Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 04:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpm2800
"Let's compare the number of combos, years, and dollars spent" .......

Speaking of

Fast is fast regardless what it cost. The ^ statement above is almost like that hp/ci thing. It doesn not matter who had the most hp per liter. It matters who has enought to get there first. Unless the discussion is about hp/liter , then that argument is valid. But we are talking racing here.

Fast is fast. We are racing, it's whoever gets to the line first. Regardless how hard or how much it cost to get there. 8.80 beats 8.85 , even if it cost $30,000 more.

Have you ever seen a scoreboard at the end of 1/4 mile light up and show the cost of the two cars, and give the win light to the "slower less expensive car." I choose to do my own work on my car, but if I get beat by an "expensive Shop Supra". Faster is faster.

I like doing my own work , and SOME people get more satisfaction from it, but everyone does not have the skill to work on their car, but regardless , who builds it, and how much, the track does not care.
LOL @ "slower less expensive car" analogy.

I agree with what you said. The winner is the winner. Don't let these guys get to ya!
Old 11-14-2004, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Most of the people I have met and talked to on this forum are by far the coolest out of any other forum I have been to. A lot of people here are just true car enthusiats. Willing to help other people regardless of what kind of a car they have.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

I do alot of my own work. I did not put my bottom end together, nor did I install my rollcage. I wanted those done by someone who has alot of experience in those fields.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well aren't all our cars (f-bodies, vettes, and the truck guys too) just GM shop cars? They did all the basics -- you just get to modify them a bit I respect anything fast, but I think the point that kind of gets lost is that if you have your car built (and I mean like drop your car off stock and pick it up ready to run 8s), then it is not really "your" car. For instance, if I had SP build me a turn key supra, then I take it to the track and run 8s, well to me thats just another SP car running 8s. Just cause I paid for it doesn't mean its "my" parts or ideas that made it run that fast.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this thread has gone off the deep end, dont make me lock this and ban everyone of you
Old 11-14-2004, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Here is a way to go back on topic, will these guys need to go 175... or faster to hit 7's?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Here is a way to go back on topic, will these guys need to go 175... or faster to hit 7's?

I don't think the track will be able to take a 7 second pass but we should see close to 175 this weekend.

As for our car. For those that have seen it know that no shop would claim it. Simple fact is we couldn't afford to pay a shop to build us a car so we had to do it ourselves.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z8'S
PSJ ,
your car is a shop car!
cuz it's always in a shop?!?! LOL
Old 11-14-2004, 09:20 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
I don't think the track will be able to take a 7 second pass but we should see close to 175 this weekend.

As for our car. For those that have seen it know that no shop would claim it. Simple fact is we couldn't afford to pay a shop to build us a car so we had to do it ourselves.
I dont know if it`s too far of a trip but Bradenton is rented for 12/11 from 3pm to 10pm perfect time of day for some good traction. The only tracks that hook better than BMP are Houston and Chicago. Then on 12/12 there`s the NO Bull shootout in Orlando, as long as your streetable( lights+tags) and can make a 20 mile cruise before the race. There will be lots of 8sec-9sec street cars and a 7.8s turbo Mustang and 7.9s nitrous Chevelle. It would be great to have you guys compete.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
we're aren't bitter we just don't give a **** about supras, you're the one that brought all this stupid **** on, now run along to your bf's marko and sp..

Ok I sense an age gap here. So I'll leave what you said there at the end alone. Comprehension owns you as well if you think I brought Supra's on here. Take the time to reread. Bash any car you like, but at least people should get their facts right no matter who the manufacture is. The comments about the price of power in your post above is correct in what you said. Because if you put a Super Charger on your car and got the power you did. I would hate most any Supra too. What did that SC set you back if I may ask? At least you do all your own work from what you said. That would double hurt for the net return and cost.

Oh and for what it's worth, here's Marko's post tonight from the track over at Byron's

Pass 1: 8.70@161

Pass 2: 8.45@163

Originally posted by White Supra
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I am pleased with the way the car ran, although due to track conditions we did not get a chance to run the kind of boost we were hoping to. On the first run I got off the gas completely in first gear. Got back in it and went thru at8.72@161.55. After an hour delay due to a spill down the track, they announced that this was going to be the last round as it was getting late and pretty chilly. I asked the track officials to please lay down some VHT and they did.I guess I became the crowd favorite after knocking off a 9.0 running Mopar with tires the size of Jerry Vodden (SP driver, and my engine builder). So after the prep I launched in the usual fashion and ripped off a1.35 60'. The eigth mile ET was 5.46 at 131. I am very happy with the way the car ran although it being the last track day of the year, I wouldn't have minded pushing the envelope a bit. Unfortunately we didn't get that chance. Next year will be very exciting. BTW it was trailered to the track( Byron, Il) and driven back to my house (roughly 80 miles). Even with good gas mileage, at $17.41/gal it was still a pretty expensive ride home.
It's nice to see LS1 guys posting nice things over there. So get over it.

