower less expensive car." I choose to do my own work on my car, but if I get beat by an "expensive Shop Supra". Faster is faster.

I like doing my own work , and SOME people get more satisfaction from it, but everyone does not have the skill to work on their car, but regardless , who builds it, and how much, the track does not care.

Quick Reply: Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!