Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AFR 205 66cc with 224 XER: thinking of a little boost later.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR 205 66cc with 224 XER: thinking of a little boost later.

My set up: I running a set up with AFR 205 heads and a 66cc chamber giving a static CR of 10.2 or thereabouts. My cam is the 224 XER (114 LSA), straight up (no advance). I have access to 94 octane. My mods for the most part are in the sig. I know my tranny will likely need beefing up, etc...

I know its not the optimum set up for FI. The 225s would be better, as would the larger chamber and a slightly diferent cam - but my current set up is what make sense to me now for my needs and I'm not thinking of adding FI for quite awhile (say 2 years down the road).

Will this be an ok set up to add either an ATI set up (i.e. 7-8 psi) or a basic STS kit (4-5 psi)? Am I running any major risks or am I within reason of doing this? I just want to make sure that my set up won't totally preclude the option to reach 500rwhp with added boost, and to do so relatively safely. I know tuning will make the difference too.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any boost on a stock motor is a "risk"

Just need to do it right, I wouldn't run more than 5psi with either a supercharger or turbo....make sure the tune is good as well.......

I would really look into getting a bigger CC head, that will take away some of your worries

The cam can pass, 224/224 isn't optimal, but the 114lsa will help control boost bleed off.....
Old 12-02-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Brian........ it isnt optimal but it will work........ That cam will do ok but not as good as a goos split cam like a 224/230..... the 114 LSA will help some also.... I would say on a good tune... tuned with a Wide Band on the dyno you would be fine with 5-7 psi of boost.... but dont get greedy with boost because it is only a pulley change away...... The stock bottom end should (and i emphasize SHOULD strongly) last a while... but ya never know....
Kyle
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Yes, I accept that boost brings risk. I guess I'm asking more about "unreasonable" risk. I am not greedy - I'll run what is safe. I'm trying to figure out in advance roughly what that SAFE level will be (approximately).

I know the AFR heads should be good and strong for boost, and although the 225s will flow better, the 205s aren't any slouch either.

I guess I am wondering if I can essentially run the same system that someone with a stock setup could run. Will my extra tenth of CR be an issue? Or will the setup be strong enough?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

It SHOULD be fine

Just get a GOOD tune
Old 12-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for your responses.

I also talked to Tony from AFR and he seems fairly positive about it not really being a problem at all. Flow will be good to support a small blower application, and using ARP head bolts and a good GM steel shim gasket the compression will be fine. Though its not ideal, it will be still a strong set up..

Always, a good tune and don't get greedy. Fact of life.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The AFR 205's will work great with your setup.With a Procharger you can run 8lbs safely and even a STS turbo can run 8lbs with an intercooler.Of course a good safe tune is needed for reliability.

On my own Vette I run 12lbs on the stock motor and haven't had a problem all year.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The AFR 205's will work great with your setup.With a Procharger you can run 8lbs safely and even a STS turbo can run 8lbs with an intercooler.Of course a good safe tune is needed for reliability.

On my own Vette I run 12lbs on the stock motor and haven't had a problem all year.
Thanks Slowhawk!

Quick Reply: AFR 205 66cc with 224 XER: thinking of a little boost later.