Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rebuilding my turbo 6.0 liter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding my turbo 6.0 liter

I am now rebuilding my engine since I am back from Japan, and my parts list thus far is listed below.
-'03 6.0 liter Lq4 crate motor
-modified TurboTech kit
-Turbonetics T76 w/Q trim wheel
-Motron 60lb injectors
-Harlan 2-step
-Moser 9" w/35 spline billet axles and full spool
-Denny's Nitrous Ready driveshaft
-Spec stg4 6-puck ceramic clutch
-LG Motorsports Torque Arm
-Competition Engineering 3-way shocks

I want to build the 6.0 liter to handle about 30psi which is my end goal even though it will only see about 16psi until I get a bigger turbo. Please feel free to contribute anything, but I am looking for suggestions on the following areas:
1-what heads/studs should I or do I need to run to prevent lifting etc
2-what rods should I run
3-what maincaps and do I need a girdle
4-what injectors and do I need an impedence convertor
5-will an Ls1 or Ls6 intake be sufficient
6-what other areas need strengthening or upgrading

Thanks in advance for the input.

Last edited by TheTurboLs1; 01-09-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:07 PM
...with cheese.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on how much money you want to spend on the internals... obviously some of the more expensive internal stuff would be stronger... but to some its not worth the cost. I'm running Eagle H's in my 6L with some Patriot III's. ARP studs. I'm also running the 60 motrons. If you don't want to go standalone Fuel, 75's I think are the highest high impedence the stock computer will handle. Do some searches for different parts. People chime in a lot about what works and what doesnt around here. Welcome to the forum. Remember, search is your friend.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I've been doing searches but cant find very much info on build-ups that include complete details on 25+psi engines. I am trying to stay under $2k on the pistons and rods, but I need to get the heads before I can choose the pistons. I will be building my setup a little at a time, hey I'm only 22 . About the injectors, I believe you can run a converter that allows the use of low impedence injectors with the stock ECU. Anyone else have any input?

Last edited by TheTurboLs1; 01-10-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice name!!! i'm Mike Chapman also
Old 01-10-2005, 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheTurboLs1
I want to build the 6.0 liter to handle about 30psi which is my end goal even though it will only see about 16psi until I get a bigger turbo.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok first off you arnt going to be able to build your engine to handle 30psi, not with your budget. never just focus on a boost number, try a power level, ET goal.
if you realy want to run 30psi, put a restrictor before your throttle body to jack up the boost sensor reading.

1-Arp head studs would be good, along with AFR heads since they have the .75" deck height
2-you have many rods to choose from that will work, a forged one ofcoarse, talk to your engine builder. i use a forged eagle rod, a good bang for the buck rod.
3-stock main caps would work, just use main cap studs, if your really planning on uping the PL then a girdle would help
4-injectors depend on your power goals, motron 60's are about the biggest high impedance injectors you can get right now which will support a little over 800rwhp, youll need an impedace converter to drive bigger low impedance injectors.
5- Ls6 intake will be sufficient
6-dont forget about fuel pump and lines, and the ever important drivetrain and suspension
Old 01-10-2005, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

30 psi This isnt hondas man. You can make alot more power with alot less boost. If you ever do get 30psi on a 6ltr, good luck hooking up.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Teching In

With a T-76 and you're only doing what I was doing with a 60-1? I think you're the newbie in the turbo world.

My power goal is 1200rwhp+

About my budget, thats why I build my car a little at a time...I'm in no hurry and I'll take as long as it takes to get what I want. Please dont try and insult me b/c I am in the military and dont make as much money as you, unfortunately traveling everywhere working crazy hours doesnt pay as well as an office job. And anyone who thinks that only Hondas can run 30 psi, please dont reply. I dont need help from inexperienced people.

There are already people on this board who have seen 25-30psi so dont tell me its not possible. Nobody really speaks about power levels at that kind of boost, because most of them have their vehicles on dyno's not capable of taking readings that high.

About hooking up, as you can see from the parts I have thus far I am headed in the right direction.

This isnt an insult thread, im looking for genuine suggestions. If you think something is funny, then just leave this thread. For those with real suggestions, thank-you in advance for your help.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

What are you planning on doing for fuel? I would think you would need at least a dual intank setup. The few I have heard of being near that power level have their businesses rooted in the racing/ performance parts industry.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

nobody was insulting you on how much you make, its that you dont know what it would take to get 30psi or the power level you would be at it you achieved it.
not even Ronnie Duke could afford what it took to get 30psi right now

and how here with an ls1 based motor is making 30psi

is that the turbotech street kit or race kit you got?

edit: nevermind about the 30psi i guess i was wrong

Last edited by smokinHawk; 01-11-2005 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i know a guy with an ls1 based motor very, very close to 30 psi. and it runs pretty fn strong. good luck with your build up and like you said just take your time.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Teching In

The fuel system is still up in the air, I dont know if I should run 2 pumps into a Y fitting with just one large line up to the front or one pump going to each rail? I will be drilling and tapping my stock tank since it is the metal '98 tank. Also, if Speed Inc rails wont flow enough, I'm just going to fab up 2 rails with fittings on each end of the rails for fuel to flow in with velocity stack type spacers between the injectors and the elevated rails to help increase the velocity flowing to the injectors since the rails will be so large in diameter . This is all in theory and will just be tested when the time comes to see what actually works well, so please point out any visible flaws or suggestions. Any other ideas in this area?