Last edited by ZBlacktt; 11-15-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
well this thread has gone off the deep end, dont make me lock this and ban everyone of you
Point taken, lol and agree
Old 11-14-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Old 11-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

All the hype I hear about Marco and his Supra I thought he was knocking on the door to 7's. Don't get me wrong its fast but I thought he was faster than that.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:37 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rip the jacker
All the hype I hear about Marco and his Supra I thought he was knocking on the door to 7's. Don't get me wrong its fast but I thought he was faster than that.
An 8.4 car capable of being daily driven is MIGHTY impressive! Hats off to Marco and the guys at SP.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
harlan built his own setup, he doesnt own a shop, mike and steve built there own setup they dont own a shop .
ya supras are fast, alot of them are shop cars, the fastest ls1s arnt shop cars but own and built by poor boy racers.

next year mid sevens for ls1s will become a reality. more and morewill be in the 9's and eights.
Hell, I'm hoping to at least make low 12's . I guess I have some catching up to do

Almost forgot...congrats on the 170
Old 11-15-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Harlan, I understand the pride you have in your car. There is something satisfying about knowing you made something with some skill, a few tools and you two hands.

Congratulations to both cars!
I will be watching the race for 7's.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Anyone know what the minimun weight is for their class? That is some amazing MPH.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZBlacktt
Yes, Rod that is one out there. But your link is a little old. That car now runs a 7.9 @ 180mph on drag radials, yes street approved tires. The car is still 3300lbs ( stock is 3500lbs ) and as I stated, no wheelie bars, lol.
The MVP car is definitely no street car. I do remember seeing it try to run one texas supra meet though.. It was hilarious. As I get to the track and walk up the stands, I see the MVP Supra sitting there in the water, presumably to do a burnout. It sounds like its idling pretty high, but doesn't do anything. About 1 or 2 minutes later, it bursts into flames. I then found out it wasn't idling high, they were trans braking it the entire time to try and get the turbo to spool!! As if if it didn't spool in the first 2 seconds it would in the next minute

Marko full weight street driven, even to the track. 8.6 @ 159. Listen to the announcer say ( some breaking up going on ) foul plugs on that run and it cut out on the top end getting this time.

1.39 60'
130 mph in the 1/8th
8.6 @ 159mph

http://www.sound-performance.com/videos/marko91.mpg

These guys ( sounds performance ) are just across the lake in Chicago. You should meet up at Route 66. Marko is a really cool guy and he will run you for sure. Just get your car in the low 8's is really all I can say. He just Dyno'd the other day a 1243Hp with an automatic and yes built standard 3.0L motor daily driven car. Really good guys over there.
Marko has been though a LOT of motors. I don't think its really daily driven. Maybe "daily driven when it works."

Then theres Titan with their low 8 second Supra, etc. Just showing their out there to some that are unaware.
Whats impressive about Titan's car is that it ran an 8 on the stock 6-speed trans. The factory trans is extremely strong. Its not a street car at all though, no windshield wipers, sway bars, window motors, tiny brakes, etc. They even sanded down the bare frame to reduce weight (rules didn't allow cutting, so they sanded).

Yea, I agree Rick. Any car that is not tuned correctly will suffer the same result at these Hp levels. I have both Imports and a Domestic Sports cars. Didn't want to turn this into that kinda post. I just though it was strange to see some of the post on here and maybe how narrow minded some might be. I for one never put down any car. For I like all types regardless of the manufacture. I'd like to leave it with what the heading say's and that some very nice runs where made here.
I doubt most of these Supras ever really see the street, especially MVP's, SP's and Titan's. Sure they may be brought out every once and a while just to race, but they aren't a whole lot of fun to drive around. Most of the really fast ones have turbos so large they cannot spool well without nitrous. Many are running over 40psi of boost. A 5.7L twin-T66 should have much better spool charactistics than a Supra with a 88mm turbo.

I owned a Supra for 5 years, and they definitely have their merits. Supra guys have been doing turbos for a lot longer than LS1 guys and are a lot better at it. The 2JZ is nothing special, its just tough. Its roughly the same weight as a LS1, but easier to turbo since its an I6.

IMO, if someone tells you they have a 150 mph "street" supra they are full of ****. It may go 150mph at the track, but it won't do anything near that on the street. On pump fuel and without nitrous they just aren't nearly as fast. Frankly I don't understand why someone would want a street car that can be prepared to run fast on a track, as it just takes away from its ability to do street car things. Now if its a street-race car, then it makes sense.

Supraforums is full of ****-talking and false dyno sheets. As I said before, the cars definitely have their merits, but there is also a lot of hype.

Last edited by Grant B; 11-15-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ONE MORE TIME THIS THREAD IS ABOUT STEVE AND MATT BRAKING 170mph, NOT ABOUT SUPRAS

Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Damm this thread is totaly hijacked by Supra stuff... lame.

Quick Reply: Congrats to Harlan and Steve Turley 170MPH!