Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of LS1 F-Body with roots style blower mounted

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
How much will this make on a H&C car?I'm thinking of going to a 6.0L head to drop comp. and go with a turbo. This kit would have to make 200rwhp over what the H&C guys already make for us to buy it. A 100rwhp gain for the amount of money it is going to cost is just not worth it. Could make 100 rwhp cheap and easy with nos. We need atleast 200 hp for the H&C guys to be all over it
Just by reading that reply.....this isn't the kit for you. If you are expecting 200 rwhp from a supercharger, you won't find any supercharger that does that by just bolting it on.

This type of blower runs out of breath at around 530-540 rwhp max. Thats why I plan on spraying nitrous through mine

These blowers make a small cube engine drive like a huge stroker engine. Since I've had three different stroked LS1s, I speak from experience. Instant throttle response, and huge torque at low rpm is what these are good for. They aren't intended for all-out maximum peak hp values. They are better suited for daily-drivers.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cutting of the cowl looks extremely minimal which is cool. I hope the system works and does really well, and brings in more companies to the idea of roots type blowers on an LS1.

I know 1 reason holding me back from a D1 is I want instant boost. For a street car with a few passes a year this looks to be a killer setup. I've read about turbos, and they are nice and all but generally a lot more expensive and no I don't like the STS kit, if someone is going to spend this kind of money on something they better be 100% sure they are going to be happy with it. This kit looks really cool, but the IC is a must, I am sure by the time I have enough $$$ to purchase a kit like this an IC will be out and perfected
Old 11-17-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eviltwins
Exactly what I was thinking. 500 RWHP and these blowers are done for the cobra guys, why would anyone want to buy one? Maybe if it were an intercooled 3.3L whipple I would think about it, but not as they sit.

Unless you just want one to have one, it has no advantage over other units right now.

And turbos seem to be the latest fad anyway, maybe they should invest their money elsewhere.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by term

Unless you just want one to have one, it has no advantage over other units right now.

And turbos seem to be the latest fad anyway, maybe they should invest their money elsewhere.
No advantage? I disagree. The majority of LS1 owners aren't looking for all-out performance or drag strip times. I'd say 90% of them are looking for streetability, reliability, and a good boost in fun factor. Look how many Corvette guys buy those Magnachargers, they sell a ton of them.

If you ever get to compare the dyno graph of a 500 rwhp roots blower with that of a 500 rwhp centrifugal blower, the roots kicks its butt all across the power band, especially in torque. If you are concerned with making the highest peak hp with a supercharger, go with a centrifugal. For daily drivers, the roots is better.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the idea of adding approximately 75rwhp (I'm at 425 right now) but even more excited about the additional 80-90 rwtq (I'm at 400 right now). What is really great is the range at which the power comes in at. Like stated above, down low torque is so much more fun on the street than spinning the motor to 4500-5000 rpm. Most of the time I shift below 3500 to keep the noise at a minimum and would love the additional power down low that this supercharger provides.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is exactly what i am looking for. I have a pretty much stock 99 SS..catback, pulley, lid, K&N, MAF. Its my daily driver and want some more power, but dont wanna sacrifice my driveability. Do u guys think this will be available soon? also where there be like a twin screw upgrade at all? in case i have the itch for more power? Thanks
JacobK
Old 11-17-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
No advantage? I disagree. The majority of LS1 owners aren't looking for all-out performance or drag strip times. I'd say 90% of them are looking for streetability, reliability, and a good boost in fun factor. Look how many Corvette guys buy those Magnachargers, they sell a ton of them.

If you ever get to compare the dyno graph of a 500 rwhp roots blower with that of a 500 rwhp centrifugal blower, the roots kicks its butt all across the power band, especially in torque. If you are concerned with making the highest peak hp with a supercharger, go with a centrifugal. For daily drivers, the roots is better.

Look at track times of the maggie cars vs procharger, turbos, v tech... they are always slower.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

I would think that a non-intercooled twin screw would be the best product for the current market. You wouldn't have to fool with an intercooler and the complexity and other parts involved. The eaton would have to be intercooled when bolted on our high compression motor. The whipple 2300 could not be much taller than the eaton, and if you didn't have to sandwhich an inefficient intercooler in, it wouldn't be that tall.