Thanks for the support Kaos.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

1200rwhp is a lot of power.

You'd need 160 lb injectors for that power level. You might be able to run one Weldon 2045 into -10 to the front, not sure on what dual pumps to run.

I think you would need an aftermarket computer to handle the 160's or have Harlan stop by and tune your car.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well I'd first like to say don't listen to Smokinhawk. We have ran our car over 30psi with no issues but traction. Next time out it will be set on at least 30 and at a good track. Harlan has to be close to, if not at 30. APE has had issues but was over 30.

TheTurboLs1, You need to do a lot more research before you start buying parts. Not knocking you but your asking questions that you should already know the answers to. Because if your serious about making that kind of power, you have already wasted money on some of the parts you have.

Good luck to you though.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Well I'd first like to say don't listen to Smokinhawk. We have ran our car over 30psi with no issues but traction. Next time out it will be set on at least 30 and at a good track. Harlan has to be close to, if not at 30. APE has had issues but was over 30.

TheTurboLs1, You need to do a lot more research before you start buying parts. Not knocking you but your asking questions that you should already know the answers to. Because if your serious about making that kind of power, you have already wasted money on some of the parts you have.

Good luck to you though.

Well said Mike....... Do alot more research so you dont spend the $$ twice on the same ****..... ive been there doen that.............
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Teching In

About the parts I have, remember the car has already had two different engines that were turbocharged and some of these parts are from those setups. I didnt plan on using the Motron injectors except for breaking in the engine and running less than 16psi with the T-76. I am thinking about the longblock mainly right now and was just trying to see if everyone elses ideas where about where my ideas were. My plan thus far was to go with Callies rods, stock 6.0 liter crank, Callies or equivalent maincaps, girdle, chop up the TurboTech kit and modify/fab whatever I needed, Turbonetics T-88 or bigger, Turbonetics Racegate wastegate, ARP main and head studs, Ls6 intake, was leaning towards the AFR heads since they had a thicker deck but wasnt sure. I have someone that is going to designate what custom pistons and cam once I get the heads.

I am trying to stay with a reprogrammed stock ECU, as I have some friends that have alot of experience with Ls1edit and TecII so hopefully we can get it tuned decent.

Thanks for all the reply's, and I do plan on contacting a few people as well as using whatever information you guys have to offer before I buy anything. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheTurboLs1
I am trying to stay with a reprogrammed stock ECU, as I have some friends that have alot of experience with Ls1edit and TecII so hopefully we can get it tuned decent.
I hope you like tuning the car EVERY DAY.... because thats what its going to take..... do some research on running BIG power on a stock PCM......
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you are going to run a big HP making motor, look into F.A.S.T. sequintial or BS3 for your engine management. Stock is not going to work what so ever
Old 01-10-2005, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

From some of the guys who have been there..

At what point does the stock ECU prove insufficient? I've spent a lot of time reading on the board but never saw a clear cut answer to this. I'm building a turbo setup right now for my LS1 powered FD (RX-7). Although my goals are not as lofty, here's where i'm at:

Mahle Pistons (3.905, -9cc, 9:1)
Callies Compstar Rods W/ ARP Fasteners
Nitrided stock crank
AFR 225's, 72cc (Haven't bought yet but leaning towards)
ARP Mains/Head studs
LS6 oil pump
LS6 Intake
Ported stock TB
60#'s inj. with a good set of rails
Cam...need to research some more
HKS T51R-SPL turbo (76mm comp wheel)

Choice of turbo really boiled down to what I had laying around. Looking to run around 16 PSI on pump all day. If it can take more on C16, great, if not...no sweat. Thoughts on the stock ECU?

Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-10-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Out of curiosity what is your budget? I am not trying to say you dont have or make enough money, just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. You seem to be doing the research and thats great. But understand you can research and research and research and never get it all! You WILL be surprised about the projected cost vs the actual. Again you may have a 20k + budget for this but if you dont, I reccomend you think twice.

Either way good luck to you! And dont sweat the negativity you receive just ignore it!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my turbo 6.0 liter