My only draw back from starting the project was building the shaft to get the pulley to the front of the blower like the magnacharger setups. the intake manifold would probably have to come from magnacharger as it would be a complicated piece. And of course, convincing the wife to drop the cash right now. But maybe in the future. This setup might not be max effort, but I believe it will outperform the intercooled eaton. With that sandwich intercooler, you either going to get good cooling or low restriction, but not both.

DEE
Old 11-17-2004, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

From the shop:

Hi John,
Just a quick note to let you know that the production kits are planned to be the intercooled supercharger. I got a deal on the Non-I/C unit which is why I used it here, but I already have an intercooled unit for the next car. The intercooled units fit in the same space as a non-intercooled on a Corvette, so fitment shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maddboost
They better look at a intercooled setup or its never gonna take off.
why is an intercooler such a big deal?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8seclt1

b/c roots type blowers produce a lot of heat as opposed to other methods of forced induction

EDIT* wait a minute, I guess you knew that, or at least I would assume a person with an 8 second LT1 would know that

Last edited by 2002 Trans Am; 11-17-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEE99TA
I would think that a non-intercooled twin screw would be the best product for the current market. You wouldn't have to fool with an intercooler and the complexity and other parts involved. The eaton would have to be intercooled when bolted on our high compression motor. The whipple 2300 could not be much taller than the eaton, and if you didn't have to sandwhich an inefficient intercooler in, it wouldn't be that tall.
I would like to see the twin screw too, not because I am looking for the gobs of power now, but I would like to have the option to turn my street car into a pure monster (at least a monster in my opinion, some of the cars here are freakish). Don't think a regular roots type blower can handle that.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
b/c roots type blowers produce a lot of heat as opposed to other methods of forced induction

EDIT* wait a minute, I guess you knew that, or at least I would assume a person with an 8 second LT1 would know that
what do you consider a lot of heat?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

what do you consider a lot of heat?

Don't know, I am a noob when it comes to FI and specific statistics.
but from my independant readings, this type of blower produces the most heat. I am sure it is totally safe and slightly hinders performance (also most cost efficient I believe), but if I were to dish out this type of cash, I would like to do it once and do it right....until of course something breaks
Old 11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Don't know, I am a noob when it comes to FI and specific statistics.
but from my independant readings, this type of blower produces the most heat. I am sure it is totally safe and slightly hinders performance (also most cost efficient I believe), but if I were to dish out this type of cash, I would like to do it once and do it right....until of course something breaks
thats why im asking.. cuz there is alot of misinformation going around on the net...
Old 11-17-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

While running a low amount of boost 4 to 6 psi it wont come into affect but im sure if someone were to say run it up to 8 psi a intercooler would be beneficial powerwise. Also just from a marketing stand point people dont like to buy no intercooled blowers.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maddboost
While running a low amount of boost 4 to 6 psi it wont come into affect but im sure if someone were to say run it up to 8 psi a intercooler would be beneficial powerwise. Also just from a marketing stand point people dont like to buy no intercooled blowers.
do you mean to say that people dont want to buy non intercooled roots blowers??

cuz there are more S-trims in this world then all the procharger blowers combined... so I would assume that non intercooled blowers do quite well..
Old 11-17-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

thats why im asking.. cuz there is alot of misinformation going around on the net...

When I did research on this, I tried to find web sites that might not be biased....its a difficult task for sure, but most of the web sites tend to agree that this is a hot blower....but then again this is the type of blower that is found on production cars so is the heat really a problem probably not too much (probably finds it way to production cars because of its price as well)

I guess we all kind of get caught up with whats going on, it seems that everyone on this board has IC, and even people with IC are going to a better performing FMIC.....It seems that it is a must these days
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a friend who put an eaton(m112) on his lt1 car along time ago...1 or 2 years i guess. FWIW
Old 11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

cuz there are more S-trims in this world then all the procharger blowers combined... so I would assume that non intercooled blowers do quite well..
That might be a misleading stat....Again I don't know many statistics, but what came 1st, the S-trim or the procharger

The #s could be skewed significantly if S-trim came out months before because everyone jumped on it when it came out, then when procharger enter the picture they picked up the remaining customers. Also playing a factor would be the financial situations of the purchasers. If you can't afford an IC your not getting an IC and will end up going with the non-IC.....I for one would rather wait a few extra months until I could afford what I really want as opposed to settling.

It would be nice to see if we could get a scientist in here who cn lay down all the facts

Quick Reply: Pics of LS1 F-Body with roots style blower mounted